Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 04:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
No. It was actually 4-5 after Wednesday's game and now 4-6:

2-0 vs. Tampa

0-4 vs. Dodgers

2-2 @ Padres.

Speaking of the game last night: I'm not sure what happened to Max out there in the 4th inning, but I think something clearly bothered/was bothering him. To go from that dominant to giving up the grand slam to a reliever playing his second career game was something else to see. Was a good game though, but too bad close only counts in grenades and horseshoes and not in baseball and that was a killer game to lose. Luckily it wasn't the Sunday game and have that fester all week, and they get to jump right back on the horse by the Bay tomorrow and hopefully win this series!
I lost track. I did not think gs pitch was terrible, btw. Just a weird swing which happened to reach a fairly short porch area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 09:12 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
The pitch on the grand slam its self wasn't bad. It was just a good swing on a good pitch to an area of the field with a short fence. My thoughts about Scherzer were the walks preceding the grand slam, like he almost drilled Wil Myers right in the head a batter or 2 before the slam, he never loses command of his pitches THAT badly.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
The pitch on the grand slam its self wasn't bad. It was just a good swing on a good pitch to an area of the field with a short fence. My thoughts about Scherzer were the walks preceding the grand slam, like he almost drilled Wil Myers right in the head a batter or 2 before the slam, he never loses command of his pitches THAT badly.
Max is still having an excellent year. On top of that, SD has the most nerve-wracking lineup to navigate IMO. They do not give pitchers many innings off, more than most clubs, even though people incorrectly focus just on the top of their lineup. I think, in October, they will be a more formidable foe than LA, for whomever faces those teams.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:20 PM

Default 42-47

That now makes it 4-9 through the 17 game stretch against the Rays, Dodgers, Padres, and Giants, and now have to sweep the Pads coming out of the break just to reach my goal for that stretch which was 7-9 which still is a losing record.

It's time to get on the phones and do some wheeling and dealing. This has been an average to bad team the last 2 years, and nothing that's happened in the last 12 months makes me think it will somehow get better in the remaining 3 months. I'd be alright keeping Max around if you want to make believe you still have a chance in this race, but every impeding FA should be traded for whatever they can get....even if it's some 18 year old kid in A ball with no legs!

Braves will probably struggle with Acuna now out for the year, but there's no way the Mets deal with as many injuries as they did in the first half in the second half, and don't look now, but the Phils are starting to heat up. Just can't see it happening this year, I'm waving the white flag.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Max is still having an excellent year. On top of that, SD has the most nerve-wracking lineup to navigate IMO. They do not give pitchers many innings off, more than most clubs, even though people incorrectly focus just on the top of their lineup. I think, in October, they will be a more formidable foe than LA, for whomever faces those teams.

They do have a forminable lineup yes, but they also have a complete idiot as a manager, which I'll take in higher regard then the depth of their lineup. Jayce Tingler would get outmanaged by any person that is even halfway decent at the MVP playstation baseball game.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
That now makes it 4-9 through the 17 game stretch against the Rays, Dodgers, Padres, and Giants, and now have to sweep the Pads coming out of the break just to reach my goal for that stretch which was 7-9 which still is a losing record.

It's time to get on the phones and do some wheeling and dealing. This has been an average to bad team the last 2 years, and nothing that's happened in the last 12 months makes me think it will somehow get better in the remaining 3 months. I'd be alright keeping Max around if you want to make believe you still have a chance in this race, but every impeding FA should be traded for whatever they can get....even if it's some 18 year old kid in A ball with no legs!

Braves will probably struggle with Acuna now out for the year, but there's no way the Mets deal with as many injuries as they did in the first half in the second half, and don't look now, but the Phils are starting to heat up. Just can't see it happening this year, I'm waving the white flag.
You do realize rentals do not get much back in trade value, right?

Mets have put top 6 in minors as out of bounds for Cubs, and Cubs are wisely scouting Met kids anyway.

The days of a huge haul for 75 games are over.

Now if we see a trade a stud, offer 48 hour window to extend him or back out-that is different.

So, if Nats deal, it should amongst its best players, under control past 2021, at market or below market salaries for the duration. Those would return the best value.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:43 PM

I know Yan Gomes, Daniel Hudson, Starlin Castro aren't getting back anything more than a A/AA type player, But really, as I've said before getting something (the 18 year old kid in A ball with no legs) is infinitely better than nothing (them leaving for free) and something has an infinite greater probability to develop into something then nothing.

I still think Max, even as a rental would get back the best return. I just have a feeling sometime in the next 15 days a team(s) that are in the pennant race are going to have a pitcher(s) go down, and they'll overpay for Scherzer. Someone like the Padres who just had Snell come off the IL a few weeks ago and now lost Darvish to the IL along with last years pickup Mike Clevinger out for the year and Dinelson Lamet has barely pitched at all for them this year would be a team I would watch.
I've been calling Scherzer to the Yankees for the last 4 years and it still makes too much sense it probably makes no sense. Nobody believes Cashman is really going to take Jameson Tailon, an injured Corey Kluber, a Luis Severino who has pitched in like 5 games since the end of the 2018 season (if he pitches this year at all) and Jordan Montgomery into the playoffs with Cole as the Yankees starting rotation.
An outside the box team: how about the Mariners and Angels both teetering on the edge of the AL West. Seattle has the longest playoff drought in North America, acquiring Scherzer would give a shot in the arm to the team, the city, and the fans; and the Angels who have been wasting away Mike Trout's golden years and now have gotten a God-like first half from Shohei Ohtani, I could definitely see those 2 teams in play depending on how the first 10 games for those respective teams go. Of course Scherzer is calling all the shots with his 10-5 rights and full no trade clause, if he really wanted to help the Nats, he's agree to a trade: Someone will definitely pay a ransom and 2, the Nats are definitely not winning the 2021 World Series, so do like the Yankees did with Chapman; ship him off to a desperate team for an overpriced return, and than resign him at the end of the season.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Mets are about to finish 7 straight games against the Pirates 2-5 and the Nats will STILL lose at least a half game on the Mets in the standings.
The Braves lost Acuna for the year on Saturday; they were 2 back after play on Saturday and a week later will be at best 4 back.

Trash team. I'm actually going to DC this week and have absolutely no interest in seeing a game.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Mets are about to finish 7 straight games against the Pirates 2-5 and the Nats will STILL lose at least a half game on the Mets in the standings.
The Braves lost Acuna for the year on Saturday; they were 2 back after play on Saturday and a week later will be at best 4 back.

Trash team. I'm actually going to DC this week and have absolutely no interest in seeing a game.
On the bright side, no gunshots at the park in DC today.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 AM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Strasburg another setback due to an "achy" neck. Can't see Max missing this much time for an achy neck. Appreciate all that Stras has done for the franchise, but seems like he's very comfortable collecting $35M a year to do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball