Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times

Advertisements

Baseball telecasts are being ruined by the following:

- sideline reporters. Don't need them. Worst offender? Erin Andrews.
- interviews with players and managers during the game. Can't find the mute button fast enough.
- horrible announcing. Worst offenders? Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

FOX doesn't know how to broadcast sports. It's all gimmicks with them. I miss the days when NBC had baseball. You have to go back to the 90's. They did it right. It was only about the game with only the best announcers in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM

423 posts, read 414,660 times
Thank God McCarver is hanging them up.

As for Joe....he can go get bucked!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I don't mind Joe Buck, at least his voice reminds you of baseball unlike ear bleeding Ernie Johnson. McCarver is awful, just think how great it would be if we had Vin or Bob Uecker. Personally I would love to hear Gary Thorne calling playoff baseball. I watch O's games just to listen to him.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Those beautiful girls with big hair on the sidelines with a memorized sports-like spiel are completely uncalled for -- I bet they even make the feminist movement cringe.

They remind me of the Mark Twain anecdote about how his wife got fed up with his swearing and cursing, and threw a blue-language diatribe back at him. Twain said "You got the lyrics right, but the melody is way off."

Ive heard Susan Waldman, she does fine, why can't the telecasts use her if a woman's presence is imperative. Patti Smith used to do the Astros games, she was fun, she didn't take it seriously, she was just on there joshin' with the guys and playing what she knew was a pointless role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZOovALkSDU

By the say, check your cable lineup, and see of you get Fox Deportes. Same video, but Spanish announcers

Last edited by jtur88; 10-14-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I don't mind Joe Buck, at least his voice reminds you of baseball unlike ear bleeding Ernie Johnson. McCarver is awful, just think how great it would be if we had Vin or Bob Uecker. Personally I would love to hear Gary Thorne calling playoff baseball. I watch O's games just to listen to him.
The funny thing is, when McCarver and Thorne were teamed together on Mets telecasts in the 80s/90s, they were probably the best announcing tandem in MLB. I don't know why McCarver turned into what he became once he went national, but it's sad.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
I guess I'm the only one that likes Tim McCarver....

One thing I hate about the national broadcasts is that they try to artificially inflate the stadium noise. When someone gets a big hit you can tell they turn on a mic or two that makes everything seem louder. And then during pitches you have the mic where you can hear that one annoying fan for the whole game. I hate it!!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
As a lifelong Braves fan, this is my fondest memory of Tim McCarver....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9jo8XkOfA

He deserved it too... LOL

Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 PM

35 posts, read 32,621 times
Then get your butt in the booth and try it. Not as easy as it looks

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Baseball telecasts are being ruined by the following:

- sideline reporters. Don't need them. Worst offender? Erin Andrews.
- interviews with players and managers during the game. Can't find the mute button fast enough.
- horrible announcing. Worst offenders? Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

FOX doesn't know how to broadcast sports. It's all gimmicks with them. I miss the days when NBC had baseball. You have to go back to the 90's. They did it right. It was only about the game with only the best announcers in the business.

Yes.........doesn't add anything to the game.

To be honest, on late games I usually fall asleep on the couch and then if I did miss something then they will show it on the replay 14 times before the game is over!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I pay for MLB extra innings so I can hear Vin Scully on the broadcast for my Dodgers. Those ESPN and especially the TBS announcers are horrible. Here in Colorado we have these two boobs who announce the Rockies games, all they talk about is their past career in baseball and food, interview coaches from the local hockey team. Rarely talk about the game in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball