Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tim McCarver sucks
Yes he does suck. 10 50.00%
No he really doesn't suck. 10 50.00%
Who the hell is Tim McCarver? 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times

Advertisements

And I thought I was one of a few McCarver haters out there. There's whole websites dedicated to his inane comments. Man is he annoying. Just type in Tim McCarver in google and the second autofill response is "Tim McCarver stupid quotes." He has such a tendency to state the obvious as if he is only one of a select few that knows something (yah I know the strike zone is from the chest to the knees bozo!). Usually when you hear someone saying something stupid you at least feel better about yourself in comparison. Instead McCarver makes you feel like a fool for actually listening to him.

Tim McCarver: My Reason to Envy the Deaf | Bleacher Report

Uncommonly Sports: The Wisdom of Tim McCarver

And this one tries to salvage his reputation but it does a pretty good job doing the opposite instead.

Why World Series caller Tim McCarver is hated but should be respected | Sport | theguardian.com

And finally some not so notable quotables by McCarver:

“That pitch wasn’t down and in, that pitch was down and up.”
"Mt. Everest erupts again!"
"Something to keep in mind -- it's raining lightly. The infield could be very wet on ground balls."
"Roy Oswalt is a drop and drive pitcher. What is a drop and drive pitcher? He is a guy who drops and drives. Very simple."
"Watch Darren Daulton use his mitt like a glove."
"There is a world of difference between a count of one ball and two strikes is a lot different situation than hitting with two strikes and one ball."
"Giambi walks too much. He's always clogging up the bases with all that walking."
"The reason we call that pitch up and in is because the arms are attached to the shoulder."
"With Guererro, it's not as much a strike ZONE as it is a strike AREA."
"You see Colon talking into his glove because David Ortiz, from the Dominican Republic, can obviously read lips in Spanish."
"Beckett's retired 19 batters through Six and a third innings, he's having a phenomonal night..."
"One thing about ground balls. They don't go out of the ball park."
"Yankee pitchers have had great success this year against Cabrera when they get him out."

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 10-29-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
"Roy Oswalt is a drop and drive pitcher. What is a drop and drive pitcher? He is a guy who drops and drives. Very simple."

I actually know what he's talking about on this one.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post

I actually know what he's talking about on this one.
We all should since it's obviously "very simple." Maybe you could help explain what a "down and up" pitch is.

Tim McCarver on a good day - YouTube

And if you really want to laugh read the comments under the video. "I really like Tim McCarver" said no one ever (hilarious).

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 10-29-2013 at 05:13 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM

And in case you thought he is getting better last night he said, "The team that goes to Boston up 3 games to 2 will have an advantage"... well shut my mouth. I assume his next pearl of wisdom is going to be that the team that wins 4 games will REALLY have an advantage.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I like when he said last night "When you're in the zone like David Ortiz, the baseball looks like a cantaloupe with seeds ummm seams". I laughed out loud, he is fun bad, I listen to him just to hear what stupid thing he says. I do like Joe Buck though as much as I used to hate him, he has really grown on me.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
McCarver sounds like Joe Garagiola to me, and I'm thinking that's part of his appeal to the network.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
He's better than Joe Morgan, at least.

McCarver's been a good commentator for the most part, but I'd agree that he's become the crotchety old man who "walked six miles to school in the snow and liked it" guy in the booth in recent years. I get why he's unpopular, but he was good at one time. Really, he was. He's tolerable now, but I can understand why others don't dig him.

Joe Bucks' okay when he's not channeling his dad. Don't get me wrong - I respect the fact that he loved his old man and misses him. But he ain't Jack, and he shouldn't try to be him in the booth. Joe should be his own dude. He's basically an okay play-by-play guy when he's not trying to be dramatic.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
McCarver sounds like Joe Garagiola to me, and I'm thinking that's part of his appeal to the network.
Used to love Joe G and Vin Scully. Hard to believe they've been off the national airwaves for damn near 30 years. It's terrible because that was probably the best team I've ever listened to.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Used to love Joe G and Vin Scully. Hard to believe they've been off the national airwaves for damn near 30 years. It's terrible because that was probably the best team I've ever listened to.
Stop, your making me feel OLD!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
McCarver used to be excellent at inside baseball stuff when he was broadcasting with the Mets.

I guess when you go national it's best to say very little (a la Scully, Gowdy) as the alternative seems to be to dumb down what you're saying for the casual fan (Joe Morgan, current McCarver).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball