Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 PM

18,164 posts, read 25,704,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not mentioned so far has been the 1965 incident where Juan Marichal attacked Dodger catcher John Roseboro with his bat.
A few years before John Roseboro passed in 2002, I read an interview in The Sporting News. A writer asked Juan Marichal what his most meaningful baseball memory was when he played. Marichal replied, "The day that John Roseboro forgave me."

Turn back the clock nearly a half century. Ever since the Dodgers and Giants relocated to California their rivalry had become somewhat contentious. But this incident put it over the top. And regards to the mood of the country in general? IIRC the Watts Riots were going full tilt in Los Angeles. The Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam war was numbers 1 and 2 regarding the countries problems. As a 15 year old who saw my favorite club the Yankees go into the tank, I focused closely on two of my favorite players in the Senior Circuit, Willie Mays and Sandy Koufax- for they will always be remembered in this sad episode in this story. You had no cable, no kazillion instant replays, no ESPN, but this was a story that had legs to it.

Coming down to the last month of the 1965 regular season, the summer was hot, the mood of the country was hotter, and the two clubs were battling for a world series berth. And in the previous game things were contentious and a half between the Giants and Dodgers. Juan Marichal was at the plate, Koufax pitched him a little tight, and Roseboro fired the ball back to Sandy and was very close to Marichal when he did it. The story as I remember it was Marichal yelling "What the hell is that about and Roseboro replied to get bleeped." Next thing happened was a brawl to beat all brawls. Both benches emptied and the fight went for about 20 minutes. Roseboro was struck twice by Marichal's bat, opening up a three inch gash in his head. I can't remember how many players umpire Shag Crawford tossed out of the game, Marichal was certainly tossed though. Willie Mays tried to become peacemaker, grabbed Roseboro and got him to the Dodger dugout as blood was all over Roseboro, his head, face, and uniform.

I don't remember the game being televised in my area but NBC network replayed it over and over and over again. Usually NBC Huntley Brinkely report doesn't report on sports but they did in this instance.

My folks subscribed to Life Magazine and there was a three page story with pictures about it. Marichal was suspended 8 games by National League president Warren Giles. Marichal was also fined $1750 by the league (not much $$ but remember this was 49 years ago). After the season Roseboro sued Marichal and there was an out of court settlement.

In the years since there has been certainly some tense moments between the two clubs but nothing could ever come close to this event. And I remember the times. I remember the Watts riots (the game was played in Frisco though.) And I remember those three words regarding those riots; "Burn Baby Burn." After several years went by both players became more and more uneasy about that sorry day. When Marichal was up for nomination in the HOF in 1979 (I think?) the thinking was the voters committee was going to keep him out for a while because of what happened on 8/22/65. Marichal certainly had a won loss record that would put him to Cooperstown and after a couple more years went by Roseboro "went to bat" for Marichal, appealing to the writers to remember the times, the long time rivalry between the clubs, and that he had forgiven him a couple years ago. And to try to put this incident behind them.

Later in life Marichal and Roseboro were good friends and would get together at benefit golf tournaments, card /memorabilia shows, etc., and so did their families. Roseboro's health really took a tailspin as diabetes basically took over. Roseboro passed in 2002 from a stroke. And Marichal spoke at Roseboro's funeral.

When I remember Juan Marichal I think of the third best pitcher in the National League in the 1960's, behind Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson. And DO I remember Juan's famous "leg kick." When I think of John Roseboro I think of a catcher who had big shoes to fill. He replaced one of the best catchers in MLB history, Roy Campanella. Roseboro later was a 6 time Golden Glove winner.

And sadly I remember 8/22/65.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: spelling, correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,906,342 times
The San Francisco Giants.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,906,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Give me a break. Just stop your embarrassing yourself. There should be other forums for your to troll with this irrelevant(maybe you thought this thread was about tennis), incoherent nonsense.
What is the difference between baseball and tennis?

Aren't participants in both sports just trying to put a ball where their opponent can't get it?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,858,870 times
Quote:
That does not explain how the cancellation of the games was shameful at all, much less one of the ten most shameful events.

What is your point? YNMYDAY they would have kept on playing if there had been an air attack on the stadium itself..cough...spit..
Gotta agree with Grandstander on this one. There could have been security issues with any gathering of a large crowd. I'm a sports fan, and I can get plenty excited about my favorite teams, but sports are still entertainment. Nothing wrong with showing some respect to the memories of those killed, and taking time to think about how serious the situation was, by taking some time off from entertainment.

In any case, even if you disagreed with decision, I don't see how it's shameful. And in the top ten? Along with things like 50 years of segregation? No comparison.

Quote:
Further, all of the teams in 1942 were concentrated east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon line. Their schedules were designed with train travel in mind. Please explain to me how an east coast team which plays a home game on Thursday and is scheduled to play a west coast road game on Friday utilizing only train travel, pulls this off.
There was the practical issue of travel as well. As Grandstander points out, they didn't have to travel from coast to coast in the '40's. The most distant MLB cities from each other were Boston and St. Louis, and I doubt that teams often, if ever, traveled that far on one leg of a trip. More likely they worked their way gradually across the country from city to city.

Even if some teams wouldn't have had far to travel right after 9/11, if they had played their games, it would have made things more confusing, by causing uneven schedules, to have some teams up to date on their games while the teams with longer distances to travel would still have been behind schedule.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Roberto Alomar/umpire incident.
Quote:
Not mentioned so far has been the 1965 incident where Juan Marichal attacked Dodger catcher John Roseboro with his bat.
While we're on the subject of shameful conduct by players during games, how about Bert Campaneris winging his bat at an opposing pitcher?

CAMPY THROWS HIS BAT AT LERRIN LAGROW - YouTube

While a different kind of incident than the ones where someone was physically injured, or could have been, this one was cheating, and in the playoffs, and in a really bush-league way, so I'll add A-Rod's ball-slapping incident in the '04 LCS for consideration.

Quote:
I would also list Reds manager Pete Rose, who despite no longer being able to produce at even an average level of performance for a firstbaseman, writing the name of Pete Rose the Reds player into their lineup for no justifiable purpose beyond his getting enough at bats to break Ty Cobb's hit record. In 1985, the year Rose broke the record, he batted .264 with two home runs in 501 plate appearances. This forced the real firstbaseman, Nick Esasky to have to play out of position in leftfield in order to be in the lineup, and it forced outfielder young Eric Davis to the bench to make room for Esasky.

Also available to play first on the Reds that season was the veteran Tony Perez who batted .328 /.396 /.470 in 202 plate appearances.

All of those players had their careers hurt by Rose's selfish pursuit. By playing himself rather than more qualified players who were available, Rose also was spitting on the concept of winning uber alles.
With Rose, of course there was also the bit about betting on the Reds. It's my understanding that no one ever proved that he bet on the Reds to lose, but there's still a question of maintaining absolute integrity that makes it better for a manager/coach/player to avoid betting on his own team at all. Or really on his sport for that matter.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
In the '70's some Reds fans showered Astros outfielder Bob Watson with beer as he laid unconscious on the warning track after slamming into the wall. Now that's shameful.
On the subject of disgusting conduct by fans, move to the opposite corner of Ohio, and recall Cleveland’s Nickel Beer Riot of 1974:

On This Date in 1974, Cleveland's "Ten Cent Beer Night" Went Horribly Wrong | Mental Floss

Urban Dictionary: Great Nickel Beer Night Riot.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM

101 posts, read 172,403 times
Disco night by the Chicago White Sox. Joe Garigoalia (spl) trying to spike Jackie Robinson. Selfish Pete Rose writing his own name on the lineup in an effort to break Cobb's record of base hits.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,650,064 times
In no particular order:

* Shoeless Joe Jackson's omission from HOF
* Instant Reply
* Steroids
* Shameful history of racism
* DH-it's outlived it's time and I'm an AL fan
* Lack of strict salary cap
* All star game-does anyone even care anymore?
* Interleague play
* HOF-entry needs to be much more restrictive.
* 162 game schedule-too many. Even the old 154 seems too long.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
In no particular order:

* Shoeless Joe Jackson's omission from HOF
Jackson was aware of the fix and failed to report it. Jackson accepted 5000 dollars to participate in the fix. That he played well despite this is hardly an excuse for his behavior. There was a right thing to do, refuse participation and inform his club of the planned tanking of the games, and there was a wrong thing to do, keep silent and accept the money. That Jackson was an uneducated person does not mean that he could not distinguish between what was right and wrong in this case.

Jackson did the wrong thing and justly deserves denial of enshrinement. Going along with the boys was more important to Jackson than the integrity of his profession. Getting caught meant that there was a price to pay and he paid it.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,650,064 times
I've read just as many accounts that suggest he was basically set up and his involvement was in question. I tend to believe that and it's not exactly like the HOF is populated with gentlemen of high esteem. It's full of racists, misogynists, drunks and morally deficient men of questionable character. Then again, I think Pete Rose belongs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball