Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city can support it?
Montreal 16 20.25%
Portland 22 27.85%
San Antonio 12 15.19%
Charlotte 28 35.44%
Albuquerque 1 1.27%
Salt Lake City 3 3.80%
Las Vegas 10 12.66%
(Other) Write in comments 8 10.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
If the Rays are moving, they should stay in Florida. Jacksonville would be the best spot since they already have the Suns and their ballpark; it could just be upgraded to MLB standards.
If MLB wouldn't work in Tampa, it most definitely wouldn't work in Jacksonville. Too small of a market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
More than Charlotte, San Antonio, and Montreal...?
I don't think Montreal wants it. I think Portland would get it over San Antonio and Charlotte though.

Portland and Sacramento are two candidates. What hurts Sacramento is the fact there are two teams right down the road from there. I don't know if Charlotte's market is big enough just yet to support three teams. They do have the corporate presence to support it though.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:22 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think Montreal wants it. I think Portland would get it over San Antonio and Charlotte though.

Portland and Sacramento are two candidates. What hurts Sacramento is the fact there are two teams right down the road from there. I don't know if Charlotte's market is big enough just yet to support three teams. They do have the corporate presence to support it though.
Sacramento will never get a major league team here. There is no corporate base and the city just spent $477 million on an arena. Unless it gets privately financed, there is no way MLB comes here.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento will never get a major league team here. There is no corporate base and the city just spent $477 million on an arena. Unless it gets privately financed, there is no way MLB comes here.
Not a surprise. Forgot about the arena thing too. In that case, you're right. They will never get a team.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:

And the fact that there are like a million teams in Cali, already...

Old 11-19-2014, 07:29 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And the fact that there are like a million teams in Cali, already...
There are 5 teams.
And don't call California "Cali". Cali is a city in Colombia

Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There are 5 teams.
And don't call California "Cali". Cali is a city in Colombia
Gee... you don't say...

Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM

406 posts, read 486,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Keep in mind also that urban area is much more tightly defined geographically than metro and especially media market. Urban area is where any club will get the bulk of its fan base, but Charlotte can play off a much larger metro and media market footprint than cities like Baltimore can. There are a lot of semi-large metros within abt 90 minutes that nicely ring the area (Greenville SC, Spartanburg, Greensboro, etc.).

The only external hurdle for MLB that I can see over the next 10-15 years is probably MLS. That's been gaining a lot of traction over the last 10 years and investors have been bidding up franchise values, so it's clearly seen as desirable. It has lower startup and operating costs and is growing at a faster clip because it's not mature. 10-15 years ago many had doubts the league would be viable in the long term. Now it is probably the a fringe top 10 league in the world in terms of top to bottom talent and finances. It's not going to be a top 5 soccer league anytime soon, but I could see it moving up to top 6-7 status and being a much bigger deal by the time Charlotte is MLB ready. It could also fit on the current site of the Knights ballpark and probably re-use a decent chunk of it.

NC seems to have taken to soccer too. More up around the Research Triangle (where I ultimately expect an MLS team to go), but I could see Charlotte in that mix if Raleigh-Durham doesn't work out. Especially considering MLS' desire to "round out" their geographic footprint. They'll have DAL, HOU, MIA, ORL, ATL soon, but a big gaping hole in the Carolinas with the closest teams further north in Columbus OH and DC.
Not necessarily, the Baltimore Orioles currently own the cable channel for both the Orioles and Washington Nationals. Combined, the Baltimore/Washington area is one of the largest media markets in the country.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Quote:
If MLB wouldn't work in Tampa, it most definitely wouldn't work in Jacksonville. Too small of a market.
Then how does it work in Milwaukee? They have the 8th best attendance in the league. It's not about market size; Tampa just doesn't support their team.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
I honestly think Montreal is going to get the Expos back first.

Let me ask you guys a question: do most of you guys even watch baseball? Would you go to a game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball