Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 03:03 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

Luckily they didn't make any moves. There was talk of the Nats buying which was totally stupid. If you "buy' a player with a multi-year contract or even a player/team option then fine I guess that's OK . But they were talking about Robbie Ray (a free agent after this year) and I was like "why??" This team just lost 2 of 3 to the Red Sox who's starting rotation is so bad and has no depth I wouldn't have been surprised if they had a high schooler start in the series, they've won 1 series all season, split 3 others, and have the second worst record in the NL and I think 7th worst in all of baseball. Great, they are only 2.5 games back of the 8th seed because the division is so bad but so what?? With Scherzer and Corbin they may sneak out the first round because there's not gonna be may teams they would play that have a better 1-2, but after that they are done. It shouldn't be with all the SP, but with Strasburg getting hurt and Joe Ross opting out, all of a sudden the SP is now pretty terrible, the bullpen outside of 1 or 2 guys is still terrible, even moreso now with Doolittle's injury and diminished velocity, but not that I can blame him this year with him and his wife living separately until the season ends because she has asthma so that's gotta be incredibly difficult and tough for him to stay focused and outside of Turner & Soto, the offense is a whole bunch of meh. As I've been saying they won last year's World Series, so this year and the next 4 seasons after was a grace period, so irregardless whether they finished 45-15 and won the World Series or 15-45 and finished dead last in baseball was irrelevant to me, and really if there's a season to finish last in, it's this one. I'm just happy they didn't give up on a Kieboom or a Robles to get some mediocre SP or relief arm like Robby Ray that probably wasn't going to change the needle any direction. Let's get out of this season unscathed and focus on getting back on the saddle in 2021!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 03:10 PM

Default 2021: 0-0

They were busy on the transaction wire this winter, let's break the moves down: In October: Michael Taylor (Royals), Roenis Elias (Mariners, subsequently released), Sam Freeman (unsigned), Asdrubal Cabrera (D'Backs), Eric Thamas (unsigned), Howie Kendrick (retired), Ryan Zimmerman (resigned), Sean Doolittle (Reds), Anibal Sanchez (unsigned), Adam Eaton (White Sox), Kurt Suzuki (Angels), and Brock Holt (Rangers) all elected free agency with only Zimmerman returning out of that list of players. In November, they signed Yasmany Tomas, but have assigned him to AAA Rochester. In December they traded 2 minor leaguers to the Pirates for first baseman Josh Bell, and in January, they continued their pilfering of Central teams by signed Jon Lester and Kyle Schwaber from the Cubs and Brad Hand from the Indians, while they officially brought back the Z-Man. In February, they signed Alex Avila, and brought back the creator of the Baby Shark, Gerardo Parra after a 1 year hiatus spent in Japan. With all that said, does this make the team better than 2020?? I'm not so sure. Looking at the depth start, most of the positions are thin, which is really not that good. Obviously, this team will only go as far as the front 3 (Max Schezer, Stephen Strasburg, Patrick Corbin, will take them. The bullpen had a nice addition in Hand, but I'd like it more if Doolittle returned because the overall depth isn't good, and one of the other important guys (Will Harris) is out probably for a while with blood clots I believe, so obviously his health with that is a lot more important. Alex Avila is a perfectly servicable back up catcher, but again if given the choice, Suzuki was the better of the 2. Bell/Zimmerman/possibly Schwerber as well is the rotation at first base. Zim's best days are behind him, but can still pick up the important hit here and there, and really outside of a hot start to begin 2019 Bell hasn't been all that good, and Schwerber is all homer, no defense, so Bell or Schweber is needed to have a big year. Josh Harrison (a career utility player) is the projected starter at second, and they have no third basemen on the roster, so that's good I guess . Schwerber and Stevenson look like they'll be getting the bulk of time in left, Soto moves from right to left and obviously Robles in center, so we'll see how this goes.

Best case scenario: Jon Lester rebounds in Washington from what was for him a subpar 2020 and pitches to a 4.5 ERA and gets 10-13 wins. Scherzer, Corbin and Strasburg all make at least 30 starts and each record 15 wins, and Juan Soto really does turn into the 2020's Ted Williams.

Worst case scenario: Juan Soto isn't Ted Williams like he was last year, Lester continues to falter, Hand, Schwerber and Lester show why neither of their teams resigned them, Bell showed April-June of 2019 was a fluke. And we aren't even talking one of the big 3 getting hurt and missing extended time which will completely capitulate the season (see Strasburg last year).

My predictions: Too many question marks up and down the roster, where even IF Strasburg/Scherzer/Corbin get 93 combined starts (which I don't think they will) not enough in a tough division like this. 3rd place in the East (which might even be a generous prediction). I was a lot more sold before I looked at the depth chart, gah I shouldn't have looked at it!

2021 season opener at home on Thursday evening, and as a bonus the 2019 World Series flag goes up! I still don't think they should raise the banner until Nats Park is at 100% capacity. It's been 2 years already, certainly they can wait another year, right?? Scherzer (5-4, 3.74) starts for the Nats while Jacob deGrom (4-2, 2.38) starts for the Mets with first pitch scheduled for 7:09.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:10 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Soto is the real deal. I am sure of that. The division, well, I can make a case for 4 teams in 2020. It will be entertaining.

I am hoping the covid Nats outbreak is not a severe issue, btw.

I agree with you..raise the flag in 2022 with a full house, and you in attendance.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:57 AM

507 posts, read 277,576 times
I wish they have a good year.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:37 AM

Default 0-0

Mets 0 @ Nats 0 (postponed-Covid).

Opening night at Nats Park has been postponed due to Covid concerns in the Nats traveling party. Even though they have the built in off day on Friday it will not be made up on Friday either. They are talking maybe resuming Saturday, but I think Sunday, or even more likely next week when the Braves come in is the more likely scenario. If it does indeed start Saturday or Sunday then I assume Scherzer and deGrom would still be the scheduled starters. if this whole series gets wiped out, I'll update on Sunday evening for pitching probable's for the Braves series which is scheduled to begin Monday evening. Phillies walked off the Braves 3-2 in extras, and the Marlins lost a 1-0 pitchers duel to the Rays in other action on the day, so the Phillies are in sole possession of first place (who knows might be the only time they have sole possession of first this year ) the Mets and Nats are a half game back of the Phils by virtue of their 0-0 record, while the Braves at 0-1 are 1 back of the Fightin's. Marlins/Rays will be the only game in town for Friday evening, while the Phillies/Braves series will resume Saturday along with hopefully the start of the Nats/Mets series.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:11 PM

Default 0-0

Mets 0 @ Nats 0 (postponed).

The entire weekend series against the Mets was postponed due to Covid protocols. The Nats will retry to begin their season on Monday when the Braves come in. The Nats scheduled starter is unannounced but I assume it will still be Max Scherzer while the Braves will counter with Drew Smyly (0-1, 3.42 last year with the Giants). Meanwhile the Mets will head up Philly to begin 3 games with the Phillies on Monday evening. Game time on Monday, Covid withstanding, will be at 4:05. On Friday the only divisional action was the Marlins losing to the Rays 6-4, on Saturday, the Marlins beat the Rays 12-7 and the Phillies shut out the Braves 4-0, while Sunday action in the division the Marlins were off while the Phillies beat the Braves 3-2, so the Phillies remain in first at 3-0, Nats and Mets stay at 0-0 and go 1.5 back, Marlins at 1-2 are 2 back, and the Braves fall to 0-3 and 3 back.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:26 PM

Default Still 0-0

Braves 0 @ Nats 0 (postponed)

Once again the game was postponed, but sounds like they’ll be good to go for tomorrow. Same starters as Monday, Max Scherzer (5-4, 3.74 last year) for the Nats and Drew Smyly (0-1, 3.42 for the Giants) for the Braves. And Monday’s game will be made up as a double header on Wednesday. Game time tomorrow at 4:05, hopefully, there is baseball from Nats Park on Tuesday!

Old 04-05-2021, 07:37 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Braves 0 @ Nats 0 (postponed)

Once again the game was postponed, but sounds like they’ll be good to go for tomorrow. Same starters as Monday, Max Scherzer (5-4, 3.74 last year) for the Nats and Drew Smyly (0-1, 3.42 for the Giants) for the Braves. And Monday’s game will be made up as a double header on Wednesday. Game time tomorrow at 4:05, hopefully, there is baseball from Nats Park on Tuesday!
Covid postponement or weather?

Old 04-05-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Covid postponement or weather?

Today was still Covid

Old 04-06-2021, 06:55 PM

Default 1-0

Braves 5 @ Nats 6.

Ronald Acuna (1st pitch of the game), Freddie Freeman (1st), Dansby Swanson (2nd) and Acuna again (3rd) all had 4 solo home runs to give the Braves 4 runs. Nats got 2 runs back on a Hernan Perez 2 out single in the 2nd, Andrew Stevenson reached on an error, Jonathan LuCroy had a 2 RBI double but got thrown out at 3rd. Victor Robles had a 1 out walk in the 3rd, and Trea Turner followed with a 2 run homer to tie it at 4. 2 singles and a walk in the 7th loaded the bases, and Acuna added the 5th Braves RBI on a force out but the Nats got out of the inning on an Ozzie Albies groundout, and in the bottom half, Stevenson singled with 1 out, Carter Kieboom and Robles each had 2 out walks to load the bases, but Turner flied out to left. Nats looked to take the lead in the 8th as 2 singles and a walk loaded the bases with 1 out, Stevenson tied it at 5 on an infield single, but LuCroy grounded into a force out, and Yadiel Hernandez flied out to LF. Robles started the 9th with a single, Turner was hit by a pitch, and Soto won the game on a walk-off single. Considering their ace pitcher gave up 4 home runs (albeit they were all solo home runs) and are down their projected starting catcher (Yan Gomes), starting 1b (Josh Bell), starting 2b (Josh Harrison) (don’t even have a starting 3b), starting LF (Kyle Schwerber), projected #3 starter (Patrick Corbin) and probably their 2nd or 3rd best reliever (Brad hand) about anything other than getting no hit I would’ve considered a win. To see them come back from down 3-0 and then 5-4 late, and still win blowing the bases loaded 1 out opportunity in the 8th well that’s just gravy for me, certainly wasn’t expecting that! As I texted someone in the first inning today “Not a good omen for how the game and season is going to go when the first pitch of the season is a home run.” Still 161 to play, but if they show the same fight they showed today may not be so bad. And really as I said last year this is year 2 of the 5 year World Series window so really ANYTHING they do positive is a plus. Good start none-the-less! Max Scherzer allowed 4 runs on 5 hits (4 home runs) with 9 strikeouts in in 6 innings, and Daniel Hudson (1-0) had a walk and 2 strikeouts in 1 inning. Drew Smyly allowed 4 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits (1 home run) with a walk and 8 strikeouts in 6 innings, Tyler Matzek (1st hold) and Josh Tomlin (1st hold) had 1 hit, 2 walks and 1 strikeout in 1 inning, AJ Minter (1st blown save) had 1 run on 3 hits with a walk in 1 inning while Will Smith (0-1) faced 3 batters and allowed a walk, hit by pitch, a single and allowed a run to the 3 batters he faced. In other east series this week the Mets play at the Phillies for 3, while the Marlins host the Cards for 3, both series started Monday with the Cards and Phillies winning game 1.

Teams will conclude the series with two 7 inning double headers, to make up for Monday’s postponement. The Braves will start Max Fried (0-0, 3.60) in 1 game (looks like game 1) with a TBA starter the second games while the Nats starters will be Erick Fedde (2-4, 4.29 last year) and Stephen Strasburg (0-1, 10.80 last year) will start the other; according to MLB.com looks like Fedde game 1 and Stras game 2. Game 1 starts at 12:05 and game 2 starts about 40 minutes after game 1.

Last edited by 7express; 04-06-2021 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball