Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 08:15 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

The yo-yoing continues. Coming off a series sweep of the Marlins, they got swept by the Braves in mid week, and than went to the Bronx and lost 2 of 3, but the 2 games they lost were both walkoffs, so really they could have ended up with a sweep. The Braves went home and won 2 of 3 against the Phillies, while the Phillies preceded the Braves series with a 4 game sweep of the Brewers, the Marlins swept the D’Backs mid week and lost 2 of 3 against the Brewers, while the Mets split 4 games in St. Louis and went home and swept the D’Backs. That leaves the standings with the Mets in first at 16-13, Phillies are 1 back at 18-17, Braves are an even 17 at 1.5 back, Miami is 3 back at 15-18, and the Nats are 3.5 back.

Nats head back to DC following a Monday off day to play the Phillies and then head right back on the road for a 7 game road trip with 3 games in Phoenix, Arizona beginning on Friday. The Phillies will end the week with 3 games in Florida against the Blue Jays, the Marlins start the week in Phoenix for 4 games, and then head to Dodger stadium for 3 games with the reining World Champs, the Braves host the Jays for 3 games starting Tuesday and then head to Milwaukee on the weekend while the Mets host the Orioles for a quick 2 game set starting Tuesday and then following another off day Thursday they’ll head to the Trop for 3 games against the Rays at the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 09:44 PM

Default 21-28

This Brewers series shows what has become fairly evident for a while: This far from a championship-caliber team. They could play the Brewers for 31 straight days from now until June 30, and I doubt they would score 4 runs in a game, that's how mediocre this offense is. This team needs a reset, about the only player I'm definitely not trading no matter what is Soto, but they should put everyone else in the display window with a "for sale" sign now, yes even Max Scherzer (though he has a full NTC with his 10-5 rights) and Trea Turner. And the earlier you start shopping, the likely greater return will be just because that acquiring team has that many more games, and with how bad this farm is, they need all the help they can get replenishing it. And yes, the Lerner's need to sign off on the rebuild and Rizzo needs to unload and rebuild. They got the championship, that's great. They accomplished something the Tigers never did (a title), but like I said 2 or 3 years ago they were staring a Tigers & Phillies abyss in the future if they didn't do something and that future abyss starts in April of 2022. Time to start making it not nearly as big or as long as the Tigers (shooting for 1), and Phillies (shooting for multiple) put themselves into.

As far as the offensive ineptitude: Their 185 runs scored in the 3rd fewest in the majors: only the Pirates (175) who are basically actively trying to lose, and the Mets (161) basically playing their minor league team at the major league level and about 6 less games played then the Nats are the only 2 teams that have scored fewer. Even the Tigers, another team actively trying to lose have scored more runs! An average of 3.8 runs per game isn't going to win you many games, especially this year with Corbin sucking, and Stras not looking like Stras.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:36 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This Brewers series shows what has become fairly evident for a while: This far from a championship-caliber team. They could play the Brewers for 31 straight days from now until June 30, and I doubt they would score 4 runs in a game, that's how mediocre this offense is. This team needs a reset, about the only player I'm definitely not trading no matter what is Soto, but they should put everyone else in the display window with a "for sale" sign now, yes even Max Scherzer (though he has a full NTC with his 10-5 rights) and Trea Turner. .
Sounds like your 2019 late May posts. Too early to write anyone off in the NL East, although surely the Big 2 in NL are the Padres and Dodgers, despite Giants great start.

Old 06-01-2021, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Sounds like your 2019 late May posts. Too early to write anyone off in the NL East, although surely the Big 2 in NL are the Padres and Dodgers, despite Giants great start.
No. The 2019 team at least had some talent there. The 2021 team has nothing.

Offense stinks!

Rotation for the most part stinks!

Bullpen stinks!

I'm not going through the game logs now, maybe some day soon I will, but it seems like they have been outscored by like 100 runs in the fist inning.

It's not the case like the Brewers, who if they ever get going offensively can be very good because the SP is terrific, the Yankees if they can get consistency going can be very good because the bullpen is very good, once the Mets start getting people back from the IL, they can be pretty good. Outside of Victor Robles right now, Strasburg for a couple starts, and the Covid outbreak at the beginning of the year, the Nationals have basically had a healthy team the whole season, yet only the Orioles, Pirates, Rockies and Diamondbacks have fewer wins and 3 of those teams are actively tanking. It will be a miracle if they finish with 80 wins this year because there is not one part of the squad I can look at and say "oh, if they get better production here, if they get players back from injury I can see a run" because they are, at the most part, at full health and are mediocre to bad at every aspect of the game: Starting pitching, relief pitching, offense, defense.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
No. The 2019 team at least had some talent there. The 2021 team has nothing.

Offense stinks!

Rotation for the most part stinks!

Bullpen stinks!

I'm not going through the game logs now, maybe some day soon I will, but it seems like they have been outscored by like 100 runs in the fist inning.

It's not the case like the Brewers, who if they ever get going offensively can be very good because the SP is terrific, the Yankees if they can get consistency going can be very good because the bullpen is very good, once the Mets start getting people back from the IL, they can be pretty good. Outside of Victor Robles right now, Strasburg for a couple starts, and the Covid outbreak at the beginning of the year, the Nationals have basically had a healthy team the whole season, yet only the Orioles, Pirates, Rockies and Diamondbacks have fewer wins and 3 of those teams are actively tanking. It will be a miracle if they finish with 80 wins this year because there is not one part of the squad I can look at and say "oh, if they get better production here, if they get players back from injury I can see a run" because they are, at the most part, at full health and are mediocre to bad at every aspect of the game: Starting pitching, relief pitching, offense, defense.
I think Rendon's great few years masked a rather weak offense even in 2019. Patrick Corbin's agent should be in the Agents HOF. Stras has always been injury prone. Max rocks, but is all the Nats can count on, and between 3 pitchers, a fortune is tied up in payroll.

Turner's innate ability is superb, but his brain cells have never been his paycheck.

The Nats bullpen bad-the sun must be yellow, right? It stunk so bad in 2019 it took Ocober off and starters became top relievers.

No one is running away with the NL East. Mets have been playing well, but we have just 3 starters I fully trust (JD, Stro, Walker), a 4th Peterson is ok, and too many openers. Rainouts help us tons. 7 inning games and openers work well.

As a Met fan, I am not looking forward to Davis back btw, as our D is much better w/o the DH Davis. I see no position for him w/o negative DWAR.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:48 AM

Default 25-33

Not much better. They just finished a 9 game road trip through Atlanta, Philly, and Tampa 4-5. The bullpen has actually been pretty good, take out a few Brad Hand games and the bullpen numbers are even better, and the defense is good as its one of the ML's best if not the best defense in the league. Their problem remains an offense that is completely lifeless, and a starting rotation outside of Max Scherzer that makes garbage look good. Scherzer probably only has a few more starts left in a Nats uniform this year, and I've done a complete 180 on this idea, but the Nats have to, 100%, trade him before July 31, because they have a less than 0% chance of beating the Dodgers or Padres in the playoffs, those 2 teams will eat up the Nats starters, and likely would get demolished in series vs. the Mets & Giants as well. And the more I think about it, the more I think Scherzer would approve a trade. If he does choose to come back to DC, and really wants to come back which I think he does, trading him accomplishes 2 things that the future (22 & beyond) Nats and the present (21 Nats) don't offer him:
1) An ability to win another World Series ring, because the 2021 Nats don't present him that opportunity
2) An ability for the future Nats to improve at either the minor league level, major league level, or hopefully a little of both because obviously Scherzer, even as a pending free agent would return more than a lottery ticket, and an impact middle of the order bat, or a future number 1 starter is something they could use. The ONLY scenario I could see them not trading Scherzer is if he personally states to management that he will not resign here if they trade him in season. I don't care if they are 15 games up in the division on July 30, they have to ship him out because the future outlook is that bleak!

As for the 2021 Nats: They are stuck in the worst possible position you can be in: Not bad enough to completely bottom out for a high draft pick, but maybe their recent cold streak (they had lost 9 of 12 before Wednesday's extra inning win) gets them on that path, but not good or consistent enough to be a playoff contender. Obviously, they got put in this position going for titles in the Haper/Stras/Rendon prime years (12-17) that they didn't win until 2019 AFTER Harper had already left, but going for those missing pieces cost valuable capital that could be a useful piece next year. I realize Giolito struggled in his brief cameo appearances in DC in '16, but he's turned into a potential ace; that'd be nice to have right about now huh?? Nick Pivetta completely sucked in Philadelphia, but he's been decent in Boston. I think Felipe Vazquez is currently in jail, but when he was known as Felipe Rivero he had excellent, future closer stuff in DC. The Giolito trade brought in Eaton who helped win a title, so I'm not going to say that's a bad trade, but all the others listed (Pivetta, Rivera) the players they were acquired for were both gone no more than a year later. Pivetta, would probably be the 2nd best starting pitcher this year and Rivero would just improve an already good pen, and maybe they wouldn't need the starters to pitch as deep??

Also, not trading the potential free agents Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon really set them back. Rendon, probably wasn't going to return a big haul, certainly not as good as Scherzer will or Harper would have, and he, was an instrumental part in the World Series win, so its actually good they didn't trade him, but that would've been in likely at least one half-decent prospect. I understand them resigning Harper was the number 1 priority, and that's why they didn't trade him, but IIRC both the Dodgers & Astros both had substantial return packages with players that would be helping the major league roster today if Rizzo was allowed to pull the trigger on one of the 2. They have 50 days until they reach the fork in the road: the Tigers and Phillies chose path A to keep the veterans around to chase one more (or 1) punting 3+ years on the rebuild. The Astros & Cubs, and a lot of others now: chose path B; blow it up and start from scratch when you realize the roster you have can't compete, so hopefully you can maximize your championship window before you restart the path. It will be a long couple of years, but will be twice as long if they go down path A.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:19 AM

If 7express' ideas were implemented in the 2019 season after 50 games, like Billy Beane , the Nats would still not have won a final game. I am not a fan of 2021 Nats, but 7, you sound like the Wilpon's perpetual excuse which had too many rebuild cycles. I am not a fan of having to bust to build. You are NOT a small market team. Now you put too much $ in starters, PC robbed the Nats. I also think Nats, like Wilpon Mets, undervalued key modest priced guys (looking at 21 Mets, Pillar has been wonders better than Jed Lowrie, for instance. Villar has helped, too. Drury, too. Wilpons found 0 Pillars. 0 Villars. 0 Drurys.).

Finding some modest priced excellent additions is key.

The 5 star hotel line is not always the cost effective way.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:49 PM

Default 26-35

This team stinks! They lost Scherzer 12 pitches into the Friday start, and had a bullpen game for the 2nd game of Saturday's double header (and had Austin Voth coming off the DL for the first game). Despite that, they allowed only 3 runs in 24 innings, yet are currently 1-2 because they have scored only 3 runs in 23 innings themselves. Victor Robles had another TOOTLBAN error on the basepaths to basically end the game. After starting the 8th with a double to make it a 2-1 game, Robles was hit by a pitch, and Josh Bell followed with a fly ball to CF to move Castro to 3rd, so they should've had runners at the corners with 1 out, in a 1 run game with our 2 best, and really only 2 hitters up in Turner & Soto, yet Robles tried for second and was thrown out easily after oversliding 2nd by 20 feet, so instead of tying the game on a fly ball, or really a ground ball with Turner's speed, they needed a base hit (or a wild pitch/passed ball) to tie the game which never came as Turner popped up to end it. Why Robles went to 2nd I have no idea. The ball was hit to right-center field so the throw was NEVER going to end up going to 3rd anyways, and if Robles really wanted to take second he could've and would've stolen it easily in Turner's at bat, so just a really dumb, no IQ play. This is like his second or 3rd TOOTLBAN base running error THIS year alone! This team is so bad that it doesn't matter who starts in CF and whether Robles plays or not, so Robles should be benched through the Pirates series which concludes on Wednesday. I don't know whether they just don't hold him accountable, or he's not processing or retaining information, but these are mistakes little leaguers don't make! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me 3 times I'm an idiot! Those errors happen once?? OK, you sit him down, tell him what he did wrong, and what he can do the next time in that situation. That happens twice?? I'll make my explanation longer, and pull him from the remainder of that game AND sit him for the next game. Happens more than twice?? Figure out, what the hell you are doing wrong and why this is still happening, and in the meantime either sit him for an entire series or send him down to the minors and have him figure it out down there. Inexcusable for this to still be happening, and these have been happening with him since 2019!!!!

Old 06-13-2021, 09:22 AM

I'd like Robles gone from the Nats, as he hits the Mets well. Not sure why.

Assuming Nats are sellers, with Stud starter now an injury worry, I wonder if best chip to offer is Turner. Poor man's option to high priced FA market to come this winter. Still 1 year left for acquirer at arbitration value. Still much cheaper than Story and company. Most of them will be in Lindor neighborhood of cost. May also be possible for acquirer to get a sweet deal giving Turner more in 2022 than arbitrator would, for a few additional years in a contract.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:53 AM

Robles biggest asset offensively is that he gets on base a lot getting hit by a pitch. The defense is good, the speed is good, he’s not good offensively, a complete liability on the base paths and has regressed each year since 2019. Kurt Suzuki and Yan Gomes have each been OK, so it’s not terrible in hindsight, but the fact they rejected Realmuto because Robles was a part of the deal is laughable. I would certainly dangle him. I wouldn’t trade him for peanuts like half of Nats Twitter wants to do, but if they get someone really good back, then he can leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball