Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2022, 12:58 AM

9,840 posts, read 7,575,913 times

Advertisements

Scherzer has always been a class guy it seems. As long as it's not on days that he pitches, seems like one of the nicer guys in the game, will go out of his way to sign autographs and stuff for fans. Definitely stays humble.

I remember when I was a kid, I was in Montreal at the same time the Mets were playing a series in Montreal. Our family actually ended up staying at the same hotel the Mets were staying at that weekend, so one of the afternoon's we were in the lobby and saw the Mets as they were heading out to the Olympic Stadium. 99% of the team were friendly, and would sign for the 30 people for so that were in the lobby, but to my surprise Mike Piazza, probably the highest earner (I think this was 2002 or 2001 range. Expos were clearly on their last legs in Montreal, but it was still a good 3 or 4 years until they moved south) was the biggest jerk of the bunch, and wouldn't sign for anybody. I think he told me he was late for a dentist appointment the reason he wouldn't sign anything for me. I know that happens, and I've never gotten an autograph, but, to me, it seems Scherzer still has that humility unlike certain other millionaires in the sport. Also, Jacob deGrom is on notice now in his rehab starts. Not saying he needs to buy everyone new iPhones, but he can't be taking the minor leaguers out to the local Howard Johnsons or IHOP for the post game spread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 01:08 AM

Default 29-51

I think they are now 1-11 in the season series against the Marlins, and the loss on Saturday guaranteed their first losing record against the Fish since 2011!! Sad thing is Alcantara isn't even starting in this series since the Marlins moved everyone back with the off day on Thursday, and they still lost the series. Marlins would probably win the division if they could play the Nats every game though.

Old 07-19-2022, 05:57 PM

34,283 posts, read 17,362,781 times
I hate to say this, but I think Nats will own last place several years in a row going forward. Too much money wasted on Corbin & Strasburg. They did get you the 2019 flag. The cost did lead to the 2022 Nats who clearly made Soto offers he had to refuse.

Given the age of the 2019 Nats, overpaying on Corbin made sense. Honestly though, we both know Earl Weaver's adage-everybody wins 1/3rd, all lose 1/3rd, other third decides who wins and who loses.

I am not 100% confident Nats of 2022 or next few years will win a third. Even if Soto fetches a haul.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:47 PM

The Strasburg contract is a waaaaaay bigger problem then the Corbin contract is.

#1) It happened AFTER they had already won the title, so it's not like they needed to keep Stras around as that final piece.
2) Corbin's ends sooner, with less money, so theoritcally it will be easier to attach his contact in a trade
3) Strasburg has a complete no trade clause. So, not only is his contact bloated, he gets the final say on whether he actually gets moved. Like the Dodgers for example could want Soto so bad that they are willing to eat the remainder of Strasburg contract just to get him and Stras could straight up decline.
4) Corbin, while pretty much worse than bad has had a few good outings, and recently has pitched a lot better. Strasburg I believe has made 8 starts since the start of the 2020 season, and is the least valuable player in all of baseball.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:53 PM

6,763 posts, read 6,805,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Strasburg contract is a waaaaaay bigger problem then the Corbin contract is.

And it's loaded with deferrals. They have to pay him $80 million from 2027 to 2029 after the contract ends. And they still owe Max $15 million a year through 2027. Even Corbin gets a deferred $10 million in 2025 after his contract ends in '24.

This ownership group can't sell the team fast enough. They don't want to win, and they're covering the payroll with IOUs. Best case is this team is a moderately competitive 75 win team by 2024, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:41 PM

Default 2023: 0-0

Best Case: Mackenzie Gore, and CJ Abrams both prove their worth and star for the 2023 Nats. Patrick Corbin isn’t the worst starting pitcher in the league, Stephen Strasburg makes a couple of appearances and doesn’t look terrible. The bullpen isn’t a complete disaster. Cade Cavalli, Brady House, and Robert Hassel make late season appearances. Maybe the sale goes through, and it goes to an owner that is willing to spend/eat some money.

Worst case: Abrams can’t hit, once the scouting report gets out on Joey Meneses he can’t hit, Gore gets rocked by NL East pitching, Corbin is still terrible, and Strasburg is still oft-injured, and the bullpen is indeed a complete disaster.

Prediction: This looks like one of the worst teams in baseball. I think their over/under season win total is only like 65 and I’d probably go under. They are bad, they will be overmatched most nights, but Davey will get them to play hard as always, so they’ll get some scraps against upper echelon teams. Will be nice to have 7 less games against the Braves, Mets, Phillies & Marlins this year after all 4 beat them to a pulp last season. 61-101 overall record, a whole 40 games behind the 101 win Braves who edge the Mets for the division once again. Braves come in to the Nations Capital for 3 games starting on Thursday; Corbin (6-19, 6.31 last season) starts for the Nats, while the Braves hand the ball to Max Fried (14-7, 2.48 last year) with game time scheduled for 1:05.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:19 PM

Default 0-1

Braves 7 @ Nats 2.

Ronald Acuna Junior lead off the season with a single, stole second, went to 3rd on an Ozzie Albies fly out before Patrick Corbin ended the frame with a strike out of Sean Murphy. Michael Harris II singled with 1 out, moved to 3rd on a Travis d’Arnaud single, Orlando Arcia singled for a 1-0 lead, Acuna reached on an error by SS C.J. Abrams to load the bases, Corbin got Matt Olson to strike out, but Austin Riley drew a walk to make the lead 2-0, and Albies reached on an infield single to make it 3-0 before the inning mercifully ended on a Murphy ground out. Dom Smith reached on an infield single, Keibert Ruiz doubled, Alex Call had a sac fly with a throwing error moving Ruiz to 3rd, Luis Garcia struck out and Victor Robles grounded out to end the threat. After 2 quick outs, d’Arnaud reached on a single, reached second on a wild pitch, but Corbin got Acuna to ground out to end the inning. Olson doubled to lead off the 4th which knocked Corbin from the game, Albies singled to load the bases, the Braves got a run on a Murphy double play before the inning ended on a Marcel Ozuna ground out. Arcia reached on a 2 out error, Acuna followed with an infield single, but Olson flied out to end the inning. Robles singled to lead off the bottom half, went to second on an Abrams ground out, moved to 3rd on a Lame Thomas ground out, and Joey Meneses drove home Robles with a 2 out single. Smith singled to start the bottom of the 6th and moved to second on an error on Riley, moved over to 3rd on a Ruiz groundout, Call struck out, and Garcia flied out to end it. Jeimer Candelario and Smith walked to start the 8th, Ruiz flied out, Corey Dickerson, pinch hitting for Call grounded into a force out, and Garcia ended the threat with a ground out. Sam Hilliard had a 1 out walk in the 9th, stole second, and following a Harris II walk, both runners scored on a d’Arnaud double. D’Arnaud went to 3rd on a fly out by Arcia and scored on an Abrams throwing error, his 3rd of the game. Robles had a lead off walk to start the bottom of the 9th, 2 batters later went to second on a Thomas ground out, but Meneses ended the game with a fly out. Corbin (0-1) allowed 4 runs (2 earned) on 7 hits with 3 walks and 3 strikeouts in 3+ innings. Max Fried allowed 1 run on 4 hits with 0 walks and 2 strikeouts in 3.1 innings before leaving with a hamstring injury. Lucas Luetge (1-0) allowed 1 run on 2 hits in 1 inning to get the win, Jesse Chavez (1st hold), Dylan Lee (1st hold), and Colin McHugh (1st hold) allowed 2 hits with 3 walks and 2 strikeouts in 3.1 innings.

The teams will have an off day in the Capital on Friday, and continue the series on Saturday. Spencer Strider (11-5, 2.67 in ’22) starts for the Braves, while Josiah Gray (7-10, 5.02 last year) will get the ball for the Nats. Game time is scheduled for 4:10. In other East action on the day the Mets beat the Marlins 5-3, and the Phillies lost to the Rangers 7-11. Braves & Mets are 1-0, while the Nats, Marlins & Phillies are all 0-1.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:31 PM

Default 1-2

Managed to win the final game of the series against the Braves. Rays come in for 3 games before they hit the road to Colorado for 4 games, so not expecting much more at least the first part of the week.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:17 PM

Default 3-7

They got swept by the Rays (and who hasn't been swept by the Rays??) before heading out to Denver to split 4 games with the Rockies. Road trip continues in Anaheim where they'll see Shoehei Ohtani on Tuesday, and than Cleveland comes to Nats Park on Friday.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:26 PM

Default 5-11

Lost 2 of 3 in Anaheim and vs Cleveland, though very surprised they won the game Bieber started for Cleveland. They didn't beat him specifically, but thought Bieber might throw a no hitter against this ragtag crew. They only have 5 games this week, first 2 vs. the O's in the first installment of the battle of the beltway, and than 3 in Minnesota over the weekend. And with the Wizards (again!) and the Caps not making the playoffs in the NBA and NHL respectively, this is gonna be a long spring and summer. Though at least the potential Commanders sale is taking up all the news headlines though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball