Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Reputation: 49248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
The cardboard cutouts of fans is bizarre as well as the recorded cheering. What a strange season this is.
At least it is a season which makes me very happy for 2 reasons: my son swore they would not play this year at all. He said the rich, overpaid, jerks would would never play in an empty stadium. The funny part of his comment: he was heading to the majors when a severe shoulder ended his career. That was many years ago. My second reason for being so happy, we have a real sport to watch now

Now the sad part of all this is: Kershaw. I am thinking, due to so many injuries in the past few years his career may soon be over, even though he isn't all that old, for sure. This is also the last year of his contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2020, 07:07 AM
 
3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Now the sad part of all this is: Kershaw. I am thinking, due to so many injuries in the past few years his career may soon be over, even though he isn't all that old, for sure. This is also the last year of his contract.

It will be interesting about Kershaw since his contract ends this year. You have Buehler who is going to be a FA I think in 2024 (after 2023). He's got to be the Dodgers main target as long as he keeps doing well.

I would think an incentive that pays a lot for innings pitch would be the best deal for Kershaw. Give him some very lucrative incentive goals for game starts/innings pitched.

We need to remember that the current front office did not sign Kershaw. They may not feel like this (and def will not admit it) but you have to wonder if they really wanted to give him that last deal (i think it was 3 years when he opt out). Granted we do need a guy like Kershaw right now but if guys like Urias, May, Gonsolin end up panning out Kershaw is expendable.

I'm hoping he takes a team friendly deal and even willing to go off 1 year deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Reputation: 21239
Even without Kershaw the Dodgers had little difficulty stomping the Giants. What a mismatch. LA had better players at every position. SF is rebuilding and it will take a few years to become competitive again. Meanwhile the lineup is all has beens and never weres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2020, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Reputation: 33509
That was a strange experience, opening day, no fans. But my Dodgers beat the Giants that's all that matters. I won't even go into the ridiculous opening "ceremony" or whatever that was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Reputation: 49248
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That was a strange experience, opening day, no fans. But my Dodgers beat the Giants that's all that matters. I won't even go into the ridiculous opening "ceremony" or whatever that was.
and then they did it again yesterday. A great start for them, but doesn't sound like the Giants are going to be much of a threat this year. Of course we are only 2 games into the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Reputation: 49248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
It will be interesting about Kershaw since his contract ends this year. You have Buehler who is going to be a FA I think in 2024 (after 2023). He's got to be the Dodgers main target as long as he keeps doing well.

I would think an incentive that pays a lot for innings pitch would be the best deal for Kershaw. Give him some very lucrative incentive goals for game starts/innings pitched.

We need to remember that the current front office did not sign Kershaw. They may not feel like this (and def will not admit it) but you have to wonder if they really wanted to give him that last deal (i think it was 3 years when he opt out). Granted we do need a guy like Kershaw right now but if guys like Urias, May, Gonsolin end up panning out Kershaw is expendable.

I'm hoping he takes a team friendly deal and even willing to go off 1 year deals.
I agree, but due to injuries period I just wonder how long his career will last regardless who he is playing for. When I think about his injuries, I guess I look back at my hero: Kofax and I remember the end of his career coming so early. Of course his was a bit different but still Kershaw is one of the best just like Kofax. The difference now compared to 1/2 century ago is: back then players were not traded every other year like now: some yes but many would play their entire playing years with only one or two, maybe 3 teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 AM
 
30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Reputation: 18666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, but due to injuries period I just wonder how long his career will last regardless who he is playing for. When I think about his injuries, I guess I look back at my hero: Kofax and I remember the end of his career coming so early. Of course his was a bit different but still Kershaw is one of the best just like Kofax. The difference now compared to 1/2 century ago is: back then players were not traded every other year like now: some yes but many would play their entire playing years with only one or two, maybe 3 teams.

A few years back when it was Kershaw and Grenke who pretty much carried the team into the post season my thoughts were keep Kershaw at all costs as long as he can play.

Now with the powerhouse hitting as well as solid pitching throughout its no longer about making the post season but winning a title. With Kershaw now every year he has injury problems and now its the post season where the Dodgers need his best and for whatever reason he is inconstant at best. I would think it would be a mistake to sign him long term at this point of his career. Bring in another ace who is clutch in the post season. That would serve the team better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Reputation: 21239
The Dodgers stranded 13 runners yesterday and still won a laugher. The Giants were very generous in helping LA....eight walks and four errors to compliment the Dodger's 13 hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Reputation: 49248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Dodgers stranded 13 runners yesterday and still won a laugher. The Giants were very generous in helping LA....eight walks and four errors to compliment the Dodger's 13 hits.
Now we are looking at a different thing: 2 and 2 isn't anything to get excited about, but in years past the have often started slow and gone on to pull the season out with games to spare. The problem this year is: only 60 games, not 5 million

BTW I bet you were happy to see the Giants pull 2 out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2020, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Reputation: 21239
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

BTW I bet you were happy to see the Giants pull 2 out.
Giants fans always enjoy beating the Dodgers, but I'm not kidding myself about the quality difference between the teams. At the moment, my focus has been on wondering which, if any, of the players on the field will be part of the next competitive Giants team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top