Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Here's one that occurs to me. In baseball, you will lose 1/3 of your games no matter how good you are, and you will win 1/3 no matter how bad you are.

In the past eight years, every team in Major League Baseball was, 60 games into the season, between .333 and .666, with only four exceptions, all four below .333, spread out over four different teams. That's four teams out of 240 that defied the above adage. Without any salary impositions.

For comparison, Currently, in the National Basketball Association, ten of the 30 team are above .666 or below .333, at a point 60 games into the season. (Which is why I chose 60 games into the season to make the comparison.)

Spread out over a whole season, an average of only one team per season even wins 3/5 of their games (ten in the last ten years over .600.)

Last edited by jtur88; 03-03-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
The NBA has fewer teams, different scheduling algorithms, and a shorter season. I am not saying the numbers are not a little interesting, but it a completely arbitrary comparison with no real life use.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The NBA has fewer teams, different scheduling algorithms, and a shorter season. I am not saying the numbers are not a little interesting, but it a completely arbitrary comparison with no real life use.
The NBA has exactly the same number of teams (30) and I adjusted to first 60 games to account for length of season amd equalize the critera. In both leagues, scheduling algorithms change frequently. It's even worse in college basketball, where at this moment, 25% of 330 conference teams have in-conference records above .667. That does not count the non-conference blowouts and mismatches in the early season, but only games against opponents of presumably equal stature..

Last edited by jtur88; 03-03-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 01:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The NBA has exactly the same number of teams (30) and I adjusted to first 60 games to account for length of season amd equalize the critera. In both leagues, scheduling algorithms change frequently. It's even worse in college basketball, where at this moment, 25% of 330 conference teams have in-conference records above .667. That does not count the non-conference blowouts and mismatches in the early season, but only games against opponents of presumably equal stature..
That's nice..........it is still a silly comparison made sillier bringing in college basketball.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
The comparison is a bit weak. In the NBA you have one conference that has been much stronger than the other for a few years now(western) and that means teams like Miami and Indiana will have an easier path to a .666 percentage because you play your own conference more.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
What makes baseball better than any other sport?
For me it has always been the numbers. When I was a kid someone gave me a pack of Hall of Fame baseball cards with the career stats on the back, and I was enchanted. Before I ever saw a ML game, I was alreasy immersed in the history of the game and could tell you what Arky Vaughan hit in 1935 (.385) or how many home runs Mel Ott hit in 1929 (42) and so forth.

Then just as I was first starting to watch the games and follow the races, the Mantle/Maris assault on Ruth came along and I was transfixed by that. Two years later Sandy Koufax had his first big season and two years after that he set the modern single season K record with 382 (since passed by Nolan Ryan with 383) and that same year Willie Mays hit 51 home runs, his second career 50 plus season which put him in what was then rare company (Ruth, Foxx, Mantle and Kiner only other multiple 50 homer seasons).

You get the idea, the numbers told the story. You could look at a players career stats and they could tell you a a lot about a player without ever having seen the fellow play. You see Dick Stuart's hitting stats alongside Luis Aparicio's hitting stats and you knew which guy was bigger, which guy was faster, which one played first base and which one held down one of the skill positions.

I loved seeing challenges to the records.

It was because of this that I have so much contempt for the PEDs generation. The greatest and longest lasting damage that they have done to the game is making the record book tainted and unreliable.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
No time limit. So no prevent defense or playing for a field goal. No intentional fouling. No shoot-offs. You just keep playing the exact same game for however long it takes.

Now, that can get absurd if you're watching a four-hour nine-inning Yankee/Red Sox game, but otherwise, it's a great game to watch and analyze. As noted above, the numbers also mean more in baseball than other sports so it's more fun to discuss and speculate.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:46 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Jerry Seinfeld was on Mike and Mike (Formerly known as Mike and Mike in the Morning) a month or so ago and baseball came up as a topic and Jerry was asked why he loves baseball and he had a very interesting answer.

Jerry said that in football, you can watch a play and see the end result, but not really know how the the players got from Point A to Point B, but with baseball, you don't need to be an expert to know what happened and that its pretty self explanatory.

Now, whether or not that makes Baseball "the best" is open for debate obviously, but its certainly an interesting perspective.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
In a baseball game, how many times do you see a balk or someone called safe/out on interference? Once every few games or so?

In basketball and football there are constant fouls and penalty flags and when there aren't, there are arguments that there should have been.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
It's not yet another variant of "put the ball in the hole or across the line".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball