Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
The BANKEES are back! After a 4 year hiatus where the farm system is producing nothing but weeds, the BANKEES decide to buy their way back into a pennant race spending 155 Million on a guy who has never thrown a major league pitch. Only the deep pockets of the BANKEES can do that and spend a half BILLION dollars in a 3 month span.

Seriously, MLB is a joke. There are like 7 or 8 teams buying players and 23 or so who hope they can build through the minor league system..catch lightning in a bottle one time and then watch as all their good players go to the a handful of deep pocket teams...
I disagree with you, the Dodgers have deep pockets as well, probably even deeper. I think they are just being a tad it more financially resposible. They felt Tanaka wasn't worth what the Bankees paid.

I agree with you to a degree, MLB is basically a farm system for those 5 teams (as I see it). But it still doesn't garantee a World Series victory, it just makes them competitive or in the running for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
If you have ever been overseas to Europe, to Asia, or down south to Latin and South America you'd understand that certain teams have universal appeal even though they are not in the states. Teams like the Lakers, Bulls, Yankees, Red Sox, and cowboys are examples of teams that are well known out of the states. In Asia, a lot of kids grow up being Yankee fans, so coming to the states to play for them when they are offered similar contracts from other teams is understandable. I honestly think that the difference in money from the Yankees to the cubs was nothing. it was just common sense. Would Tanaka rather play for a contender or come over and hope a rebuilding team would give him a chance in the future.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
The Yankees spent a crap load of money and still don't have a full starting 5 for their rotation or a clear direction in their bullpen. They are old. They have huge question marks at 3B, SS, 2B, and 1B. If Jeter and Tex end up injured, as is very likely, they have limited depth and that depth isn't exactly great offensively. If their fill in solutions at 3B and 2B are a bust, they have shaky depth.

The Yanks better hope that McCann abuses that short porch in RF for a few HRs, and they better hope that Ellsbury stays on the field and does the same. They also better hope that all their starters stay healthy and productive, and they better hope that Tanaka is what he seems to be and makes the transition to MLB and his arm and shoulder hold out.

Plenty of "IF's" for the Yanks. They better hope the stars align and they can be competitive.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The Yankees spent a crap load of money and still don't have a full starting 5 for their rotation or a clear direction in their bullpen. They are old. They have huge question marks at 3B, SS, 2B, and 1B. If Jeter and Tex end up injured, as is very likely, they have limited depth and that depth isn't exactly great offensively. If their fill in solutions at 3B and 2B are a bust, they have shaky depth.

The Yanks better hope that McCann abuses that short porch in RF for a few HRs, and they better hope that Ellsbury stays on the field and does the same. They also better hope that all their starters stay healthy and productive, and they better hope that Tanaka is what he seems to be and makes the transition to MLB and his arm and shoulder hold out.

Plenty of "IF's" for the Yanks. They better hope the stars align and they can be competitive.
I believe they will be competitive and the starters aren't the issue. They do have a full starting 5. The top 4 are Sabathia, Kuroda, Tanaka, Nova, and either Michael Pineda, Phelps, Adam Warren, or someone else as the 5th. Their middle relief is okay but questionable. Their OF is pretty solid and has depth but they will be older in RF. If Jeter can't go, we will be playing with role players. Honestly we need to start getting a few young guys ready (2B,SS,3B) for when Jeter and Arod are gone. This team will be competitive because good pitching always beats good hitting. I do see a playoff team; but can they win it all? Your guess is as good as mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball