Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe the worst thing about this is that the umpires may begin favoring the home team, in order to avoid these kinds of demonstrations in the future. The Cardinals lost a World Series on a worse call than that by Don Denkinger in 1985, but the bad call favored the home team so there was no fallout. And again in 1987, a call just as bad in game seven, but again it favored the home team.

As for the interference call on Simmons, that was probably the most flagrant swerve out of the 3-foot lane I've ever seen. He was so far out of the lane, a blind ump could have called it by directionalizing the sound of his footsteps.
Yep. I remember.

Here's one I'm sure Jtur88, Filihok, and Grandstander remember.

1973 national League playoffs-game 3- Mets versus Reds.

Mets are leading the Reds 7-3 in the 5th (?) inning. Pete Rose singles, gets on first. Joe Morgan hits a grounder to first baseman John Milner who flips it to Bud Harrelson. Harrelson just does get the ball over to first for the double play but not until Pete Rose went airborne and not only spiked Harrelson big time but came in so high he actually hit Harrelson with his elbows. Needless to say both benches emptied out in no time. Then it got pretty ugly. And the delay was ten minutes-minimum. Finally order was restored. But the extra curriculars were just getting started.

Later when Rose took his position at left field he was greeted by a flying whiskey bottle. And lots of other things after that including two fans who either vaulted out of the left field stands or the first base foul line (am thinking the latter). Reds manager Sparky Anderson immediately pulled his players off the field. And this created another 10 minute delay. National league president Chub Feeney was at the game and met the umpires out on the field. The p.a. announcer yelled continuously for people to stay calm, do not throw objects on the field, and to absolutely stay off the field. In the meanwhile Mets manager Yogi Berra and players Tom Seaver, Rusty Staub, Willie Mays, and several others pleaded with fans to stay off the field and not throw things because of the possibility of forfeit. And if I remember right Rose did not finish the game but I won't swear to it.

It was an ugly, ugly, scene.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-06-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
All these apologists for bad behavior go a long way toward explaining why things are the way they are in this country.
The fans shouldn't have freaked out and thrown debris, that is true. Someone could have been hurt and that is unacceptable.

To be fair, though, it's not just in this country or in this sport. For example, English soccer fans are probably the worst.

Hillsborough disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So if your team loses you are not disappointed for atleast 2 hours after the game is over? If the answer is NO then you should watch Wrestling instead.
and why should I be disappointed? I did not cause them to lose. You can be angry all you want but the outcome of the game does not change and it is not your fault.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
and why should I be disappointed? I did not cause them to lose. You can be angry all you want but the outcome of the game does not change and it is not your fault.
So you don't have a emotional attachment to your team after watching for years and years? Someone who is a fan of a team who has never seen them win a title will just say..."oh well" after they lose in the championship?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
So you don't have a emotional attachment to your team after watching for years and years? Someone who is a fan of a team who has never seen them win a title will just say..."oh well" after they lose in the championship?
Win or lose, my life wont change overnight or within the year. If the Nationals win the World Series, I will get excited but if they lose, I still be satisfied because of the great season they had. NL East champions, best record in the MLB. Watching them play this season has been amazing. I have been a since they came to D.C. and watch them sit in the bottom of the division standings every year. If they lost to poor officiating or came up short on their own, I am okay with that. I enjoyed every second of the Nationals season and nothing can take that away.

There is no crying, throwing cups out on the field, destroying city property that you waste your tax dollars cleaning up, getting into fistfights with opposing fans or none of that non-sense. The game is over, the world keeps spinning.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Win or lose, my life wont change overnight or within the year. If the Nationals win the World Series, I will get excited but if they lose, I still be satisfied because of the great season they had. NL East champions, best record in the MLB. Watching them play this season has been amazing. I have been a since they came to D.C. and watch them sit in the bottom of the division standings every year. If they lost to poor officiating or came up short on their own, I am okay with that. I enjoyed every second of the Nationals season and nothing can take that away.

There is no crying, throwing cups out on the field, destroying city property that you waste your tax dollars cleaning up, getting into fistfights with opposing fans or none of that non-sense. The game is over, the world keeps spinning.

You must have something to do where you grew up because i never in my life met a sports fan like you. Did you grow up in a small town?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,611 times
Quote:
You must have something to do where you grew up because i never in my life met a sports fan like you. Did you grow up in a small town?
You've never met a sports fan that doesn't act like a knuckle dragging fool?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
You've never met a sports fan that doesn't act like a knuckle dragging fool?

You forget the FULL word is Fanatic.

On that, I don't know anyone that follows sports that doesn't have an "oh well, maybe next time" attitude, this includes persons in other cities.

For TVSG, his world comes to an end and it takes him days/weeks to recover, there is NO going out with friends or a female after a loss.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
It was a great game. With Carpenter back I like the Cardinals chances for a repeat.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In a seven game series a team has 189 outs before they are eliminated. The Cardinals were gyped out of one of those outs. One play doth not determine the winner of a series. The Cardinals lost for numerous reasons, you could focus on any inning in which they failed to score and say "This is where they lost the series" and it would be as meaningful as your focus on the one play in Game Six.
What don't you get? It would have been the LAST inning of the WS (not just a random one) if it had been a three-out inning, but a bad call gave the opponents four outs, and the result was that the last inning of the series was not the last inning. The Royals didn't have 189 outs (or whatever) to avoid loss, they had three, and were given four. Why do you keep saying so many things that are unrelated to that plain and simple fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball