Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Baseball was ruined a long time ago. It is no longer a game. It is an enterprise.

And the players are boring.

It is basically ten minutes of action just cram packed into three hours.
That sounds like basketball to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I use to love baseball as a kid in the 80's. Watching guys like Cal Ripken, Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Ozzie Smith, Puckett, Sandberg, etc.

-Some baseball change is ok. Obviously helmets were needed.

I think interleague play is absolutely crazy. The idea that the whitesox and cubs could meet in the regular season, or yankees vs dodgers, its nuts. It's not baseball.

One test of whether a change is too much....what would the old timers think? Jack Buck? Mel Allen? They would have thought it was nuts.

Remember the words...."The fall classic". It was a classic because the two teams had never met. They were coming from opposite sides of the fence. The dividing line between NL and AL goes back to when baseball started.

I think night games evolved because of tv. Look how long the Cubs held out for night games.Wasn't their first night game in 1989 or something?

-Tradition is very, very, very important in baseball. I.e. the popularity of the Red Sox and Cubs (Fenway and Wrigley). I think inter league play is comparable to messing around with those ballparks. Getting rid of the ivy at wrigley. Or just making them really modern.

-The wildcard system is equally bad. Baseball wants to compete with football, the NCAA and other sports. The old playoff system isn't "exciting enough" for modern audiences.

I'm kind of suprised they haven't gotten rid of the DH rule. It makes the game unbalanced and "awkward", at least from this corporate, let's maximize revenue sense.

-Baseball got popular, partly IMO, because of its quirks. It's not perfect. The ball parks dont have the same dimensions, the DH rule, NL and AL only meet in the world series, etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
All the things you said you hate about new modern era baseball, I like and judging by the numbers I am not alone but the huge majority.

The only thing I hate about baseball is.....The DH rule okay and the cubs and the cardinals and tony larussa and that's it.
first of all, you're only sticking up for Bud (the used car salesman, literally) because he's from Milwaukee.

and second, the bolded quit the game like 2 years ago so give it up, it makes you and all your fellow Brewers fans look, well, Bushleague

concentrate on getting #8 off the synthetic testosterone and actually beating the Cardinals (like you couldn't last night) and maybe you'd gain some respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
you had me until the salary cap. Salary caps are terrible for sports leagues and they do nothing to help small market teams.

see: the Green Bay Packers (population 104,000) in a league called the National Football League. I believe you can google them.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM

462 posts, read 427,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

I think interleague play is absolutely crazy. The idea that the whitesox and cubs could meet in the regular season, or yankees vs dodgers, its nuts. It's not baseball.

Your logic is makes no sense and is laced in idealism and romanticism.

So, the Celtics and Lakers playing each other in a regular season game isn't basketball either, I guess.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM

233 posts, read 258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
first of all, you're only sticking up for Bud (the used car salesman, literally) because he's from Milwaukee.

and second, the bolded quit the game like 2 years ago so give it up, it makes you and all your fellow Brewers fans look, well, Bushleague

concentrate on getting #8 off the synthetic testosterone and actually beating the Cardinals (like you couldn't last night) and maybe you'd gain some respect.
Yeah, because Brewers fans are the only fans who didn't like Tony. I can't name many fan bases outside of Oakland and St. Louis that did like him or his teams. Don't paint all Brewers fans with a broad brush because you didn't like the comment. It looks Bushleague. Btw, Ryan Braun is doing just fine and numbers are still stacking up since 2011. You sound like someone who has a ridiculous grudge against the Brewers.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I use to love baseball as a kid in the 80's. Watching guys like Cal Ripken, Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Ozzie Smith, Puckett, Sandberg, etc.

-Some baseball change is ok. Obviously helmets were needed.

One test of whether a change is too much....what would the old timers think? Jack Buck? Mel Allen? They would have thought it was nuts.

Remember the words...."The fall classic". It was a classic because the two teams had never met. They were coming from opposite sides of the fence. The dividing line between NL and AL goes back to when baseball started.

I think night games evolved because of tv. Look how long the Cubs held out for night games.Wasn't their first night game in 1989 or something?

-Tradition is very, very, very important in baseball. I.e. the popularity of the Red Sox and Cubs (Fenway and Wrigley). I think inter league play is comparable to messing around with those ballparks. Getting rid of the ivy at wrigley. Or just making them really modern.

-The wildcard system is equally bad. Baseball wants to compete with football, the NCAA and other sports. The old playoff system isn't "exciting enough" for modern audiences.

I'm kind of suprised they haven't gotten rid of the DH rule. It makes the game unbalanced and "awkward", at least from this corporate, let's maximize revenue sense.

-Baseball got popular, partly IMO, because of its quirks. It's not perfect. The ball parks dont have the same dimensions, the DH rule, NL and AL only meet in the world series, etc.
Loved your breakdown analysis. I too, wish we would do away with the interleague play. I am a fan of the DH though and wish that both leagues would adopt it. Look at it as it stands in the NL. Games on the line with runners on base with 2 outs. Who would you rather have coming to the plate? The pitcher who is pitching too well to take out of the game, but has a .075 lifetime batting average or the DH who's most probably one of the top 2 hitters on the team.

I LOVE the fact that teams have basically done away with the cookie cutter ballparks and are building unique fields. As a Twins fan, I am thrilled with our new Target Field. It gives you goosebumps when you go there. I don't miss the Metrodome at all.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
has baseball changed too much for you to enjoy?

Just about.

Worst part about being at the games is the music they play, which is so loud that it's nearly impossible to explain what's happening to my wife; I want her to enjoy the game by better understanding all that's going on and the strategies behind every move and pitch. They play this stuff between innings and they play it between batters, even if it's just for 2-5 seconds, leaving very little chance for conversing at a normal volume and being heard. At home, I can mute the sound on the TV and 'splain stuff to her.

I'm tired of griping about greedy agents, stupid owners, neutered commissioners, steroid supermen, big egos and narcissists. I still watch the game, but the bloom is off the rose of the baseball of my youth..... my youth .... those were the days .... Ike was President ... top tax rate was 91% and there was no deficit ... Cadillacs had big tail fins ... Marilyn Monroe was THE hottie (who put the wood in our swinging bats) ... big Oldsmobile Rocket-88 V-8 engines with no pollution controls ... the beer was cold ... the steam crabs were spicy .... Mom had all the answers .... every guy traded baseball cards .... Micky Mantle, Yogi Berra, Brooks Robinson and so many more greats who amazed you with their power, finesse and grace. Trust me, it was a magic era ....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-04-2013 at 10:53 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
Your logic is makes no sense and is laced in idealism and romanticism.

So, the Celtics and Lakers playing each other in a regular season game isn't basketball either, I guess.
I don't think so.

Why did the NL and AL not play each other for so many years? Interleague play took, 100 years or something?

There's not a good answer for it, it's just...."the way it always was".

-The leagues have always had seperate identities. Similar to how the Cubs and Whitesox are different. Angels and Dodgers, Mets and Yankees.

In Mel Allens era, say the 50's or 70's, announcers would talk about the other league as if it was on the other side of the river. This is the NL (Cubs, Cardinials, Phillies). On the other side is the AL (Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers). Totally seperate identities.

Also, baseball has the oldest traditions in north american sports by far. The NBA goes back to the 50's and it wasnt much then. The superbowl goes back to 1967. Hockey is mostly a canadian sport. The playoff format has gone on for so long, and the non interleague play....when those were changed, they ruffled some feathers.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 PM

462 posts, read 427,485 times
And people used to think the Earth was flat, women couldn't vote and blacks shouldn't be in the same schools as whites.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
They really need to get the game back to a MAXIMUM of 3 hours, 2.5 would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball