Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times

Advertisements

The Tigers were pitiful when he took over the team.......no WS championships but they sure came close. I realize that they were outmatched by the Cardinals and Giants.....second best ain't too bad.

Evidently Mr. Leyland discussed his "retirement" with GM Dave Dombrowski back in the beginning of September. He will be in the Tigers' front office for now.

I read an article over the summer in the Phoenix newspaper......he was Kirk Gibson's first manager in the minor leagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
This guy has won every where he went. (except maybe the Rockies?). Took Pittsburgh to the NLCS. Won the WS with Florida in 97. Just came up short with the Tigers.

He's done a lot. We might never know exactly what has been said behind closed doors. But if this is in fact his own decision I wonder if he'd be willing to at least give it 1 more year if he was still looking for that World Series ring.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:28 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Jim Leyland has been a great manager in a lot of ways, but even great managers sometimes have bad stretches in which their magic doesn't work. Tony LaRussa made some of the biggest blunders in the WS two years ago and the only reason nobody talks about it is because they ended up winning. Leyland probably should have stuck with Scherzer for another inning in game six - that's really the only mistake I think you can pin on him. I don't think you can blame him in game two, if Scherzer was the one who said he had no gas left. Detroit needs better relief, and it might also need a faster team that can manufacture runs.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:57 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,583,698 times
He was a big reason why the Tigers have been one of my favorite teams since I started watching baseball in 2006. Sad to see he's retiring.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Here's one story on Leyland's retirement, I'm sure other sports websites have the story too.

Story says: "Leyland simply felt like he was running out of energy to the job properly."

Although his decision was made sometime ago, I can't help but think that Prince Fielder's running blunder and belly flop on Saturday was one aw-sheet too many. The TV camera showed Leyland with his arms up in the air as if to say 'what the hell is that about' when Fielder flopped and was tagged out like a wallowing walrus.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's one story on Leyland's retirement, I'm sure other sports websites have the story too.

Story says: "Leyland simply felt like he was running out of energy to the job properly."

Although his decision was made sometime ago, I can't help but think that Prince Fielder's running blunder and belly flop on Saturday was one aw-sheet too many. The TV camera showed Leyland with his arms up in the air as if to say 'what the hell is that about' when Fielder flopped and was tagged out like a wallowing walrus.
Fielder looked terrible in the post season.

This is what? Year Two of his nine year contract? May God help the Tigers.....

Leyland's 68 years old and is probably tired of living out of a suitcase most of the time. He has an eye for greatness, and specialized in player development for many years. Detroit Tigers' management would do well to create a role for him in their organization. And they will, we can be certain about that.

I read the article that you posted, and I think it would be a stretch to think that Gibby will be the next Tigers manager. Not impossible though....just a stretch.

The possible:

Gibson and the GM here in Phoenix don't always see "eye to eye". I think Kirk would like more say about who stays and who goes. He's tasked with running the game to game duties and he might be taking some flack about the mediocre record the Diamondbacks have lately. Also, Gibson still calls Michigan "home". Family, house, and hunting property. His son is a baseball standout at Michigan state University.

Why it won't happen:

Gibson was the bench coach under manager Alan Trammel's horrendous record with the Tigers. The entire coaching staff was canned in one fell swoop, even though they severely lacked talent on the field . Consider at the time that Bobby Higginson was their best player......

Not to mention that Tram & Gibby are best friends, and Trammel is now the Diamondbacks' bench coach.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I have a feeling that Leland really is just ready for more regular hours and an easier lifestyle. Managing an MLB team has to be extremely taxing and he isn't getting any younger.

I will miss him. Although I have never directly rooted for the teams he has managed, I have always liked and respected him as a manager.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have a feeling that Leland really is just ready for more regular hours and an easier lifestyle. Managing an MLB team has to be extremely taxing and he isn't getting any younger.

I will miss him. Although I have never directly rooted for the teams he has managed, I have always liked and respected him as a manager.

I can rarely make the whole game without falling asleep on the couch and Im closer to 1/2 his age!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Tigers interviewing 3rd base coach of the Dodgers.....Tim Wallach.

He'll get it.

He worked under Tigers' GM Dombrowski when he was in Montreal.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I can rarely make the whole game without falling asleep on the couch and Im closer to 1/2 his age!

I rarely catch an entire game on the TV as being there is so much different.

Not to mention, it's kinda hard to fall asleep when you're in a room with 30,000+ other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball