Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times

Advertisements

I think the Oakland Athletics is a prime example of a team that does not swing for the fences. I'm not an Athletics fan but I like their small ball approach: get them on, move them over, get them home.

I remember when the Angels were the best team team for going from first to third. They were always stealing bases and putting pressure on the pitcher, catcher and SS/2nd base. Scioscia always had something going. Now, the Angels are notorious first pitch swingers and they do not manufacture runs like they used to. They are not disciplined in the batter's box. Scioscia's style has changed because Arte Moreno wanted box office and more payroll, as a result, by bringing in power hitters that are over paid and can't get on base. Those were the days.

-Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You can also reach first base through interference with a fielder (1B/Pitcher). It is a rare call but it happens.
How is this scored? A hit? Or, is there a separate notation in a score card?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
How is this scored? A hit? Or, is there a separate notation in a score card?
Don't know - only seen it once or twice.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The trend towards more home runs has been occurring for at least the last 25 years and predates sabermetrics.

A major reason why most guys swing for the fences (or perhaps more accurately a major reason why most players are able to swing for the fences) is that a very high percentage of the bat's weight is concentrated in the barrel, and bat handles are very, very thin compared to historic norms. This makes the bat lighter overall, and allows players to swing the bat harder. Not coincidentally, this is also the reason why 1) strikeouts are at historically high levels and 2) bats break very frequently in today's game. Some people who are knowledgeable about baseball history know that guys who played many, many years ago (like Babe Ruth and Jimmie Foxx) would name their bats, or have a favorite bat to use. Can you imagine a player today naming his bat? Of course not, because the bats don't last long enough to acquire names.

If MLB would force a minimum bat handle size (one that is higher than the current practical minimum) and gradually increase that size until bat handles were at widths common 30-40 years ago, not only would there be a lot fewer broken bats, there would also be an increased focus on speed and bat control because fewer players would be able to hit home runs. The game would probably be made more appealing.

As a side note, I think this is a major part of the reason why few black athletes (or more accurately, more black American or African-American athletes) play baseball. Baseball is perceived as an unathletic sport; the emphasis on power rather than speed contributes to that. I have the impression that most black American athletes, to a greater degree than non-black American athletes, want to play sports, such as basketball or football, where athleticism is emphasized and valued. If athleticism was emphasized to a greater degree in baseball, I think you'd see African-Americans playing the sport.
baseball is a game of smarts and mechanics thats why billy butler can play. being an athlete is a plus and lets be honest there are still alot of top tier athletes trout, harper, mccutcheon heyward etc

Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
As a side note, I think this is a major part of the reason why few black athletes (or more accurately, more black American or African-American athletes) play baseball. Baseball is perceived as an unathletic sport; the emphasis on power rather than speed contributes to that. I have the impression that most black American athletes, to a greater degree than non-black American athletes, want to play sports, such as basketball or football, where athleticism is emphasized and valued. If athleticism was emphasized to a greater degree in baseball, I think you'd see African-Americans playing the sport.
I think it's due to the insane cost more than anything. 70 bucks for a good glove, another 200 for a solid bat, 50 for cleats; the costs just add up. An inner city kid from a poor place like Detroit or St. Louis can't afford all those costs, and will be moved towards sports where all you need to buy is a ball and have a net to shoot the ball into

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM

364 posts, read 560,084 times
OP,

It's just you. Watch the St. Louis Cardinals. Small ball isn't totally dead.

Liquid Sword.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 PM

364 posts, read 560,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think it's due to the insane cost more than anything. 70 bucks for a good glove, another 200 for a solid bat, 50 for cleats; the costs just add up. An inner city kid from a poor place like Detroit or St. Louis can't afford all those costs, and will be moved towards sports where all you need to buy is a ball and have a net to shoot the ball into
After a glove and a pair of shoes (which every sport demands a somewhat personal version of), that's about it. I'm sorry... the idea that "baseball is expensive, so kids can't play it" just struck me as kinda ridiculous. Throw the ball. Catch the ball. Hit the ball. On the basic level, last I checked (last week), a Wiffleball set was $4. You know this is the sport that carried lots of people through the Great Depression?

Also, the notion that baseball isn't an athletic sport is incorrect. Does it involve the level of fitness as soccer? No. Pitchers aside, take a look at the average professional baseball player.

Case in point:

There's definitely a trend of fewer young blacks in baseball, but I'm not sure it's attributable to cost more than anything else. It may be more of a leadership/organizational problem.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
that and in these inner cities they don't have baseball diamonds they have basketball courts

Old 07-18-2013, 12:58 PM

29 posts, read 45,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You can also reach first base through interference with a fielder (1B/Pitcher). It is a rare call but it happens.
You also get to first on a double, triple and home run!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Are there any statistics that support this?

On getting to first base, there are eight ways. Can you name them?

Spoiler
Hit
HBP
Walk
Error
Fielders choice
Catchers interference
dropped third strike
pinch runner
Well, I was gonna try my hand, but your spoiler popped up in the quote section
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball