Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM

273 posts, read 348,531 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see some stats that factor salary into such things as player and team performance. I'm not 100% sure what it would show, and I know that many will say it wouldn't be indicative of anything, but I'd like to see the stats anyway. Unfortunately, I suck at math so can't be the one to figure it out.

I guess the premise of the stats would be that players or teams making more money have that % difference advantage. How can that advantage be factored into the comparisons and how does player and/or team performance change if the monetary advantage is removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Wierd how the NBA and NFL have managed to have parity and somehow, it's just impossible for MLB.

Not weird at all. Think.

Only one sport can literally have a tv station created just for it, which will feature 6 months of live programming, with an average of one night off air every two weeks..MLB.

The NFL TV revenue is 100% national and shared.

Forbes I believe years ago calculated the Yankees breakeven attendence. It was a negative #, TV and merchandise alone could have them in the black.

The NBA has some local TV revenue, but it is not the financial boost MLB provides in big markets. The lack of MLB parity is due to the fact KC doesn't have NYC's tv market. But sharing it in full, before you ask, would be gross. Buying the Yankees would cost 500% or more buying KC-the excess price is tied to the tv network difference. (JUst like buying a 5,000 sq foot home on Long Island will cost several times the 2,000 sq ft home on the same block).

Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good choices by Jtur88, a few words about Roger Maris.

The MLB hierarcy, led by commissioner Ford Frick obviously became uncomfortable with the Maris/Mantle home run derby in 1961. Frick was totally out of line regarding the asterick. When Babe Ruth hit the 29 home runs in 1919, he had a lot of extra games to work with but nobody said anything about THAT. The American League record of 16 home runs was set by Ralph Seybold and it was done in 135 games (I think.) So Babe had 17 more games to work with.

Ford Frick was Babe Ruth's ghostwriter. It's easy for me to see why Frick did what he did.

And Maris was vilified for his efforts. And eventually was run out of town for his efforts. Mantle was the established star not only with the Yankees but MLB in general. Maris was just a second year Yankee. And the writers never let Maris forget it either.
The asterisk is an urban myth. It never existed.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:46 AM

127 posts, read 166,742 times
I'll add Jim Grey selfishly ruining the 1999 All Star game with what he said to Pete Rose. That should have been the most special night of the century but Grey insisted on making it all about himself.

The play that resulted in Buster Posey breaking his leg was pretty shameful too. Not top ten worthy, but still disgusting. Same with several of AJ Pierzynski's plays that for some reason are merely dismissed as "gritty".

I agree that stopping MLB for a week was far from shameful. It was not only a matter of national security, it was also the time needed for people to feel safe enough to even show up to the ballpark. Like someone said earlier, flights were cancelled for a few days anyway. There were a million ways for MLB's return to go wrong, including many that would leave fans dead, but it went off without a hitch. Security was sky high that night at Shea and that manpower should not have been wasted on entertainment any sooner. In my opinion, MLB could not have handled or timed its return any better.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Wierd how the NBA and NFL have managed to have parity and somehow, it's just impossible for MLB.

I find it really funny that you went from claiming that the disparity is nothing new, when it's exploded hugely. Now all of the sudden it's "well they tried but you can't fix that" for an excuse.

Just a few posts ago you were denying it's even an issue but clearly were oblivious to the problem.

Granted, if it is the team you favor that is benefiting, then it is harder to notice the decay of the less fortunate franchises.

MLB is in for some real hurt as the boomers die off.
In what world does the NBA have parity? The NBA has the least competitive parity of any of the major sports(excluding hockey, I'm not familiar enough with hockey) by far.

Last edited by jdm2008; 02-23-2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
The two fans trying to burn the American Flag at Dodger Stadium. Thank God Rick Monday grabbed it before they could lite the flag.

Roseann Barr butchering the National Anthem, then she grabs her croutch area when she was done.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:21 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
In what world does the NBA have parity? The NBA has the least competitive parity of any of the major sports(excluding hockey, I'm not familiar enough with hockey) by far.
No, Tennis has vastly less parity.

If you think about it, you will understand why the NBA has parity relative to the nature of the sport.

Parity means teams have a chance to build a team with good decisions, payroll etc.

By the very nature you won't get championship parity in the NBA over a 10-20 year period due to that.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 AM

97 posts, read 97,520 times
Game 5 of the 1997 NLCS

Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
No, Tennis has vastly less parity.

If you think about it, you will understand why the NBA has parity relative to the nature of the sport.

Parity means teams have a chance to build a team with good decisions, payroll etc.

By the very nature you won't get championship parity in the NBA over a 10-20 year period due to that.
No that's not what parity means. Parity means that different teams wins championships and make the playoffs every year. Of which the MLB has more of than NBA which makes what you said false and since you just admitted in your post that it's false I don't know why you said it in the first place.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
The asterisk is an urban myth. It never existed.
Agreed that technically, there was no asterisk (I'm familiar with Phil Pepe's book on this subject) But adding an extra line to the record book to note that Roger Maris had an extra eight games to work with basically served the same purpose. Babe Ruth had an extra 17 games to work with when he broke Ralph Seybold's A.L. record with 29 home runs but nothing was ever said about that. IIRC, that change was made while Faye Vincent was MLB's commissioner in 1992.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-25-2014 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: spelling, addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball