Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM

78,612 posts, read 60,797,576 times

Advertisements

I was shocked at all the PED users on there...and they just keep on happening.

Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez and Baseball MVPs Who Used Steroids or Other PEDs (Alleged, Suspected or Confirmed) | SPORTS LIST OF THE DAY

And those are just the ones with pretty good evidence of use.

How many others have just flown under the radar?

Oh well, baseball.......continuing to slide slide slide......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,332,636 times
Put Pete Rose in the HOF!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,177,657 times
It is manifest that Barry Bonds was a PEDs user, but what is also known is that he did not begin using them until after the 1998 season, his reaaction to seeing McGwire and Sosa win such fame for their home run chase that season. The linked list includes the three MVP awards he won before he started using and they should not be counted.

I made up this same sort of list a couple of years ago and posted it on these boards. the standards I employed for identifying the PEDs people were:
A) Failed test
B) Confession
C) Caught by means other than testing
D) Named by Jose Canseco in one of his books.

My list came out the same as the one you see in the link, except that I did not include Bagwell because he does not qualify under any of those standards.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,265,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It is manifest that Barry Bonds was a PEDs user, but what is also known is that he did not begin using them until after the 1998 seasons.
That's surprising because he sure went from a lean, wiry guy to Mr. Bloat in a hurry.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
That's surprising because he sure went from a lean, wiry guy to Mr. Bloat in a hurry.
Why is that surprising? The sudden changes in appearance is characteristic of a PEDs user. Bonds looked like he always had until he showed up suddenly Super Sized for Spring Training in '99. We Giants fans didn't suspect steroids at the time, but wondered why Bonds' facial skin seemed to have turned grey during the off season.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,265,457 times
Quote:
Bonds looked like he always had until he showed up suddenly Super Sized for Spring Training in '99.
My point exactly. From my observations, the increased size of users has been a little more gradual. Bonds was suddenly the Michelin tire man in less than a year.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,046,975 times
Quote:
Why is that surprising? The sudden changes in appearance is characteristic of a PEDs user. Bonds looked like he always had until he showed up suddenly Super Sized for Spring Training in '99. We Giants fans didn't suspect steroids at the time, but wondered why Bonds' facial skin seemed to have turned grey during the off season.
Absolutely!

As a Cubs fan, I was shocked when skinny, wiry Sammy Sosa showed up one year with biceps so big they were busting seams on his jersey sleeves!

Ultimately I do think the truth may reveal that there were a LOT more users than your criteria (which is a good set of criteria) will likely finger.

I have some suspicions of others as well, based on freak, strange, or frequent injuries as I suspect the PED's will lead to that sort of thing. Such as Nomar Garciaparra who just physically went to pieces (his torn groin was sure a strange one). Also Griffey Jr, often pointed to someone who "did it right" certainly grew significantly larger over his career and once he landed in Cincinnati, just could not stay on the field with all sorts of freak injuries as well.

Ironically too, most pitchers have flown under the radar and escaped scrutiny (Clemens as an exception). Yet, I doubt the pitchers stood by idle watching the big boppers bulk up without seeking their own advantage.

Ultimately I guess it is the star players who have paid the public relations price for what likely was all over the place in the end.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Absolutely!

As a Cubs fan, I was shocked when skinny, wiry Sammy Sosa showed up one year with biceps so big they were busting seams on his jersey sleeves!

Ultimately I do think the truth may reveal that there were a LOT more users than your criteria (which is a good set of criteria) will likely finger.

I have some suspicions of others as well, based on freak, strange, or frequent injuries as I suspect the PED's will lead to that sort of thing. Such as Nomar Garciaparra who just physically went to pieces (his torn groin was sure a strange one). Also Griffey Jr, often pointed to someone who "did it right" certainly grew significantly larger over his career and once he landed in Cincinnati, just could not stay on the field with all sorts of freak injuries as well.

Ironically too, most pitchers have flown under the radar and escaped scrutiny (Clemens as an exception). Yet, I doubt the pitchers stood by idle watching the big boppers bulk up without seeking their own advantage.

Ultimately I guess it is the star players who have paid the public relations price for what likely was all over the place in the end.
Apart from the standards on my criteria list, we have suspicion, but are absent proof or strong evidence. I suspect Andres Galarraga because his head swelled up to the size of a Macy's Parade balloon, but those are my only grounds. I suspect Luis Gonzales because of the inexplicable surge in his batting stats which began in 2001. Everyone sorta assumes that Brady Anderson used PEDs to fuel his 50 home run season, same deal with Greg Vaughn. Shawn Green is another stat outlier suspect.

But..suspicion isn't enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball