Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
2. Ty Cobb going into the stands to beat up a cripple who was heckling him.

But there's a good part to it.

The incident was included in the movie "Cobb", with the part of the crippled heckler being played by Jimmy Buffet. I can't stand his music, so it was really cool to see him get beat up by Tommy Lee Jones, while knowing that he didn't really get hurt.

While I wouldn't say that it was one of the ten most shameful events in baseball history, I still feel that Lee MacPhail was wrong to overturn the umpires' decision to call George Brett out in the "Pine Tar Incident".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
I would not include the DH as a "shameful event" at all. I'm an AL fan and like the DH. To me, the most egregious and "shameful event" recently is inter-league play.

Keeping the two leagues separate to me helped preserve the special nature of the World Series. Players and teams who had not faced each other then meeting in Oct in the biggest stage was special.

The biggest issue for me with inter-league play is the failure to use the DH for all games. Making AL pitchers bat and run the bases is generally a handicap for the AL team, since pitchers do not hit and run the bases for 99% of their games.They are at higher risk for injury.

On top of that, taking the DH out of the lineup is a handicap for teams who build their lineups around the DH. Losing one of your most productive hitters can be hard to overcome.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
The owners and Commissioner turning their heads and playing dumb while steroid use was clearly becoming prevalent, then turning around and being self-righteous about "cleaning up" the game.

It'd be nice to have some investigative reporter dig deep into this part of the era and write a book about it. It'd be far more interesting than finding out athletes will do what other athletes are doing.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:24 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
But there's a good part to it.

The incident was included in the movie "Cobb", with the part of the crippled heckler being played by Jimmy Buffet. I can't stand his music, so it was really cool to see him get beat up by Tommy Lee Jones, while knowing that he didn't really get hurt.

While I wouldn't say that it was one of the ten most shameful events in baseball history, I still feel that Lee MacPhail was wrong to overturn the umpires' decision to call George Brett out in the "Pine Tar Incident".
I'd totally forgot that they made a movie about Cobb. Was it any good?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:23 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
I'd totally forgot that they made a movie about Cobb. Was it any good?

I thought it was great.

Although it included a few scenes of Cobb's playing days, the movie was set in the early 1960's and was about Cobb's relationship with the sportswriter ("Stumpy") who Cobb selected to ghost-write his autobiography. Tommy Lee Jones was really great in the title role and Robert Wuhl was very good as Stumpy.

Unfortunately, it was a baseball-related movie that got released in the middle of winter. In Baltimore, a city with a major league baseball team, it played in just one theater for just one week. I went to see it with a friend, and the two of us made up 50% of the audience.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I would not include the DH as a "shameful event" at all. I'm an AL fan and like the DH. To me, the most egregious and "shameful event" recently is inter-league play.

Keeping the two leagues separate to me helped preserve the special nature of the World Series. Players and teams who had not faced each other then meeting in Oct in the biggest stage was special.

The biggest issue for me with inter-league play is the failure to use the DH for all games. Making AL pitchers bat and run the bases is generally a handicap for the AL team, since pitchers do not hit and run the bases for 99% of their games.They are at higher risk for injury.

On top of that, taking the DH out of the lineup is a handicap for teams who build their lineups around the DH. Losing one of your most productive hitters can be hard to overcome.

waaaaaaah waaaaaaaah waaaaaaaah

Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

You are viewing but one side of the matter, it actually works out to a fair competitive balance. Games are alternated between AL and NL parks. The disadvantages you list for the AL are valid ones, but they are offset by corresponding advantages when they play at home. Most AL teams will have on their rosters, someone who can rake the ball but is a liability with the glove. Because they do not have to concern themselves with his defense, such players may be carried on AL rosters. In the NL, everyone has to play defense or be limited to pinch hitting only, so they cannot afford to carry a one dimensional hitter. Consequently, when NL teams play in AL parks, the AL DH is typically someone batting in one of the 3-4-5 slots in the order. The NL team's DH will be someone who doesn't hit well enough to be a regular, or some regular taking a day off from playing defense who gets replaced by someone who does not hit well enough to be a regular, and who bats at the bottom of the order.

The AL generally enjoys the advantage of the superior DH.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Roberto Alomar/umpire incident.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
How is the cancellation of games after 9/11 a shameful event? Wasn't it meant to be a gesture of respect for the victims and an acknowledgement that something more important than baseball was taking place?
Baseball continued right through WWII without missing a single game, and they traveled by train.
Rudy Giuliani, on September 12:
Giuliani, go shopping, ABC, 19:35, 9/12 - YouTube
(That quote is widely misattributed to George W. Bush, who shared the sentiments, but didn't say it in so many words.)

Quote:
5. Not letting Ruth manage after his playing career was over.
Nobody blocked Ruth from managing. The Yankees offered him the AAA manager's job, and Ruth turned it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Letting the Cubs play every year !
Or forcing them to put in lights.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-17-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Baseball continued right through WWII without missing a single game, and they traveled by train.
That does not explain how the cancellation of the games was shameful at all, much less one of the ten most shameful events.

What is your point? YNMYDAY they would have kept on playing if there had been an air attack on the stadium itself..cough...spit..

And they did not play baseball in the first week after Pearl Harbor, that was in December, MLB did not begin again for another four months. Further, all of the teams in 1942 were concentrated east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon line. Their schedules were designed with train travel in mind. Please explain to me how an east coast team which plays a home game on Thursday and is scheduled to play a west coast road game on Friday utilizing only train travel, pulls this off.

Who is supposed to be ashamed? The Commissioner for not being tough enough? The players for being pansy enough to go along with it? The whole nation for being too damn sentimental?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball