Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

So I have always wondered which MLB stadium has the best design and looks the best to you, not necessarily the best stadium to watch a game but you can chime in with that as well. I am a traditionalist while I like Miller Park I don't love it. The outside resembles an older stadium but inside it resembles a modern steel structure. I prefer open air stadiums like Target Field and Oriole Park at Camden Yards. They actually consider Miller Park as one of the "modern-retro" stadiums along with Progressive Field, Angel Stadium, Chase Field, Safeco Field, Minute Maid Park, Great American Ball Park, Petco, Nationals Park, Target Field and of Course Camden Yards. Then there is a classification of Retro-Classic ball parks like PNC Park and Citizens Bank Park and many more. So while I prefer open air stadiums owners and well most fans prefer a roof in colder cities like Milwaukee. So many people in WI/IL/MN love the fact there is a roof so they know if they are planning a trip to watch the Twins in Milwaukee there will be a game. I wish the Brewers went with the first design of Miller Park to resemble Ebbets Field shown below:

So which MLB stadium is the best looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
To me, Fenway Park is what the others are trying to recreate. If you look at the new ballparks, most are desperately trying to arrive at that old time look and feel, with asymmetric dimensions and quirks.

So, for me, Fenway is the real deal and while you may not get all the bells and whistles of a new stadium, you get the authenticity of a true vintage ballpark. All of the other cities decided they needed to tear down their old parks and build new stadiums that from the 1950s to 1980s were these concrete, circular, astro-turf monstrosities. Then about 15 years ago they started feeling guilty and sorry for what they did and started to replace those cookie cutter parks with new parks that tried to recapture the old look and feel.

Fenway has been consistent for 100 years with some updates and renovations in the 1930s and recently.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
To me, Fenway Park is what the others are trying to recreate. If you look at the new ballparks, most are desperately trying to arrive at that old time look and feel, with asymmetric dimensions and quirks.

So, for me, Fenway is the real deal and while you may not get all the bells and whistles of a new stadium, you get the authenticity of a true vintage ballpark. All of the other cities decided they needed to tear down their old parks and build new stadiums that from the 1950s to 1980s were these concrete, circular, astro-turf monstrosities. Then about 15 years ago they started feeling guilty and sorry for what they did and started to replace those cookie cutter parks with new parks that tried to recapture the old look and feel.

Fenway has been consistent for 100 years with some updates and renovations in the 1930s and recently.

Agree to a great extent though think some of the newer parks deliver on much of the older quality with great new amenities.

Camden Yards started this and some others have even made the experience better.

I am a softy for old parks an love Wrigley as well

Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Actually, it is Shibe Park (later known as Connie Mack Stadium) in Philadelphia that many newer ballparks are trying to copy because it was Shibe Park that Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, and a slew of classic ballparks imitated when they were built. When Shibe Park opened at the beginning of the 1909, it was the first ballpark built with steel and concrete in most of the ballpark. By the beginning of 1916, 14 of the 16 major league teams were playing in new or heavily remodeled steel and concrete ballparks.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am a softy for old parks an love Wrigley as well
I agree. Wrigley is a close second to me, since I'm a Red Sox fan and lived in New England for many years.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Actually, it is Shibe Park (later known as Connie Mack Stadium) in Philadelphia that many newer ballparks are trying to copy because it was Shibe Park that Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, and a slew of classic ballparks imitated when they were built. When Shibe Park opened at the beginning of the 1909, it was the first ballpark built with steel and concrete in most of the ballpark. By the beginning of 1916, 14 of the 16 major league teams were playing in new or heavily remodeled steel and concrete ballparks.
I spent many a day at Shibe Park, when it was known as Connie Mack Stadium. It was a really nice facility, as long as you weren't sitting behind one of the few dozen steel beams holding up the roof and upper deck.

It had a beautiful exterior:

Vintage Philadelphia :: Connie Mack Stadium picture by kennymcintyre - Photobucket

Oakland Athletics - Home Stadiums | Heritage Uniforms and Jerseys

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Ballparks have to meet very different architectural and design criteria, both inside and out, depending on whether it can be viewed from a distance (in the middle of a parking lot) or if they are cramped into an inner city block (Houston, Detroit, etc.).

Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Fenway followed by ATT

Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
I was in Cincinnati yesterday at Great American Ball Park and I have come to realize that I like the city of Cincy a lot and I really love that ballpark but like I stated in the past I love open air stadiums with the tiers in the back of the stadium and single level of outfield bleachers. I was really disappointed in a ton of the Reds fans who attended the game got their Joey Votto bobble-head and turned right around and went home to watch the game.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,006 times
The Ballpark in Arlington....with Fenway a close second
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball