Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which metro area does one team most dominant the 2nd?
New York 7 77.78%
Balt/Wash 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
Los Angeles 1 11.11%
Bay Area 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
White Sox over Cubs?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????
Based on fan support i'd agree that the Cubs have a much better following but as a NYer I also remember the 80's when the Mets were winning and the fans crawled out from under the logs. The same can be said for the Sox when they were winning. Out come the fake/bandwagon fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
you could do Florida as well Marlins -vs- Tampa Bay since they are only 2hrs and 45min apart
No.

1) Tampa and Miami are 4 hours apart.
2) Milwaukee and Chicago are only 1 hour and 36 minutes apart. So..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Yes, I have; especially during my military years but the Sox in the early 2000's were a highly competitive team and outshined the performance of the choke-artist Cubs.
The White Sox could win the next 3 World Series titles and they would STILL be Chicago's second team.

Following the White Sox winning the World Series title in 2005, they have still been outdrawn by the Cubs. The Cubs have had higher attendance than the White Sox every year for the past decade. That includes a White Sox World Series title and some very bad Cub teams.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
No.

1) Tampa and Miami are 4 hours apart.
2) Milwaukee and Chicago are only 1 hour and 36 minutes apart. So..
I can be in the Chicago suburbs in IL in 25 min and in the city of Chicago in 1 hour and at an L station. Milwaukee and Chicago city limits are only separated by 63 miles in between.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I can be in the Chicago suburbs in IL in 25 min and in the city of Chicago in 1 hour and at an L station. Milwaukee and Chicago city limits are only separated by 63 miles in between.
and basically one metro area.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
It's hard to say if you haven't lived in all the areas.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
St. Louis had two teams some years ago. It's hard to imagine the Browns being favored, but perhaps they were... Naahh!

Philly also had the A's until 1955 - and some winners under the guidance of Connie Mack. Don't know the answer here, though.

And if you asked my father-in-law which Boston team he was rooting for in the 30s-50s it wasn't the Red Sox. He was a Braves fan all day long. I'm guessing he was in the minority.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
St. Louis had two teams some years ago. It's hard to imagine the Browns being favored, but perhaps they were... Naahh!

Philly also had the A's until 1955 - and some winners under the guidance of Connie Mack. Don't know the answer here, though.

And if you asked my father-in-law which Boston team he was rooting for in the 30s-50s it wasn't the Red Sox. He was a Braves fan all day long. I'm guessing he was in the minority.
My understanding is the Phillies were second class citizens when the As were in Philly

On The Brewers above and distance I am not sure I see it

From Philadelphia the Mets, Yanks (NYC and Philly are 46 miles at their closest city border points) and also Orioles are like an hour and small change away with the Nats being closer to two hours. Just because they are close in distance and time doesnt make them the same market

Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The White Sox could win the next 3 World Series titles and they would STILL be Chicago's second team.

Following the White Sox winning the World Series title in 2005, they have still been outdrawn by the Cubs. The Cubs have had higher attendance than the White Sox every year for the past decade. That includes a White Sox World Series title and some very bad Cub teams.
Very common misconception. The Whitesox outdrew the Cubs many times in the 80s and before iirc.

I do agree that the Cubs will outdraw the whitesox now and for the forseeable future, but it has not always been that way.

The cubs, and wrigleyville in general have done a great job of creating a fun, party type atmosphere around the park. Their attendance is not simply a function of the team or the 'dedication' of the fans. They do of course have some very loyal fans out there though. The sox however, have a park that is 2 blocks from very rough areas. Sure the red line gets you right there, but its not the same as having a fun, safe area surrounding your park.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Very common misconception. The Whitesox outdrew the Cubs many times in the 80s and before iirc.

I do agree that the Cubs will outdraw the whitesox now and for the forseeable future, but it has not always been that way.

The cubs, and wrigleyville in general have done a great job of creating a fun, party type atmosphere around the park. Their attendance is not simply a function of the team or the 'dedication' of the fans. They do of course have some very loyal fans out there though. The sox however, have a park that is 2 blocks from very rough areas. Sure the red line gets you right there, but its not the same as having a fun, safe area surrounding your park.
You can't really go by how tough a surrounding area, otherwise no one would have ever gone to any Yankee games or the Bronx Zoo either. Obviously it is nice to have them in nice areas, but if the team or venue is popular, people will go. If you build it...they will come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball