Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the AL West in 2012?
Texas Rangers 19 65.52%
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Realistic evaluations do suggest that only the Rangers and Angels will contend for the AL West title this year. So with that in mind, what are the possible difference making keys for each team?

filihok reports that the more sophisticated analysis has the Rangers prevailing by two games. So small a margin could be easily wiped away by the manner in which luck gets distributed for each team.

Thus it is clear that it will all come down to Josh Hamilton and his personal relationship with God. It is evident that the Supreme Being has decided to give Hamilton the Job treatment and is testing the resolve of Josh's faith. What else explains the immense spikes in good and bad fortune for Hamilton?

And that Hamilton has yet to achieve a completely satisfactory state of grace is manifest by God allowing the Rangers to reach consecutive World Series, but not permitting that ultimate win. The Almighty really toyed with Hamilton in Game Six, making him believe that his go ahead two run homerun in the top of the 10th would be the heroic WS winning blow, and then yanking the carpet out from under him in the bottom of the inning.

And...ugh oh....what do we read happened during the off season? Josh had a return bout with the bottle. That was how he responded to God's test of his faith. We know from the Old Testament what happens to those who flunk such tests, they get punished. The Golden Calf stunt got the Hebrews a 40 years in the desert sentence. For coveting another man's wife despite being warned, King David was saddled with a son who rebelled against him.

I don't expect that Hamilton will be turned into a leper or swallowed by a whale, we should look for the wrath of God in the form of the Rangers getting knocked from their top spot, an injury plagued season for Josh, and maybe an outbreak of locusts in Arlington.

Thus, despite that two game advantage on paper, the divine factors displace those measures in critical importance. Put your money on the Angels.
absolutely ridiculous! The Angels will win because they are the better team. Not due to some imaginary pie in the sky theological nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
I predict that either Seattle or Oakland or both will be in first place in the early going. This is because they're playing a short series in Tokyo in late March.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
absolutely ridiculous! The Angels will win because they are the better team. Not due to some imaginary pie in the sky theological nonsense.
You should take this up with Josh Hamilton, I'm agnostic myself.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:28 PM

125 posts, read 251,264 times
I've seen Angels in the Outfield countless times, and it's tempting to pick the new-look Angels. HOWEVER, the Rangers are the two-time defending American League champions and will probably be hungry after blowing the World Series last season. I say Rangers by 2 games.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
The Rangers, despite a current crop of great talent, confirmed only this in the last 2 years: They can't get it done.

I see the Angels surpassing the Rangers for the division title in '12. Texas will get one of the two Wild Cards, however.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

The Rangers will win the West. The first wild card goes to the Rays.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 04-04-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
I will pick the Angels to win the west but I expect the Rangers to reach the post-season at least for 1 game with one of the wild cards.

I love the new playoff format. i'm normally against adding more playoff teams but something had to be done. the wild card winner shouldn't be on equal footing to start a series

Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I will pick the Angels to win the west but I expect the Rangers to reach the post-season at least for 1 game with one of the wild cards.

I love the new playoff format. i'm normally against adding more playoff teams but something had to be done. the wild card winner shouldn't be on equal footing to start a series
Sooner or later we'll see a .500 club winning the World Series. You cannot reward mediocrity without punishing accomplishment.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Sooner or later we'll see a .500 club winning the World Series. You cannot reward mediocrity without punishing accomplishment.
The closest we have come were the '06 Cardinals, WS champs with a 83-78, .515 record. The next worst were the Twins in '87, 85-77, .525, and third worst goes to the 2000 Yankees, 87-74, .540.

The worst team to ever reach the WS? The '73 Mets, 82-79, .509, but they lost to the Oakland A's.

So the danger of a .500 WS champ has been there ever since division play began.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The Rangers, despite a current crop of great talent, confirmed only this in the last 2 years: They can't get it done.
No. You've confirmed that, after the fact. We only know that they haven't got it done, not that they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball