Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:50 PM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times

Advertisements

42 and the Sandlot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,153,359 times
The Sandlot and Bad News Bears (original).

Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,992,766 times
I'll give this much to "42", it's the only biographical baseball film I've seen where it appears the actor could actually play baseball (excepting, of course, "The Jackie Robinson Story" where Jackie played himself). The Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig/Jimmy Piersall/Dizzy Dean/Monty Stratton/Ty Cobb biopics all starred actors who wouldn't crack a lineup on a co-ed softball team. But I found 42 to be quite "Disneyized" - other than the one long scene where Chapman is really laying on the racial epithets, the movie didn't communicate how awful it had to be being Jackie. As a result, Harrison Ford's Branch Rickey is the most memorable character, not Jackie.

I'll watch Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, Bull Durham, the original Bad News Bears and Major League pretty much anytime they show up on cable. I'd say my favorite among them is Field of Dreams.

However, my favorite baseball movie character is Steve Nebraska. It's a shame The Scout was so uneven. It had hilarious moments in a promising premise at the start, then devolved into some chick-flick mental crisis stuff, and got funny again in the end with the scenes involving Brooks and Steinbrenner.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,154,287 times
I watched Clint Eastwood's Trouble with the Curve (2012) and liked it alot. And it has Amy Adams in it, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,536,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I have heard good things about 42 as well. I haven't seen it yet.
A very good movie. Not great, but very good. Harrison Ford was excellent in it as was the actor was plaed Jackie Robinson.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:28 AM

26,223 posts, read 49,079,778 times
An old thread ... and a new baseball movie is out.

And it's about one of the best, Yogi Berra.

Movie title is: It's Ain't Over.

Review here.

You can observe a lot by watching.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2023, 04:57 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There has been one truly great baseball film, "Eight Men Out", and an assortment scrambling for second place.

I've liked:
Bang The Drum Slowly
A League of Their Own
The Bad News Bears
Mr. Baseball

Good acting and a few laughs masked a dull script and aimless story in "Bull Durham." I never understood what sort of mystic forces we were supposed to be thinking were at work in "The Natural", but it was well made. I don't even consider "Field of Dreams" to be a baseball movie, it was a mystical spiritualism flick, sort of like if the SciFi and Lifetime Channels made a joint project film.

"Major League" had a lot of good laughs but the funniest baseball movie ever has to be the last part of "The Naked Gun."
A League of Their Own had the best script of any baseball movie I have ever seen, with an immense evolution of characters, particularly Jimmy Dugan (going from hating team to playing scene spectacularly when players husband had died, plus also his memorable "Turned down the AAA job line"), and Stillwell Angel, the adult was battling needing to be at the HOF despite how hard he was finding it. Watching him looking wistfully at his mom's picture is an incredibly moving scene. Add in, Penny Marshall's pushed to rewrite the opening to accommodate Now & Forever, the better song of the two well known ones in the movie.

Old 06-04-2023, 05:56 PM

10,131 posts, read 1,028,461 times
Field of Dreams (1989)

Old 06-04-2023, 06:02 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Major League.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:35 PM

17,606 posts, read 15,292,362 times
So, there's lots of baseball movies that I like. And I probably wouldn't call this my favorite.. But..

No love for "Little Big League"?

That movie.. For the baseball scenes.. Is really high on my list. Leave the plot out.. But LOOKING like baseball.. That movie was excellent.

Supposedly, the producers, during casting, looked for baseball/athletic ability first.. Then acting ability.

Busfield played high school ball and some college before being injured.. Most, if not all of the players on the Twins in that movie had baseball experience. Moreso than just little league or something.

Honestly.. Might be overall the best baseball in a baseball movie.

Plot.. Meh.. I mean, it wasn't COMPLETELY unbelievable for the times. Early to mid 90's it was still possible someone would bequeath a team to an underage kid.. Though, I believe after Ted Turner managed the Braves for a bit there was a rule created or remembered that an owner couldn't manage their own team.. So.. It wasn't really credible, but.. MILDLY so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball