Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 07:21 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
That's a good point. I think the Cubs carry that label because there was nothing intimidating about the face of their franchise, coupled with the fact that they play in this friendly ballpark with ivy and day games where Take Me Out To The Ballgame and organs are such a staple of old baseball which you don't see. With the Mets, I think it's just because they play second fiddle to the big bad Yankees in the same city.

What separates Seattle though is them being such a newer major sports city relative to the others.
Here is another irony of Seattle. It technically sits in Toronto's shadow. Alot of people forget that Canada is a few miles away. Toronto fans came out in full force at Safeco this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM

The Mets were in the Yankees' shadow, the Cubs are an old team. I would think that the White Sox would have garnered the "lovable loser" status even more. No lore of a curse for the White Sox. 2nd team in the nation's 2nd city. When they did when the World Series, it was overshadowed by the steroid trials.

The Pirates have the curse of 1992. 20 straight losing seasons. While breaking that curse made big news, the Pirates were never "lovable losers", they were just sad losers. A team that couldn't catch a break.

When the Mariners reached their highest of highs, in 2001, 9-11 overshadowed that. And it was the last time the M's were ever in the playoffs. We have the longest active playoff drought in the majors. We also have the 2nd longest pennant drought in the majors(Expos/Nationals are 48 seasons deep).

Growing up, I never realized how bad the M's had it, until they became bad. When you're grow up with a team that is respectable, you don't give it much thought.
-The M's had to wait until their 15th season to have a record at or above .500(14 straight losing seasons)
-Five 100 loss seasons. 2 of those are somewhat recent (2008 and 2010). The Cubs, for all of their lore as "loveble losers" have only hit the 100 loss mark 3 times in 140 years. The M's did it within 10 seasons of play that many times, and picked up two more over the last 10.
-Have never been to a World Series
-15 season playoff drought
-After the 2003 season, the M's have only had 4 seasons over .500 out of the last 13. They've had 5 seasons where they have won less than 68 games.
-Out of 40 seasons, 13 have been .500 or better.

In short, the M's have a dubious history. We lose, but we don't have much lore associated with it. We just lose.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:30 PM

465 posts, read 304,101 times
Here are their first round picks since 2005-2015 (Jeff Clement, Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont, Josh Fields, Dustin Ackley, Danny Hultzen, Mike Zunino, DJ Peterson, Alex Jackson)

The M's achillies has been their awful front office management. Bill Bavasi might be one of the worst of all time (nepotism helped him climb the ladder) and would construct lineups of low avg, strikeout hitters in a big ballpark (Richie Sexson) and burned in trades (Soriano for Horacio Ramirez, Adam Jones, Tillman and others for Erik Bedard. Then Jack Z comes in and contributed to the polluted atmosphere in the front office with a revolving door at manager and a hyped system with bust after bust. Not only are they poor with player evaluation but they don't even build their team around their own park. Look at how the Giants & Royals do to create their teams.

The jury is still out on Dipoto but this organization needs to make a huge splash in front office management the next chance they get. This isn't the Padres. They have the cash to pay good baseball executives to go there. (Ie. If Billy Beane or a Brian Cashman became available) Not only do they need to make smarter trades & free agent acquisitions but they need to change their philosophies in player development? They've been in the upper portion of the draft for the last ten years and none of these guys can't even develop into a good regular big league player or pitcher? Guys like Theo Epstein, Dave Dombroski, Brian Cashman, Andrew Friedman always consistently get their teams in the playoffs year in and year out. The M's need to stop overthinking this decision and just hire a monster baseball executive the next chance they get.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
Default What is wrong with the 2017 Mariners?

I know it is early, so spare me with those comments. But this team seems to have several problems. Pitching has actually been decent, atleast from the starters. The bullpen is struggling. Hitting has been good, as offered today, yet they blew a 7-run lead to lose. Goes back to the pen. So here we are again, starting out at 1-6. Kind of like last year, where they turned it around, almost. This team has some problems. I don't know if the strong offense will be able to overcome weak pitching from the pen. I hope that this post will be corrected by wins, but I am not too excited about that possibility. Last place in the AL West seems to be where this team will end up, after being predicted to be in the top of the division.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-09-2017 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 PM

1-6 so far. Nothing short of anger I'm feeling right now.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
1-6 so far. Nothing short of anger I'm feeling right now.
Frustrating for sure, but, does it really matter?

538 gives the Mariners a 35% chance of making the playoffs now.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...b-predictions/

At the beginning of the season they gave them a 48% chance.

So, a 13 percentage point decrease, so, that feels somewhat significant.
The problem is that the Mariners were right on the bubble at the beginning of the season. With a small chance to beat out the Astros for the division and some close competition for the wild card there's not much room for error. They're already 3 wins behind their expectation that could certainly be enough to keep them out of the playoffs.

The Mets and Jays are in a similar situation.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:16 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,935 times
It's looking like it's gonna be a tough season for the Mariners so far.

Of course, as frustrating as it can be, I've kind of come to accept that it's part of being an M's fan.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,954,081 times
The locker room feels like an airport with all the trades the GM makes.
I'm rooting for Charlie Sheen and the Indians again.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times
The lineup is strong, but there appears to be no defensive play to any extent. Pitching and making plays on that side is woefully not up to speed. I will continue to be a fan and watch most of every game, but these problems are terribly observable.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-09-2017 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 02:37 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
you always have to wait til Memorial day but clearly winning needs to start or else there won't be anything to cheer for after memorial day. Starting pitching looks promising which is most vital to winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball