Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Lots of people predicted the Rays success in 2008. Maybe just not the people that you pay attention to
Can I ask you a question? (That's a silly question, because I'm going to ask without waiting for permission)...

Do you actually enjoy watching baseball--I mean to say, are you a fan of the game? Or do you just live for the statistics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Can I ask you a question? (That's a silly question, because I'm going to ask without waiting for permission)...

Do you actually enjoy watching baseball--I mean to say, are you a fan of the game? Or do you just live for the statistics?
Why do you feel the need to ask that question?

There are plenty of non-baseball related statistics in the world that I could entertain myself with if I didn't like baseball

I enjoy baseball enough to try to understand it. I enjoy baseball enough to coach little league. I enjoy baseball enough to teach it to kids here in the Republic of Georgia who have never heard of it. I enjoy it enough to watch games at ungodly hours due to the time difference.

How much do you enjoy baseball?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,299 times
Terrible loss. Davis needs to go down to the minors.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Yes, that was a big topic of discussion. Collins says he wants to give Davis every opportunity...but Davis doesn't seem to be taking advantage. Best to send him down sooner rather than later. Especially if Rottino can hold down first base.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, that was a big topic of discussion. Collins says he wants to give Davis every opportunity...but Davis doesn't seem to be taking advantage. Best to send him down sooner rather than later. Especially if Rottino can hold down first base.
Or Turner on 1st

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Wait! You think Vinny Rottino is better than Ike Davis?

No wonder you hate baseball

Old 05-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Wait! You think Vinny Rottino is better than Ike Davis?

No wonder you hate baseball
You need to get a good dictionary, and study up on the English language. I was saying that Rottino might be able to hold down first base until Davis gets his act together.

As of Friday afternoon's game against Pittsburgh, Davis' average has dropped below .160, and the look on his face after each at-bat tells you everything you need to know. He's lost. And the sooner he gets sent down to find his bat, the sooner first base will settle down for the rest of the season.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
You need to get a good dictionary, and study up on the English language. I was saying that Rottino might be able to hold down first base until Davis gets his act together.

Educate me then. What does "hold down" first base mean? Ike Davis is holding first base down right now, right? I could hold down first base if the manager would pencil me into the lineup. I'd hit .000 and make 100 errors, but I could fill a spot in the lineup card. Rottino's not a major league first baseman.

Quote:
As of Friday afternoon's game against Pittsburgh, Davis' average has dropped below .160, and the look on his face after each at-bat tells you everything you need to know. He's lost. And the sooner he gets sent down to find his bat, the sooner first base will settle down for the rest of the season.
I don't see much in Davis' stats to suggest that anything is really wrong with him. But, of course, looking, in a systematic way, at what is actually happening couldn't hold a candle to looking at a guy's face.

Davis is hitting more line drives this season than ever before
2010 16%
2011 17%
2012 19%

He's hitting home runs at a rate consistent with his previous seasons
2010 12%
2011 17%
2012 15%
Home runs per flyball is a decent indicator of how hard a player is hitting a ball.

He's hitting a few more ground balls and infield flies than he has previously. That's of some concern but BABIP looks to be the problem. In 2010 and 2011 Davis had a BABIP of around .325. So far in 2012 his BABIP is just .188.

A low BABIP can be the result of not hitting the ball well. But, Davis is hitting a fair amount of line drives (very close to league average and more often than he usually hits them). The problem is that when Davis hits a line drive he only gets a hit 41% of the time. The major league average is about 72% of the time.

Maybe what you see in his face is frustration at having well struck balls being caught.

If Davis was getting hits at the major league average rate he'd be hitting about .206. That's not good, but it's a lot better. And probably better than what Rottino would hit.

His walk rate is down and his strike out rate is up. However, he's making contact with pitches at about the same rate as he has previously shown (2010/2011 = 77%. 2012=.76%).

The one problem that I see is that he's swinging a bit more often at pitches out of the zone. 2010/2011 = 26%. 2012=31%.

The Mets aren't going to contend this season, probably better to let Davis work out his kinks at the major league level.

*Ike Davis' stats courtesy of Fangraphs

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Davis needs to be sent down. End of story.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Davis needs to be sent down. End of story.
AKA "I have no actual argument and can't add anything intelligent to the discussion"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball