Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 09:31 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It will be fun to watch. DeGrom will be an interesting free agent, and I like him, but his injury history does alarm me. He needs to be in the 94-96mph range the rest of his career IMO 90% of the time, dialed up to 98mph a handful of pitches, and he grew too fond IMHO of the radar gun. Too many 100mph pitches.

The job is to win as often as possible. I am more confident Max will hit 180ip again, than JD, because despite the oblique of 2022, Max does not try to throw ever harder.

Whoever signs JD needs ip related triggers in the contract IMO.
Agreed, JD's contract will be just like Justin Verlander's. The 2nd year will be contingent upon year 1's IP's.

I think the Braves will pursue JD because the Braves had 2 rookie starters fail to launch...Touki Toussant & Sean Newcomb, & Charlie Morton is long in the tooth. Fingers are crossed that Mike Soroka can return from 2 torn achilles. Time for the Braves (Liberty Media) to break open the checkbook.

Whichever team can get & remain the healthiest from now until Sept 30th will likely win the division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 10:15 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Agreed, JD's contract will be just like Justin Verlander's. The 2nd year will be contingent upon year 1's IP's.

I think the Braves will pursue JD because the Braves had 2 rookie starters fail to launch...Touki Toussant & Sean Newcomb, & Charlie Morton is long in the tooth. Fingers are crossed that Mike Soroka can return from 2 torn achilles. Time for the Braves (Liberty Media) to break open the checkbook.

Whichever team can get & remain the healthiest from now until Sept 30th will likely win the division.
Fine year so far for both teams, and my JD concern is "Does he have the self control to dial back mph?"

In 1969-70, the Knicks won the NBA championship. Star defensive guard Walt Frazier later wrote a book admitting if he could stop you in Qtr 1 w/o stealing the ball when he could do so, he would avoid the steal, so you would dribble like that Q4 and then he'd pounce. I'd like JD dialing it down a few knotches, relying on movement and guile. Using 98mph only in high leverage situations. IMO, Max does not max his mph out all the time. He chooses when it is most needed.

Did JD get caught up with the NYM kids he started around (Wheeler, Noah, Matz, Harvey) and get caught up in the radar gun?

He is a great pitcher IMHO, maxing mid 90s.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:51 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
We needed that! Go Mets.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
We needed that! Go Mets.
We did, but annoyed DeGrom kept hitting 100mph in his minor league game today.

I get he wants a huge payday, but I do not think he is pitching for the moment, concurrently. If that is the case, and he opts out, the Mets should not make an offer to send a message to the pre FA kids. He has seemed largely disconnected all year. I understand why he is angry at the way the team handled the contract he signed, but wish he would go out "still all in" for the full term he is here for.

The Mets can afford to sign a 1A to pair with our 1, Max Scherzer.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:15 AM

3.5 over Braves again with last night's Mets & Braves games. Trevor Williams has done a fairly good job in a difficult role on any team, swing man.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:30 PM

Mets lead has been shaved to 1.5 games leading into the Braves series.

The Braves have closed the gap while missing their:

-All star closer (due to return soon)

-All star 2nd baseman (~3 more weeks out)

-All star ace starter (due to return after the all-star break)

If the Mets don't win this series, Mets fans should be worried. The Braves just swept the Nats, and have 4 more against the Nats after the all star break. The Mets play the Cubs followed by the Yanks & Padres.

Jeff McNeil could miss the series due to his wife expecting.

When will DeGrom return?

Gut check time

Old 07-11-2022, 12:19 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
There's also 12 more games left between the teams after Wednesday, so I really wouldn't say either team is in that much trouble. I actually think both teams should be worried about Philly. There's serious Ewing theory potentially with them right now without Harper, and unlike the Braves they have actually been playing good teams, and outside of the Braves series, they are winning every other series against those good teams.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:27 PM

Great first game. It's fun watching games like this, and I'd say it even if I were a fan of neither. Not worried who wins this series, but the All Star game will help the Mets IMO, as soon after it, we should have the 2 aces both baack. Plus Marte & McNeil.

First all Max starting duo ever perhaps?

Old 07-12-2022, 05:25 AM

Sherzer was on last night, and Fried was not, but he still managed to keep the Mets close through 5.

b-t-w- 15 of the Braves games over the past 3 weeks were against: Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Cards, & Braves went .500+

I think the Mets and Braves both make the playoffs. The Mets will get missing players back faster, so advantage Mets over the next month. I don't worry so much about the Phils, but they've hung tough w/o Harper.

Most Mets fans are not familiar w/ tonight's Braves starter, Spencer Strider aka "The Mustache Man", but if he's on tonight, he can be like Sherzer was last night.

Wish I had MLB network to watch this game.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:25 PM

Good battles this series, with Braves winning G2.

Can't wait until we have the Mets back, meaning McNeil & Marte, mostly. Delighted at our first half.

Despite losing, very pleased with Peterson's performance tonight and the last few games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball