Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2020, 08:56 AM
 
171 posts, read 94,504 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The data does not lie. If you believe the report or its conclusions are false, you will need something more than "everyone knows" to show that it is false. Is the data incorrect? Are the conclusions not supported by the data?

People say stuff all the time without any idea whether it is true or not. You have made common cause with these people.

The current extraordinary success of the Dodger team has been built on embracing modern metric analysis. Far from metrics "screwing up the Dodgers, it has made them what they are. Do you not know this? Do you not read? Do you simply deny things that are true because you feel that they should not be true?

The very thing which is responsible for their being in 3 of the last 4 World Series, you characterize as "baloney." Try telling that to the Dodger front office. The head of baseball operations is Andrew Friedman, whom the Dodgers hired away from the Tampa Bay Rays, LA's metric oriented opponent in the Series. He was hired specifically to modernize the LA front office and bring it into the metric era. He immediately began hiring people such as Farhan Zaidi and Ned Colletti, well known metric analysis champions. They have fully embraced metric analysis and you have no idea what is actually going on.
Another worthless study lmao. Lets focus on the fall classic and the DODGERS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2020, 09:14 AM
 
30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Reputation: 18687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The very thing which is responsible for their being in 3 of the last 4 World Series, you characterize as "baloney." Try telling that to the Dodger front office. The head of baseball operations is Andrew Friedman, whom the Dodgers hired away from the Tampa Bay Rays, LA's metric oriented opponent in the Series.
I know the Andrew Friedman story. The problem is over time everyone does the same thing and any advantage goes away. Then it becomes very mechanical like pitch counts. Just like in the NBA. Everyone focuses on three pointers and layups. Houston took that to the extreme. You still need good coaching and superior talent. Just going purely analytic driven does not guarantee anything. Otherwise why do we need a baseball manager? If they are just doing what analytics tell them to do. Teams could save a lot of money and get rid of the middle man. We could have "HAL" just tell the players what do to.

And how many world series have we won with Friedman in charge? The Dodgers have enough talent to have a good regular season and a deep push into the post season with almost any system. The problem is they have flamed out the past 7 years. Seems like cheating works better than analytics. Certainly 2 or the last 3 years that was the case. Hopefully this year is different. We just have managed to run into a team that seems to have more momentum when we face them. Look at the Nationals last year. They got hot in the post season. This year we faced a Braves team clicking on all cylinders. We had just enough to overcome this. And you say momentum does not exist. Please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Reputation: 19305
Congrats to all the Dodger fans, from a big Braves fan. Best of luck in the series, but not too good of luck, because I now live in Rays land.

I can't see the Rays beating your Dodgers. The Rays offense is nothing like Atlanta's, but the Rays have better pitching at this point in time, than my Braves.

I think the Dodgers will easily take the series in 5 games. I'm surprised the Rays have made it this far.

The Dodgers are the best team in MLB right now, so all they have to do is play their game.

See you all next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Reputation: 21239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And you say momentum does not exist. Please...
The data says this. You are not arguing with my opinion, you are arguing against facts. I provided a link to the study. Please review it and explain which portions you feel are in error. If you can do this, you merit a hearing. If all you are going to do is characterize rather than confront, then you do not provide me with a reason to listen to your opinion.

And Andrew Friedman would scoff at you and your theory of momentum. Friedman is all about finding facts, not just accepting something because a bunch of people who are not in a position to actually know, said so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 11:25 AM
 
171 posts, read 94,504 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The data says this. You are not arguing with my opinion, you are arguing against facts. I provided a link to the study. Please review it and explain which portions you feel are in error. If you can do this, you merit a hearing. If all you are going to do is characterize rather than confront, then you do not provide me with a reason to listen to your opinion.

And Andrew Friedman would scoff at you and your theory of momentum. Friedman is all about finding facts, not just accepting something because a bunch of people who are not in a position to actually know, said so.
You need to get a grip on yourself, you do realize that no one cares. This is the Dodgers team thread people are more concerned about game 1 of the WS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Reputation: 21239
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
You need to get a grip on yourself, you do realize that no one cares. This is the Dodgers team thread people are more concerned about game 1 of the WS.
You don't care because you have not done your homework and apparently are resentful toward those who have. You speak only for yourself.

The Dodger organization cares very deeply about this stuff. They spend millions of dollars on it every year. Tell them that you have, in the absence of any research or data, figured out that none of it means a thing. I'm sure that they would appreciate it, it will save them an immense amount of money.

When I don't care about something, I ignore it, I don't argue with the people who do care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 11:46 AM
 
171 posts, read 94,504 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You don't care because you have not done your homework and apparently are resentful toward those who have. You speak only for yourself.

The Dodger organization cares very deeply about this stuff. They spend millions of dollars on it every year. Tell them that you have, in the absence of any research or data, figured out that none of it means a thing. I'm sure that they would appreciate it, it will save them an immense amount of money.

When I don't care about something, I ignore it, I don't argue with the people who do care.
Well I only deeply care about game 1 right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM
 
30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Reputation: 18687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You don't care because you have not done your homework and apparently are resentful toward those who have. You speak only for yourself.

The Dodger organization cares very deeply about this stuff. They spend millions of dollars on it every year. Tell them that you have, in the absence of any research or data, figured out that none of it means a thing. I'm sure that they would appreciate it, it will save them an immense amount of money.

When I don't care about something, I ignore it, I don't argue with the people who do care.
The other comment was correct. Its on to game one. Lets revisit this after the season is over.



I have no idea what will happen tonight. Hoping Kershaw has a strong outing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 03:26 PM
 
560 posts, read 581,542 times
Reputation: 764
The Dodgers just need to stay focused and keep grinding and good things will happen. I imagine that coming back from a 3-1 deficit can only help in this series. Winning those last three difficult games put them in a mindset of what it took to get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2020, 04:35 PM
 
30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Reputation: 18687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
The Dodgers just need to stay focused and keep grinding and good things will happen. I imagine that coming back from a 3-1 deficit can only help in this series. Winning those last three difficult games put them in a mindset of what it took to get the job done.

And also Tampa Bay nearly blow a 3-0 series lead. Dodgers have won 3 in a row TB has lost 3 out of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top