Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Clay Travis on FS1 said that he wants the Astros to lose because he wants Mattress Mack to lose money.
Loosely following this whole Mattress Mack thing, has he ever said why he didn't just take out an insurance policy for such a gimmick? I thought most companies do that for these large gimmicks where they could end up losing millions.

I know he did this in 2017 as well when the Astros did win the World Series and lost millions and yet again he didn't take out an insurance policy? One would think such a policy would have cost him a lot less than what he will end up losing refunding people they money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 09:26 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
I saw an article in the NY Post the other day which I found very interesting. The author, Joel Sherman, who does work on MLB Network laid out a scenario where AJ Hinch could be the next manager of the Mets. Far-fetched I know, and from what I can tell he loves Houston, but a couple points to lay out:
1) Hinch and the Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen are best friends, each was the best man at the other's wedding
2) Mets are one of the few remaining teams with an opening that hasn't been filled, and are bringing back candidates for a 3rd round of interviews.
3) The Mets fired a rookie manager (Mickey Calloway) after 2 years, and aside from Joe Girardi who went onto the Phillies, every other one of their known candidates will be another first time manager, though 1 candidate, Nationals first base coach was an interim manager for the Rangers the final month or so back about 5 or 6 years. It's going to be a tough sell to the fans to fire a rookie manager and than immediately replace him with another rookie, first time manager.
4) This was the big point that Sherman made: Does he think Hinch is tired of playing damage control answering questions about why they acquired a player with a domestic abuse case pending (Roberto Osuna) last year and this year answering questions about the assistant GM.

I believe that could be why the Mets are doing a 3rd round of interviews; to buy time to see if Hinch has had enough. Yes, they had won the World Series the year prior and the Red Sox were the better team last year but they went down very meekly in the final 3 games of that ALCS in Houston after splitting the first 2 in Boston, and then this year has turned into an absolute disaster in the playoffs, and this World Series looks like it's going to be very bad and not a good look for Hinch. The NL East looks like a tougher division in the long run with the Braves, Mets, Nationals, and Phillies all looking like they have staying power, but I wonder if he's looking to jump ship. He likely won't have to answer those same questions about Osuna, or about the GM in New York. Astros fans thoughts?? I would've said it was below a 0% chance of him jumping, but after these last 2 games, I'll bump the odds slightly to 10%; still don't think he will, but it's on the table now at least.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:32 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Watching Game 7 now. Top of the 9th.

Did Greinke get pulled too soon?

Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Watching Game 7 now. Top of the 9th.

Did Greinke get pulled too soon?
yes

Hinch owns this loss

Old 10-30-2019, 09:45 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I saw an article in the NY Post the other day which I found very interesting. The author, Joel Sherman, who does work on MLB Network laid out a scenario where AJ Hinch could be the next manager of the Mets. Far-fetched I know, and from what I can tell he loves Houston, but a couple points to lay out:
1) Hinch and the Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen are best friends, each was the best man at the other's wedding
2) Mets are one of the few remaining teams with an opening that hasn't been filled, and are bringing back candidates for a 3rd round of interviews.
3) The Mets fired a rookie manager (Mickey Calloway) after 2 years, and aside from Joe Girardi who went onto the Phillies, every other one of their known candidates will be another first time manager, though 1 candidate, Nationals first base coach was an interim manager for the Rangers the final month or so back about 5 or 6 years. It's going to be a tough sell to the fans to fire a rookie manager and than immediately replace him with another rookie, first time manager.
4) This was the big point that Sherman made: Does he think Hinch is tired of playing damage control answering questions about why they acquired a player with a domestic abuse case pending (Roberto Osuna) last year and this year answering questions about the assistant GM.

I believe that could be why the Mets are doing a 3rd round of interviews; to buy time to see if Hinch has had enough. Yes, they had won the World Series the year prior and the Red Sox were the better team last year but they went down very meekly in the final 3 games of that ALCS in Houston after splitting the first 2 in Boston, and then this year has turned into an absolute disaster in the playoffs, and this World Series looks like it's going to be very bad and not a good look for Hinch. The NL East looks like a tougher division in the long run with the Braves, Mets, Nationals, and Phillies all looking like they have staying power, but I wonder if he's looking to jump ship. He likely won't have to answer those same questions about Osuna, or about the GM in New York. Astros fans thoughts?? I would've said it was below a 0% chance of him jumping, but after these last 2 games, I'll bump the odds slightly to 10%; still don't think he will, but it's on the table now at least.
Hinch would be too pricey for the Mets, no? Unless there's a BFF discount. This scenario could make up for letting Girardi go to Philly.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:01 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Despite the loss, this is still a great team, success in the crapshoot post season should not be the measurement.

The Astros have had three consecutive seasons of 100 wins or more, they are very much akin to the '69-'71 Orioles who won a 100 or more three straight years, but only had one World Series win. The '88-'92 A's were a great team, they won one of three World Series.

The ultimate example would be the '91-'99 Braves who won every division title and made it to the Series five times, while winning just one title. That was a great, great team.

By contrast, none of the three recent Giants titles were the product of a great team winning. They were average post season teams which got lucky at just the right times. The three championship teams had won, 92, 94 and 88 games.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:15 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
yes

Hinch owns this loss

Yep. He should have either left Greinke in or put in someone besides Harris. Harris is normally good, but he gave up a home run last night, and someone on one of the broadcasts referred to him as being 'tired' re (likely fairly recent) innings.

Hats off to Greinke for his effort. I'm glad the Astros got him.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yep. He should have either left Greinke in or put in someone besides Harris. Harris is normally good, but he gave up a home run last night, and someone on one of the broadcasts referred to him as being 'tired' re (likely fairly recent) innings.

Hats off to Greinke for his effort. I'm glad the Astros got him.
I knew it was going to be trouble.

Nats had beat up most of the bullpen. They had no clue against Greinke.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Greinke did a great job. But why didn't he replace Harris (or Osuna) with Cole? By the time Urquidy was put in it was too late. Even the commentators were mystified at that decision.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I knew it was going to be trouble.

Nats had beat up most of the bullpen. They had no clue against Greinke.

Hinch just rightfully heaped superlatives on Greinke in his post game interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball