Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,295,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
A majority of Yankees fans gave up when we lost the lead in the division. A majority of fans gave up when we lost game 2 against the orioles. I know this is a huge difference in terms of probability but the Yankees have the propensity to comeback when very few people expect them to.
1 out left. Down 7. I don't expect them to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
Congratulations to the Tigers and their fans.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Yankees finished.

Brian Cashman is not amused.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Watching the Yankees' embarrassing autumn implosions is becoming one of the true pleasures of life. This year, it has been especially sweet, thanks to A-Rod's trillion dollar choke act, Ichiro coming up empty in his bid for a quickie WS ring after dumping the Mariners, and the whole NY lineup turning into whiffbugers, thanks to those swollen wallets they carry around.

The only downer was seeing Jeter, a class act if there ever was one, go down with an injury.

Then there is the spectacle of Yankee fans, awash in their designer pinstripes, looking and acting like the sad clowns they are. There is little in the world of sports more satisfying than witnessing their humiliation at having shelled out beaucoup bucks to watch the Bummers blow it. Again.

Once again we are reminded that even the Yankees can't buy a pennant EVERY year, that heart occasionally trumps greed, and that in baseball, you can't just talk the talk, run out the clock, and play the pre-vent defense. You've got to throw the ball down the plate and give the other man a chance. This is what makes it the greatest game in the world. And the cherry on the sundae this year is that the NY vampire has a stake through its heart for another season. The insufferable New YOrk one-percenters have to zip their lips. We can enjoy baseball again.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Watching the Yankees' embarrassing autumn implosions is becoming one of the true pleasures of life.
Agreed

Quote:
This year, it has been especially sweet, thanks to A-Rod's trillion dollar choke act,
I was actually hoping he'd get a hit in that last at bat.

Quote:
Ichiro coming up empty in his bid for a quickie WS ring after dumping the Mariners,
Ichiro getting a ring would have been the only palatable part of the Yankees winning #28

Quote:
and the whole NY lineup turning into whiffbugers
That was particularly amusing

Quote:
, thanks to those swollen wallets they carry around.
I don't think that that was the reason.

Quote:
The only downer was seeing Jeter, a class act if there ever was one, go down with an injury.
Honestly, that didn't really pain me.

Quote:
Then there is the spectacle of Yankee fans, awash in their designer pinstripes, looking and acting like the sad clowns they are. There is little in the world of sports more satisfying than witnessing their humiliation at having shelled out beaucoup bucks to watch the Bummers blow it. Again. Once again we are reminded that even the Yankees can't buy a pennant EVERY year
You know the Tigers gave Prince $214 million and the Tigers had the 5th highest payroll in baseball, right?

Quote:
...And the cherry on the sundae this year is that the NY vampire has a stake through its heart for another season. The insufferable New YOrk one-percenters have to zip their lips. We can enjoy baseball again.
Having lived in NY a couple of times, I can say that the average Yankee fan is just a every day person. I hold no ill feelings towards that person.

The blowhards, the one's that should "27 rings" if you suggest that Jeter might not be the greatest playin in history - that's another story.

Quote:
that heart occasionally trumps greed,
I don't think that heart nor greed has much effect on the outcome of a baseball game.

Quote:
and that in baseball, you can't just talk the talk, run out the clock, and play the pre-vent defense. You've got to throw the ball down the plate and give the other man a chance. This is what makes it the greatest game in the world.
Definitely agreed.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
It is times like these that I miss The Boss. Steinbrenner was never the sort to take things calmly when the situation called for panic and hysteria. He probably would already have a press conference going where he fires Girardi, announces that he has hired a spiritual hypnotist from Tibet to live with Arod during the winter to help him re-find his playing center, is unretiring Babe Ruth's # 3 and giving it to Teixeira to try and inspire him to hit more home runs, and is demoting Jeter to Lieutenant....no reflection on Derek, Steinbrenner explains, it is just that his advancing age and outside interests make it too hard for him to carry out the duties of a Captain.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
We're all behind our baseball team GO GET 'EM! DETROIT TIGERS! GO GET' EM TIGERRRRRSS!!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is times like these that I miss The Boss. Steinbrenner was never the sort to take things calmly when the situation called for panic and hysteria. He probably would already have a press conference going where he fires Girardi, announces that he has hired a spiritual hypnotist from Tibet to live with Arod during the winter to help him re-find his playing center, is unretiring Babe Ruth's # 3 and giving it to Teixeira to try and inspire him to hit more home runs, and is demoting Jeter to Lieutenant....no reflection on Derek, Steinbrenner explains, it is just that his advancing age and outside interests make it too hard for him to carry out the duties of a Captain.
I don't know how you think of half the things you say but you are a funny and creative guy. I need some comic relief after watching that debacle of a game 4. I admit that I was wrong, misguided, and overly optimistic over a team that lacked heart. Sad turn of events in the Yankees world. There needs to be major changes this off-season and the top brass of this team needs to implement a plan that lowers ticket prices in the playoffs to allow the true fans access to the best seats in the house. The Old Stadium was rocking during the playoffs. It's a shame to see capitalistic greed and lavishness trump the beautiful old ways that were represented by aura, mystique, and an attitude that was representative of the average New Yorker who tackles the daily grind with determination and fearlessness.

Guess I'm cheering for the cardinals now

Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,043 times
I would have never thought the Yanks would be swept. What a disaster.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
I would have never thought the Yanks would be swept. What a disaster.
Not for the rest of us, baby. It's sweeter than the zeros next to A-Rod's name in the boxscore.

You can take some comfort from the fact that the Bummers did score a run or two. (Didn't they? Bwahaha!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball