Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the AL West in 2012?
Texas Rangers 19 65.52%
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times

Advertisements

Old thread, I know, but through today, it looks like the AL West is the strongest division on baseball!

After being known as a relatively weak division, its nice to know that there are now at least 3 legitimate contenders in a stacked division. Come on Seattle, step it up!

AL East (W-L): 265-238 (.527)
AL Central (W-L): 241-261 (.480)
AL West (W-L): 214-189 (.531)
NL East (W-L): 255-247 (.508)
NL Central (W-L): 292-310 (.485)
NL West (W-L): 241-263 (.478)

I know that will change once the Astros come to the AL West. But damn, you gotta admire it for what it is right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Come on Seattle, step it up!
11-6 since ASB.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
11-6 since ASB.
That would be nice if all 4 AL West teams could finish above .500 this year. Seems that Seattle has done better SINCE they traded Ichiro, haha!

The Yankees, on the other hand....

The race to be #1 in the AL West will DEFINITELY come down to the last day. I also thought that the Rangers would run away with the division when this year started, and definitely believed that they would finish at least 10 above the Angels after the first month of play. However, Trout/Trumbo and Cespedes/Reddick have a few words to say about the Buf...errr Texas Rangers

On the other hand, I believe the same will be true between the NL West (SF and LA obviously, though AZ is starting to creep up)

For once in my life, Western MLB teams are starting to get a lot of attention vs. the Eastern MLB teams. I am personally sick of hearing news about the Red Sox, Yankees, and Phillies. I believe in the long run, this will be good for the MLB and good for pro sports out in this part of the USA.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
A's and M's are both on a hot streak....
Almost starting to think the A's are for real

Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
A's and M's are both on a hot streak....
Almost starting to think the A's are for real
Shocked that all the A's did at the trade deadline was get George Kottaras. You'd think management would spare a few bucks to get a decent SS or even one more at bat, but no, Kottaras is what you get. Compare that to the Rangers (Dempster) and Angels (Greinke), the A's possibly lost out really big at the trade deadline.

I just realized, the Angels are the COMPLETE opposite of the A's this season in almost every way in terms of how their teams are built, and yet as of now have similar records.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Shocked that all the A's did at the trade deadline was get George Kottaras. You'd think management would spare a few bucks to get a decent SS or even one more at bat, but no, Kottaras is what you get. Compare that to the Rangers (Dempster) and Angels (Greinke), the A's possibly lost out really big at the trade deadline.

I just realized, the Angels are the COMPLETE opposite of the A's this season in almost every way in terms of how their teams are built, and yet as of now have similar records.
The A's cannot afford Dempsters and Greinkes. Billy Beane will look for bargains on the waiver wires.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
They sure could use another bat

Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
They sure could use another bat
And a player who is good at swinging it.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The A's cannot afford Dempsters and Greinkes. Billy Beane will look for bargains on the waiver wires.
Oh I know Beane is waiting for waivers to clear. However, the past two games have shown the A's bats have fallen dead once again and need some sort of offensive help. Then again, the Dodgers haven't been doing so hot either, even WITH our new offensive bats (Victorino and Hanley Ramirez).

Their next series is against the Blue Jays, of which many of the offensive players are injured. If the A's struggle to score vs. the Blue Jays, then it is telling of the trajectory of the A's season.

So, basically ESPN has caught onto what I have said.
AL West sits at top of divisional rankings - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

Congratulations AL West: you are now the new strong division in baseball. How long this will last, only time can tell.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Wow, the Mariners have been on a tear lately!

Could every AL West team have a winning (above .500) record this year? If so, has that ever happened before where every team in the division has a winning record?

Too bad the Lastros are coming over to the AL West next year. Oh well, that provides 18 free wins to every other AL West team, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball