Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Who? All I saw was a cast of vanilla coaches with very little or no managerial experience, with the exception of Lamont. I hope Theo is happy with Sveum, but I'm glad he's not with the Sox.

Who was your perfect choice?
Dave Martinez or Mike Maddux both would have been better than Valentine.
My choice was Willie Randolph but that was impossible for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,311 times
Bobby Valentine is a great baseball mind, and he has been a proven successful manager. I think it is a great hire, but there are still a couple of things that bother me. First, it seems to me, and the media has covered this endlessly, that Bobby was not Cherington’s pick and that will obviously create some bad blood in the clubhouse. Also, as I keep watching Bobby V press release, I wonder if this is what the Red sox need right now. First, Bobby wasted no time in criticizing once again Becket by his comment about taking 20 seconds between pitches (he was referring to a Yankees-red sox game where he made the same comment about Beckett), is that how you want to create a trustful environment between you and the players? Also, you knew all eyes were going to be on the red Sox next year, do you really need an attention hog like Valentine in the clubhouse? I would have considered other options like Jim Riggleman, also a strong leader, but without the “celebrity” aura that Valentine has. Well, we’ll see how it goes!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Dave Martinez or Mike Maddux both would have been better than Valentine.
Maddux removed himself from consideration, but he would have been a good choice, in the mold of John Farrell. Dave Martinez would have been a decent choice as well, and I am a big Joe Maddon fan, but I don't think he was interested either. Given the candidates that were interested and applied, I think Valentine was the best choice. I also think that this might be a two year stopgap measure with the knowledge that Farrell is available after the 2013 season. The Sox have the luxury of resigning Valentine if things go well, or possibly moving on to someone like Farrell.

To me, the bigger issue is Ben Cherington. He seems like he's not in control, a puppet of Lucchino, and maybe a bit of a lightweight. My concern is more about his ability to get deals done.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maddux removed himself from consideration, but he would have been a good choice, in the mold of John Farrell. Dave Martinez would have been a decent choice as well, and I am a big Joe Maddon fan, but I don't think he was interested either. Given the candidates that were interested and applied, I think Valentine was the best choice. I also think that this might be a two year stopgap measure with the knowledge that Farrell is available after the 2013 season. The Sox have the luxury of resigning Valentine if things go well, or possibly moving on to someone like Farrell.

To me, the bigger issue is Ben Cherington. He seems like he's not in control, a puppet of Lucchino, and maybe a bit of a lightweight. My concern is more about his ability to get deals done.
Remember though when Theo first started he didn't have as much authority either, but I think that was a product of him being so young. Has it been announced how long Valentine's deal is?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I think this will be a complete disaster and he will get fired in 2013

I've heard that Valentine said he invented the wrap sandwich or sandwich wrap back in the day, he really thinks he invented it. That guy is diva, I give him 2 years before he pulls something on the level of when he was in the dug out in disguise after being ejected, before the media and fans in Boston run him out of town. They don't play that mess they want rings, and I think Valentine is too self absorbed to not pull a move like that just out of boredom. Plus is he really that good? He had the Mets pumping a little, but they never won a title, and the Braves were falling off at that point and Philly hadn't built up yet in the NL East. What exactly does he bring to the Red Soxs' table?

Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
It is a decent hire to get an experienced manager behind the bench who has had success in the big leagues. I think it appears to be a far better hire than the Cubs rolling the dice on Sveum.
I totally disagree. The Sox have alot of established (veteran) guys who are set in their ways. Bringing in a guy who is sometimes viewed as an enforcer (who is also set in his ways) can create alot of conflict. For a younger team, he would have been better. For the Sox, a guy who is more easy going would have been better. Think of him like Ozzie Guillen light. This wont turn out well.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
Needless to say, a person can change over a 10 year time span . I know I have. And depending on circumstances it's nearly a given that Bobby Valentine has as well. He might just get it right this time. I might too.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Needless to say, a person can change over a 10 year time span . I know I have. And depending on circumstances it's nearly a given that Bobby Valentine has as well. He might just get it right this time. I might too.
He recently managed in Japan, and in Japan they are set in their ways in the sport of baseball. If you think he might have changed his baseball theories and managerial style, unfortunately you are mistaken. Some people can change, others can't. Guys like Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, and Jim Leyland are and were set in their ways even though they had different styles and BV's ego won't allow him to change. I realize the Red Sox found out that Francona became like a friend to his team and management didn't like that but going the opposite way WILL BE too extreme a change for that team.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
I think Bobby V is one of those managers who either succeeds beyond everyone's expectations or flames out horribly. It's his personality and communicative style. He's bold and assertive. Some guys can deal with that, but he's rubbed others the wrong way. I think that if the veterans buy into his way of doing things, they'll be good. If they don't, V will call them out and it could get personal and ugly in the clubhouse. But let's face it...the clubhouse was pretty bad this year for Boston. That's why they've got a new manager.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
But let's face it...the clubhouse was pretty bad this year for Boston. That's why they've got a new manager.
EXACTLY...ding, ding, ding. Give that man a prize.

Some of you act like the Sox won the World Series this year. They flamed out horribly and ended up in 3rd place...again...for the second year in a row. The Tampa Bay Rays, with their piddly payroll and inexperience, beat them out.

The Sox need huge change. It's obvious Tito, his staff and operating procedure weren't getting it done for the past 3 years. What can happen next year that can be that much worse...they end up in 3rd place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball