Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 06:23 PM

34,038 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

I adore the idea btw of BOTH DeGrom & Stras being one team MLB all star quality pitchers.

I wish teams would understand the value of career players more often, despite the fact it may escape either a P & L or a GrandStander metric of some kind. Low-balling studs because they are in pre FA years is bad business policy IMO, long-term. The Nationals do not engage in the practice nearly as much as the Mets do. I think when you do it, you reduce your odds of signing guys in the last 24 months prior to FA, as should be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
I was hoping we would have at least a couple of weeks to just celebrate before all this contract and money talk started - we might lose Strasburg to free agency and I'm already resigned to the fact that Rendon's gonna leave

You know what: now that they won the whole thing and the World Series Flag is going to fly at 1500 S Capital Ave (and whatever future parks) for the rest of history, so whatever happens in the winter, happens. Whoever leaves, leaves. I wanted to see 1 championship in my lifetime, I did, so if they both leave and they struggle to a 3rd or 4th place finish next year they aren't going to suddenly lower the flag and take it down.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
You know what: now that they won the whole thing and the World Series Flag is going to fly at 1500 S Capital Ave (and whatever future parks) for the rest of history, so whatever happens in the winter, happens. Whoever leaves, leaves. I wanted to see 1 championship in my lifetime, I did, so if they both leave and they struggle to a 3rd or 4th place finish next year they aren't going to suddenly lower the flag and take it down.
I know what you mean. I moved to the Bay Area in 1973, and it was a mere 37 seasons later that the Giants won the Series. After that, the 2012 and 2014 titles were nice, but nowhere nearly as gratifying as the first.

I think that Washington's title has come at what appears to be the end of an era, they were the oldest team in the league and the Zimmerman-Harper-Strasburg-Rendon core is getting dismantled. I suspect that the Nats next title will feature an entirely different cast.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:26 PM

I mean Soto & Turner is a good enough core and they’ll still have Corbin & Scherzer in the rotation with Joe Ross. Tanner Rainey showed a lot of upside this year in the bullpen so I don’t think it’s all gloom and doom.

They bring 1 of Strasburg/Rendon back they will be a playoff contender; they bring both back I see them as a playoff team. Personally I think Rendon leaves, and Strasburg opts back in for a higher AAV.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I mean Soto & Turner is a good enough core and they’ll still have Corbin & Scherzer in the rotation with Joe Ross. Tanner Rainey showed a lot of upside this year in the bullpen so I don’t think it’s all gloom and doom.

They bring 1 of Strasburg/Rendon back they will be a playoff contender; they bring both back I see them as a playoff team. Personally I think Rendon leaves, and Strasburg opts back in for a higher AAV.
Stras leaving is IMO a remote longshot. He indicated early on stability matters to him, and Nationals treated him extremely well. Strange as it sounds from a Met fan, as a MLB fan first, its best for the game if JD & Stras play for just one team each their whole careers.

Rendon IMO will leave.

I think Max has 2 good seasons(top of rotation) in him. I am less sold on Corbin, as a top of rotation year in, year out guy.

Still I like the Nationals, even w/o Rendon, a few more years, but division is tough, and there is a solid shot Rendon ends up in Braves or Phils uniform. Both have the $$$$$.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 11-04-2019 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Stras leaving is IMO a remote longshot. He indicated early on stability matters to him, and Nationals treated him extremely well. Strange as it sounds from a Met fan, as a MLB fan first, its best for the game if JD & Stras play for just one team each their whole careers.

Rendon IMO will leave.

I think Max has 2 good seasons(top of rotation) in him. I am less sold on Corbin, as a top of rotation year in, year out guy.

Still I like the Nationals, even w/o Rendon, a few more years, but division is tough, and there is a solid shot Rendon ends up in Braves or Phils uniform. Both have the $$$$$.

Nice post!

As also a Phillies fan, I can see Middleton (not the GM Klentak) pushing to sign Rendon, I don't want to see him on the Braves.

Stras - will resign with the Nationals on a longer termed deal IMO - but it's not a done deal till it's done as a mystery team may blow that out of the water.

Mets have the money, but............................., maybe they should move to Nebraska (nothing against Nebraska).

Old 11-14-2019, 05:38 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I know what you mean. I moved to the Bay Area in 1973, and it was a mere 37 seasons later that the Giants won the Series. After that, the 2012 and 2014 titles were nice, but nowhere nearly as gratifying as the first.

I think that Washington's title has come at what appears to be the end of an era, they were the oldest team in the league and the Zimmerman-Harper-Strasburg-Rendon core is getting dismantled. I suspect that the Nats next title will feature an entirely different cast.
I was raised as a 'fan of both' when I was growing up (same with football). My parents took me to all of the home games during the 1962 World Series, but I was too young to realize what was going on. I went to some Raiders home games in the 60s (and of course later), but my dad also took me to 49ers games at Kezar, including the last game ever played there in 1970 (against the Falcons, IIRC). I started going to A's games starting when the A's moved to Oakland from KC, but I'd also go to games at Candlestick, and my dad and other relatives on that side of the family used to take me to "Lefty" O'Doul's on Geary (when he was a kid, my dad saw both Willams and DiMaggio play in the minors). My dad took me to all of A's postseason games from 1971 through 1975. My dad used to go to Raiders games alone before they moved into the Coliseum (my mother told me that after he died (my parents split up before I was an adult, and when my dad died I was well into adulthood)). When it came to basketball (my dad's sport as a player), I was on my own. My dad was a diehard Celtics fan. By the time I was 6, I had picked the Warriors and the Lakers. I sat their with my dad, watching the Finals and, between 1965-1970, watching either the Warriors or the Lakers lose in the Finals, with 'my dad's' Celtics winning four of the six championships during those years....until () the Lakers finally won in 1972 . I rooted for the Giants in the 1989 World Series because they had yet to win a championship in the Bay Area.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 PM

Even including the Marlins, Rendon is a great fit for the rest of the division, as the rest of the division has big needs at the hot corner. I'd say of the big 3 since the Marlins won't be dishing out money like that just now, the Braves have the least need of the 3, but if Donaldson doesn't come back you put them right in the mix. Mets obviously have a big need, Phillies could probably use an upgrade/have at least someone push Franco. The 2 LA teams, especially if the reports are true that he wants a high AAV at low number of years will be in play. 2 dark horse candidates for the Rendon sweepstakes:
1) Rangers. He grew up in Texas, went to school in Texas, maybe even still lives there. He did go to Rice in Houston, but the Astros are currently locked up at his position, though if I were the 'Stros I'd be very concerned about Correra. Someone that young shouldn't be having that many back injuries, that's alarming, so if I got the right price for Correra I would ship him out, sign Rendon and than move Bregman over to SS. But the Rangers look like the better fit, especially as I think they'll spend money moving into the new ballpark.
2) Cubs. This is very unlikely, but would go against the grain. It's well known there will be personnel changes by the time opening day rolls around, both in the dugout and I still believe on the field. One of those players extremely likely to be traded is Kris Bryant. All of a sudden there is an opening at the hot corner. I highly doubt that happens, but with the Cubs who knows.

I'd put Rendon ending up with 1 of these 6 teams: Nats, Braves, Phillies, Mets, Dodgers, Angels about 90% (with the Nats, Phillies and Mets at the front of the pack); I'd put the Rangers at 9%, and the Cubs/Astros at 1%. Never say never, especially after Machado ended up in San Diego, but I'd be very surprised if he ended up on one of the other 21 teams.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Rendon a Met? Remote shot.

I suspect I would list it, in order as LAD (5/200 is rumor), Atlanta, Phils, Angels, Rangers, Mets, Cubs.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 PM

322 posts, read 275,793 times
so far no big news on the free agency market - Parra's headed to Japan so more baby shark, but on a positive note, Yan Gomes has re-signed. I wonder if he still has that final out ball in the World Series? I saw him pocket it after he caught it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball