Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 09:03 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

The WaPo is reporting that "Ace Max Scherzer, star shortstop Trea Turner set to go to Los Angeles Dodgers as Nats’ rebuild begins"

Excerpt: "The Washington Nationals agreed to trade stars Max Scherzer and Trea Turner to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday night, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation, dramatically altering their roster while signaling a rebuild just two years after winning the World Series. ... As of late Thursday, the trade was agreed upon but pending medical reviews for all players involved. The deal, expected to be completed before Friday’s 4 p.m. MLB trade deadline, takes two more title-winning cornerstones out of Washington...."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 09:15 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The WaPo is reporting that "Ace Max Scherzer, star shortstop Trea Turner set to go to Los Angeles Dodgers as Nats’ rebuild begins"

Excerpt: "The Washington Nationals agreed to trade stars Max Scherzer and Trea Turner to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday night, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation, dramatically altering their roster while signaling a rebuild just two years after winning the World Series. ... As of late Thursday, the trade was agreed upon but pending medical reviews for all players involved. The deal, expected to be completed before Friday’s 4 p.m. MLB trade deadline, takes two more title-winning cornerstones out of Washington...."
Incredible. Soto should draw 150+ walks each of the next several seasons.

I did expect a trade of Max, but not both. I now think the Fish finish 4th in 2021, ahead of the Nationals.

The most logical thing they can do now is let all but Soto go at FA, drain the payroll as much as possible, and when enough kids get enough seasoning invest in a new class of free agents in a few years.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 PM

Schwarber gone now, joining Hand, Scherzer, Turner this week.

I would be hard pressed to guess the Nats starting lineup, even after covid affects dissipate.

7express, You now have the rebuild you requested.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Surprisngly I'm thinking they could've done more with the Dodgers.

my reasoning: Take each separately. For just Scherzer alone 1 of Gray (#2) or Ruiz (#1) would've been OK, put a Cardillo in there and maybe someone else outside the top 35 and that's a fair trade. You have to give up something to get something even a rental, and I think that would've been a fair haul for both sides.
For Turner: He's younger, has 6 more months of control, so if the Dodgers offered Gray AND Ruiz I think that would be a fair deal as well. But I just think the Nats should've tried for just 1 more player, and it turns out the Dodgers are taking on salary, so maybe they don't the salary and the Nats get the extra player who knows?? All I know is I would've at least asked for either Gavin Lux, Tony Gonsolin, or Dustin May (out with TJ probably until the second half of 22). What's the worst that happens in that case?? The Dodgers say no?? So then you just take Turner off the table because you don't really need to trade him now, you can always revisit it in the winter or at next year's trade deadline. And then do one of 2 things after that which both involve Scherzer only because as I've said you have to trade him:

A) Talk to the Dodgers about Scherzer only. Or my better scenario:
B) Go re-negotiate with the mad scientist AJ Preller and the Pads. Their rotation STINKS! Maybe seeing his closest rival this close to swooping under their noses and getting someone he thought he had maybe he improves his offer?? I never saw the 3 players that were involved in the original trade with the Pads but I believe one of them was current starter Chris Pradduck. Maybe Preller offers CJ Abrams or McKenzie Gore instead, but at the least you still have Turner, and you have the Pads original offer, which to be fair was not what I would've prefered but better then nothing! So to recap.....I really do like the players from the Dodgers. Ruiz (the catcher) was on my list since the day the Turner rumors to the Dodgers surfaced this week, and I think Gray will be good, both will probably be up this year, especially if Gomes gets dealt, no clue about the 2 other lower ranked guys, but would've liked to see if they could've gotten a Lux/Gonsolin/May as well. Still like the trade overall, think it benefits both teams, but if the Nats get that extra player I give them an A, instead I have to settle for an A-/B+. If they can get someone to eat Corbin's contract before 4 PM I'll grade them an A+.

Turner's the only one I'm really sad about. Scherzer was a must go, I figured Hand and Hudson were also as good as gone, but I figured that would be it with Schwerber and Gomes out. But they got something back to Schwerber and it sounds like they are kicking tires on Yan Gomes and Josh Harrison as well, and hopefully a few others tomorrow morning. So I'm generally excited to see how the rest of this year goes. At any rate a bottom 3 farm system at 1 AM on July 29 is a lot closer to #20 than number 30 at 1 AM on July 30, and with a few more dealings by Rizzo in the next 15 hours that number could even jump closer to #15.

And we are still giving fits to the Phillies . The series only finished 2-2, but the Phils 2 wins were both walkoff wins. Too bad they blew a 7-0 lead in the 7 inning game otherwise we would've won 3 of 4 against them

Old 07-30-2021, 05:38 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Not sure I've ever seen a worse post-championship meltdown in any sport than the Nats. Bye Nats.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:21 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Not sure I've ever seen a worse post-championship meltdown in any sport than the Nats. Bye Nats.
1997-1998 Marlins were much worse, much faster.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:51 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Why Turner?

Old 07-30-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:

*The 97-98 Florida Marlins have entered the chat*

Old 07-30-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
*The 97-98 Florida Marlins have entered the chat*
Will you be on the Nats roster tonight? Yes, this was the most complete salary dump I have ever seen.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Outside of Turner literally EVERYONE else they dealt was on an expiring contract (Hand and Schwerber both had options I believe). And outside of Scherzer and Turner nobody else was that big of a loss, as judged by the return. Rizzo and the Cubs both demonstrated how to do a proper sell off. Gray and Ruiz should both be with the major league team when they arrive in Washington probably tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball