Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 07:45 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
An old thread ... and a new baseball movie is out.

And it's about one of the best, Yogi Berra.

Movie title is: It's Ain't Over.

Review here.

You can observe a lot by watching.

I just finished reading the excellent biography titled Yogi and was wo9ndering when there'd be a movie?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 06:12 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Pride of the Yankees

The Natural

Old 06-13-2023, 12:04 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So, there's lots of baseball movies that I like. And I probably wouldn't call this my favorite.. But..

No love for "Little Big League"?

That movie.. For the baseball scenes.. Is really high on my list. Leave the plot out.. But LOOKING like baseball.. That movie was excellent.

Supposedly, the producers, during casting, looked for baseball/athletic ability first.. Then acting ability.

Busfield played high school ball and some college before being injured.. Most, if not all of the players on the Twins in that movie had baseball experience. Moreso than just little league or something.

Honestly.. Might be overall the best baseball in a baseball movie.

Plot.. Meh.. I mean, it wasn't COMPLETELY unbelievable for the times. Early to mid 90's it was still possible someone would bequeath a team to an underage kid.. Though, I believe after Ted Turner managed the Braves for a bit there was a rule created or remembered that an owner couldn't manage their own team.. So.. It wasn't really credible, but.. MILDLY so.
And Pete Crow Armstrong's mom was in it.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:46 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,751,984 times
I loved Moneyball, but its hard to ignore the way the film didn't even mention players that were integral to the success of that era. Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Barry Zito, Tim Hudson and there are probably more.

Most of those guys came up the traditional way, my city, (Huntsville, AL) was the Oakland AA minor league team at the time and those guys came up and did some time here.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:07 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Most of those guys came up the traditional way, my city, (Huntsville, AL) was the Oakland AA minor league team at the time and those guys came up and did some time here.

Off movies, but.. Damn.. That had to be a great time. I had something similar here in the late 80's to early 90's.. We had the Greenville Braves, which was the AA affiliate of Atlanta. Javy Lopez, Chipper Jones, David Justice, Andrew Jones, Tom Glavine..

That's what makes me love baseball.. Seeing all those players come up through the system and become stars... And if some cases, HoFers.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:21 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
As a kid I saw the 1958 movie Damned Yankees about a Washington Senators fan who sold his soul to the devil if only he could lead the perennial basement dwelling Senators to a win in the World Series.

I saw the movie again in the past couple of years and I could not believe how much my taste in movies has changed as I thought the movie was silly and cliched to the point of gagging.

Meanwhile, the old saying about Washington as a baseball team went like this: "Washington, first in war, first in peace, last in the American League.

If I had to pick a favorite baseball movie it might be Bull Durham (Susan Sarandon in the bathtub ... ooh ooh baby ... sound of grown man biting his knuckles).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:18 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
I loved Moneyball, but its hard to ignore the way the film didn't even mention players that were integral to the success of that era. Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Barry Zito, Tim Hudson and there are probably more.

I had recurring nightmares about 'The Flip' by Jeter in the 2001 ALDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball