Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bad Calls. Should more Umps be suspended? Should Instant Replay (IR) be added to the game?
Status Quo. No changes to anything, keep MLB as it currently is. 7 25.00%
Do not add IR, suspend Umps for bad calls. 2 7.14%
Add IR and stop suspending Umps for bad calls. 6 21.43%
Add IR and keep suspending Umps for bad calls. 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Personally I just can't understand watching a play like this and not thinking IR in some form is a good idea.

PHILADELPHIA -- Francisco Rodriguez and the Milwaukee Brewers had a little extra help holding off the Phillies.

Second-base umpire Mike Estabrook called pinch-runner Kyle Kendrick out on a pickoff even though shortstop Jean Segura tagged him without the ball and the Brewers held on to beat Philadelphia 4-3 on Saturday.
Kendrick was the second out of the inning, and the next batter doubled before Rodriguez was able to nail down his third straight save.
After the game, crew chief Tom Hallion told a pool reporter that it was an incorrect call after looking at replay.
"The ball goes in the glove and comes out of the glove with Kendrick diving back in and with Segura diving back for the ball," Hallion told a pool reporter. "Obviously, Mike was in the right position to make a pickoff play call like that. But the way that the play developed, the ball comes free and rolls right in Segura's bare hand and he comes up shows him the ball."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
I'm on the fence. Look at how many calls are made in every game, every day compared to the one or two that are bad - the number of times the umps get it right is staggering. I was watching MLB network, I forget the game, I forget the analysts, but there was a play at second where the runner was called out. All of the analysts chimed in with the "I'm not sure they tagged him" mess. Then after a few seconds they conceded "All of us were wrong and it took slow motion and multiple camera angles to prove the umpire was right all along".

My solution would be to give each team 3 IR's per game, including home run calls. Use them wisely. This should keep the game from getting bogged down and stop the managers from questioning every single call.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
The A's were leading 10-2 in the 8th last night against the Brewers when Weeks hit a shot that struck the top of the wall, bounced up into the air and came back down on the field. The umpires ruled it a home run. A's manager Bob Melvin came out and argued that the ball had bounced straight up into the air and come back on the field, the umpires had ruled that it had hit the wall behind the outfield fence and come back, so it was a home run.

They agreed to review it and while they were off in their huddle, the broadcast showed the replay numerous times from every available camera angle and.....it was absolutely impossible to tell what happened. The ball strikes the top of the wall, goes up and vanishes against the farther wall's background because unlike the fence which is green, the wall is light colored. Not one of the angles was decisive. And it wasn't like from some angles it appeared to hit the wall and others it did not....you just couldn't tell from any angle.

The A's announcers assumed that when the umps returned, they would uphold the home run since that was what was called on the field and the replays were clearly inconclusive.

Surprise...they returned and ruled it a triple. How they determined that is elusive.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
As we saw earlier this season in the A's/Indians game, even with instant replay you have bad calls which are upheld and a head office which shugs its shoulders. If suspensions are a prelude to ridding the league of its worst umpires, I'm all for it, but I don't think Selig, Torre, et al will institute any measures.
That would be Angel Hernandez that made the call.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 PM

I've never been a fan of Bob Davidson. He just misses too many calls.

During the Phillies-Marlins game in 2010, he blew the call for the Marlins by calling a groundball past third base a foul ball which in replay it is clearly a fairball. Must C: Controversial | phillies.com

Old 05-11-2016, 03:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
That would be Angel Hernandez that made the call.
I think I remember that one. Adam Rosales hit a home run, they go and look at the replay, and still ruled it a double. Umpires need to be brought to task.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I think I remember that one. Adam Rosales hit a home run, they go and look at the replay, and still ruled it a double. Umpires need to be brought to task.
See I don't know how in the world Hernandez did not see the home run on instant replay. It's clearly a home run on replay because it went over the yellow line. That was a major miss by Hernandez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball