Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM

127 posts, read 166,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Don't think there's another Wil Myers to be had. It's either keep Price or get a larger package headlined by two or three very good prospects, rather than one awesome young talent.
They can't afford to pay his salary this year so he's definitely going to be dealt. I don't expect to know the names of any of the prospects they get for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post
Poor Yankees trying to buy another pennant.
Poor 29 other clubs trying to do the same.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Rangers finally cleared that log jam in the middle infield, and Fielder's numbers should be 15-20% better in that ballpark.
But can they teach him to catch a baseball?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
It's amusing to think that Russell Martin had a better WAR over his age 28-29 seasons than McCann, but not only did the Yanks toss Martin aside, they decided to pay McCann twice as much.
The Yankees apparently consider McCann more durable and think he will not struggle to hit .200. I expect McCann to break the team season HR mark for catchers held jointly by Berra and Posada.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:48 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Martin hasn't hit more than .250 since 2008. Over the last three years he's slashing .225/.321/.395. For comparison 39-year old Jorge Posada hit .235/.315/.398 in 2011.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
The Yankees apparently consider McCann more durable and think he will not struggle to hit .200. I expect McCann to break the team season HR mark for catchers held jointly by Berra and Posada.
I expect McCann to get his clock cleaned the first time he advises David Ortiz on how fast one should run to first after hitting a homer. Even funnier would be McCann trying to block Gomes from crossing the plate on a homer. There goes the Yankees catcher HR record.....and the ability to swallow whole food.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:27 PM

384 posts, read 595,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley83 View Post
I expect McCann to get his clock cleaned the first time he advises David Ortiz on how fast one should run to first after hitting a homer. Even funnier would be McCann trying to block Gomes from crossing the plate on a homer. There goes the Yankees catcher HR record.....and the ability to swallow whole food.
You assume Big Fatty would win that fight because.........? He is a known PED user or he has a higher BMI?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 AM

In a sanctioned boxing match, sure McCann might win against Ortiz. I don't expect a coward like McCann to block a player who's actually bigger or tougher than him. If he did with Ortiz though he'd most certainly receive a left hook before the benches cleared. Gomes would continue to do damage even within a pig pile.

Point is, the two times this season I saw McCann make a fool of himself trying to police the game, the players who just hit homeruns off the pitches he called delayed no longer than what Ortiz does on nearly every single dinger. If his insecurities get the better of him during a Red Sox game, it is my personal opinion that he will get his butt handed to him.

And I have no reason to believe that McCann's BMI is lower than either of those two guys, nor that Ortiz is known to be a PED user. He certainly wasn't taking them this fall when he was destroying the ball.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
It'd be okay to show off after hitting a very impressive homerun, kind of like Caarlos Delgado flipped his bat after hitting a no-doubter for his fourth of the game, or like Yoenis Cespedes was admiring a 462-footer he hit off Jason Vargas. David Ortiz however, stares down very unimpressive homeruns. One time I remember he did a massive bat flip after hitting one into the short porch at Yankee Stadium. The way he flipped his bat you woulda thought it was going to be off the upper deck facade

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It'd be okay to show off after hitting a very impressive homerun, kind of like Caarlos Delgado flipped his bat after hitting a no-doubter for his fourth of the game, or like Yoenis Cespedes was admiring a 462-footer he hit off Jason Vargas. David Ortiz however, stares down very unimpressive homeruns. One time I remember he did a massive bat flip after hitting one into the short porch at Yankee Stadium. The way he flipped his bat you woulda thought it was going to be off the upper deck facade
I lived in the Bay Area for the entirety of Barry Bonds' career and at least once each season he would get caught at the plate admiring what turned out to be balls which hit the wall rather than going over it. Bonds would then have to race to turn a triple into a double or a double into a single.

Even worse, a couple of times he pulled his arrogant act in the outfield. Balls would be struck toward the left field fence and Bonds would stand like a statue at his position, not even looking up at the flight of the ball, conceding the home run and doing so in such as way as to try and radiate "I know that is gone, no point in even watching it." Then the ball would smack off the wall and Bonds would have to go chasing after it, turning doubles into triples for the opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball