Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 05:48 AM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
How the hell you take deGrom out after 6 innings and 77 pitches?? Steven Matz pitched longer into a game today for the Blue Jays (he was taken out with 1 out in the 7th) then deGrom did.
Agreed. Good news is Alderson admitted they have yet to pick up Rojas option. He is clueless. On top of which, I though Almora made the roster, in which case, bases loaded, Dom Smith should bat for Pillar, with Almora replacing Pillar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 10:20 PM

Due to Mother Nature, the Mets will play games 6-162 continuously, starting 9-20-2021. LOL. Postponed until then.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:27 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Due to Mother Nature, the Mets will play games 6-162 continuously, starting 9-20-2021. LOL. Postponed until then.

LOL. Jed Lowrie (who I think had 7 plate appearances in his 2 years in Queens) has already played in more games this year than the Mets have.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:06 PM

Despite a needed double header win, I abhor 7 inning games, and the crazy runner on 2nd rule in extra innings. The keystone cops in MLB front offices deserve special Ted Baxter seems like a genius compared to me awards for the crazy exception allowing the 2nd to last batter to be the runner, when the last ab was a pitcher..even if it occurred in a double swap after a non pitcher batted.

I do not blame the Mets for using it to have Lindor start on 2nd. I blame MLB for allowing it to occur, when Dom Smith was the last batter, and the swapout of the pitcher into his spot in the order happened after he batted.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Despite a needed double header win, I abhor 7 inning games, and the crazy runner on 2nd rule in extra innings. The keystone cops in MLB front offices deserve special Ted Baxter seems like a genius compared to me awards for the crazy exception allowing the 2nd to last batter to be the runner, when the last ab was a pitcher..even if it occurred in a double swap after a non pitcher batted.

I do not blame the Mets for using it to have Lindor start on 2nd. I blame MLB for allowing it to occur, when Dom Smith was the last batter, and the swapout of the pitcher into his spot in the order happened after he batted.
The rules are a joke. And they make no sense either. I understood it last year to protect the pitchers and players in case of a Covid outbreak playing a bunch of double headers, so OK in extenuating circumstances like 2020 gave us I'll put up with it. So, the part that I don't understand is if Manfred is doing this for "player safety" which is the main reason he implemented it last year, then WHY. THE HELL. is the pitcher batting?? I'm not here for a pro pitcher batting debate, even though I'm for it, but once again safety is why they had the universal DH last year. A whole bunch of these players either A: Had a quarter of the work load they would've had last year or B) Didn't pitch at all, so if we are doing the 7 inning double headers and the runner on second to start rule, then why not keep the universal DH as well?? It makes no sense to me! And it also makes no sense why they do it right away too. I'd personally rather see games end in a tie after 12 like in the KBO and NPB, but can we wait until at least the 11th, preferably 12th before we start adding this ghost runner.

I sent a joke text to a friend last year when I first heard about the 7 inning double headers which went something like this "Get used to the 7 inning games because in 20 years ALL games are going to be 7 innings." At the rate Manfred is going it looks I'll be about 16 years early on that proclamation. Can someone get him out of office before he ruins the game even more than he has??

Old 04-14-2021, 10:35 PM

Jackie Robinson Day at Citi is likely a rainout, UGH. In this case, it is not the game itself I care about, but it is so perfect having that game be a home game (I did not get vaccine yet, otherwise I'd have gone), as the one and only thing the Wilpons did well, was the Robinson Rotunda. I still find it thrilling to pass through that entrance.

I'm an old school Met fan. The Orange & Blue have deeper meaning than simply the present year Team colors.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM

snow in colorado. When will we get a volcano, tsunami, or earthquake cancellation?

Old 04-17-2021, 01:48 AM

They should've done the Robinson day celebration for the Wednesday game. It will be weird seeing them honor Jackie out in freaking Denver, Colorado, assuming they actually even play. Should ALWAYS have the celebration in New York, even if you do it a day early. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They should've done the Robinson day celebration for the Wednesday game. It will be weird seeing them honor Jackie out in freaking Denver, Colorado, assuming they actually even play. Should ALWAYS have the celebration in New York, even if you do it a day early. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed. IMO if on the road 4-15 the Mets should have it every year the last scheduled game, with decent weather, at Citi. Just one stadium has the Tribute Rotunda after all. I also think the Yankees should follow that pattern, having the last 42 (Rivera) who actually asked for Rachel Robinson's permission to keep wearing it.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 PM

Mets cannot win division until Rojas values defense. IMO, there is no role for Davis in a non DH league, and Smith's only position is first. Each gives away more runs than their bats create.

Davis needs to be dealt at the deadline. Bad arm, bad hands, bad decisions. Smith can hide in LF if JD or Stro is pitching. He needs to ride the bench when our 3/4/5 start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball