Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 12:06 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times

Advertisements

Padres 4 @ Giants 2.

Brandon Belt and Darin Ruf each had 1 out singles in the 1st, but the inning ended with a Joc Pederson strikeout and Brandon Crawford pop out. Jake Cronenworth started the second with a single, Luke Voit was hit by a pitch, a ground out moved each runner up but Eric Hosmer and Jurickson Profar each struck out. Thairo Estrada started the bottom half with a single, Joey Bart followed with a double, and 2 batters later Mauricio Dubon put the Giants up 1-0 with a sac fly. Belt started the 3rd with a double, moved to 3rd on a Ruf fly out, Pederson was hit by a pitch, but the Pads ended the inning getting Crawford to hit into a double play. Manny Machado singled to lead off the 4th, 2 batters later Voit singled, Machado moved to 3rd on a Wil Myers fly out, Hosmer walked to load the bases, Profar reached on an infield single to tie it, but Ha-Seong Kim lined out to end the inning, but they would take the lead in the next inning on an Austin Nola home run. Hosmer doubled with 2 outs in the 6th, but Profar ended the inning with a ground out. Pederson and Crawford each had singles to begin the 6th, a double play moved Pederson to 3rd before a wild pitch from Steven Wilson scored Pederson to tie things at 2. Kim reached on an infield single to start the 7th, Trent Grisham had a bunt single back to the pitcher, Kim moved to 3rd on a fly out, and Machado out the Pads in front for good with a ground out back to the pitcher that might have been an inning-ending double play if it wasn’t bobbled by Tyler Rogers, and Cronenworth ended the inning with a strikeout. Crawford singled with 1 out in the 8th, following a force play, Bart and Steven Dugger walked to load the bases before Pierce Johnson struck out Dubon. Grisham walked with 1 out in the 9th, Machado had a 2 out walk, Cronenworth followed with an RBI single to put the Pads up 4-2, Voit walked to load the bases before Myers lined out to load the bases. Belt singled with 1 out in the bottom half, moved to second on defensive indifference, but Ruf & Heliot Ranos struck out to end the game. Nick Martinez allowed 1 run on 5 hits with 1 walk (1 hit batter) and 6 strikeouts, Wilson (2-0, 1st blown save) allowed 1 run on 2 hits with a walk and a strikeout, Craig Stammen (1st hold) allowed 1 hit in a scoreless inning, Johnson (3rd hold) had 1 hit, 2 walks and 2 strikeouts in a scoreless inning, and Taylor Rogers (3rd save) had 2 strikeouts and 1 hit allowed in a scoreless inning. Alex Wood allowed 2 runs on 5 hits (1 home run) with a walk, hit batter, and 6 strikeouts in 4.1, and Ty. Rogers (0-1) allowed 1 run on 2 hits with a strikeout in 1 inning.

The series continues on Tuesday; Pads give the ball to their opening day starter Yu Darvish (0-0, 0.00) while the Giants give the ball to Alex Cobb (8-3, 3.76 last year with the Angels) making his first start as a member of the National League after having spent his entire career in the AL (Tampa, Baltimore, and last year Anaheim) with game time slated for 9:45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 09:28 PM

Default 4-3

Welp, the final 2 games in San Francisco didn't go well. It's never good when the opponents leadoff hitter bats for the 3rd time to begin the 3rd inning but that's what happened with the Giants as they went through the lineup 2 times in the first 2 innings scoring 10 runs combined. It's also never good when a position player ends the night on the mound pitching which is what happened to the Padres & Wil Myers. When you combine the 2 it's REALLY not a good night as the Pads were the bug in a 13-2 pounding. They lost the rubber game on Wednesday as Logan Webb allowed only 1 run on 4 hits in 8 innings. In other west action from this week; the Rockies swept 2 games in Texas, the Dodgers won 2 games in Minnesota, and the D'Backs and Astros split 2 games in Phoenix. Rockies are in first at 4-1 a half game up on the 4-2 Giants, Dodgers (3-2) and Padres are tied at 1 back, and the D'Backs are 2.5 back at 2-4. Home opener against the World Series champion Braves starts on Thursday, the first of 4 games. Joe Musgrove gets the ball in the opener and he'll be followed in the rotation by a starter TBD Friday, Nick Martinez Saturday and Yu darvish on Sunday. Braves counter with Charlie Morton in the opener, Kyle Wright Friday, Ian Anderson Saturday, and Huascar Ynoa on Sunday. 8:10 start on Thursday, 9:40 on Friday, 4:05 on Saturday, and 7:08 on Sunday.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:04 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
My prediction for the Padres, is that they'll end up a .500 club, again. 3rd in the division.

They'll watch the post season, on TV.

What is it that fans chant by the All Star break?

"Oh well, there's always next year!"

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 04-15-2022 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 04-18-2022, 02:24 PM

Split a pair with the Braves. Hitting with RISP in the Sunday game was abysmal. They drew like 8 walks in the game, plus had a hit by pitch but only scored 2 runs. CJ Abrams had his first home run I believe on Saturday, and Gore looked good in his debut on Friday. 3 vs. Cincinnati starting tonight, and than the Dodgers come in over the weekend for 3. Looks like they'll miss Reds fireballer Hunter Greene in this series as I believe he started Saturday nights game.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:10 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
My prediction for the Padres, is that they'll end up a .500 club, again. 3rd in the division.

They'll watch the post season, on TV.

What is it that fans chant by the All Star break?

"Oh well, there's always next year!"
The NL West is brutal. There are 4 teams in the NL with better records than the Padres. Three are in the NL West.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The NL West is brutal. There are 4 teams in the NL with better records than the Padres. Three are in the NL West.

I don't think the Rockies will hold up the whole year, so I think the Pads will still be in decent shape especially with the expanded playoffs.

NL Central stinks, so it might be difficult to get a second team out of there, and the Mets are running away in the NL East, so that might be another 1 & done division since all others are currently sub .500. So, even a 4th place division finish might be enough for that extra spot. The AL East would have gotten 4 teams last year if the 3 Wildcards were in play for last season, so that wouldn't be unprecedented getting 4 from 1 division.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I don't think the Rockies will hold up the whole year, so I think the Pads will still be in decent shape especially with the expanded playoffs.

NL Central stinks, so it might be difficult to get a second team out of there, and the Mets are running away in the NL East, so that might be another 1 & done division since all others are currently sub .500. So, even a 4th place division finish might be enough for that extra spot. The AL East would have gotten 4 teams last year if the 3 Wildcards were in play for last season, so that wouldn't be unprecedented getting 4 from 1 division.
I agree the Rockies will probably not play like this all season. Of course I thought the same thing about the Giants last year.

I did not realize they expanded to 12 teams. I still don't like the setup. Looks like the division winner with the 2nd best record among the three division winners but having a much worse record than the 2nd or 3rd place team in the NL West would avoid the first round. Should be 1 vs 6, 2 vs 5 etc. Like the NBA. Or at least the top two teams get a bye regardless of division.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:55 PM

Welp, the mad scientist AJ Preller delivers again. First of all, credit to Joe Musgrove for making this all happen too BTW; He would've easily made a lot more than $100/5 if he hit the open market this winter, but took the hometown discount to better the Pads financially in 2023. So, with that squared away, Monday he swapped out Taylor Rogers and prospects with the Brewers Josh Hader, and then today swooped in on the Nats for Juan Soto and Josh Bell for 5 players, four first round picks.

The problem they have now is that they've thrown their chips all in for a title in 2022/23. Hader & Soto next year will make about $40 million if not closer to $50 million combined in arbitration. Musgrove will be taking home $20 million. I believe Drew Pomeranz is still on the payroll for about $16 or $17 million next year. They have to pay down most of Hosmer's contract in Boston. Machado & Tatis are both big payroll expenses. I know San Diego is a better town now with the only game in town, but that's still a lot of money to pay for about 7 players when you have to fill out a roster of 26. They'll get some relief: like Myers off the book this year for example, and I believe Machado has an opt out after '23 or '24, so that's a potential cost-savings as well. These trades have also completed decimated the farm system, so I guess if it falls flat in '23 or even another second half swoon in '22 they can try to trade these same guys they picked up this week to see if they recoup some lost value.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:45 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Welp, the mad scientist AJ Preller delivers again. First of all, credit to Joe Musgrove for making this all happen too BTW; He would've easily made a lot more than $100/5 if he hit the open market this winter, but took the hometown discount to better the Pads financially in 2023. So, with that squared away, Monday he swapped out Taylor Rogers and prospects with the Brewers Josh Hader, and then today swooped in on the Nats for Juan Soto and Josh Bell for 5 players, four first round picks.

The problem they have now is that they've thrown their chips all in for a title in 2022/23. Hader & Soto next year will make about $40 million if not closer to $50 million combined in arbitration. Musgrove will be taking home $20 million. I believe Drew Pomeranz is still on the payroll for about $16 or $17 million next year. They have to pay down most of Hosmer's contract in Boston. Machado & Tatis are both big payroll expenses. I know San Diego is a better town now with the only game in town, but that's still a lot of money to pay for about 7 players when you have to fill out a roster of 26. They'll get some relief: like Myers off the book this year for example, and I believe Machado has an opt out after '23 or '24, so that's a potential cost-savings as well. These trades have also completed decimated the farm system, so I guess if it falls flat in '23 or even another second half swoon in '22 they can try to trade these same guys they picked up this week to see if they recoup some lost value.
And then they get swept in LA. Granted they probably need to have the mindset of getting players rested once they feel good about the WC position. Anything can happen in a short series and Snell, Darvish and Musgrove could step up big. I know Snell has been pitching better as of late.

But I think you're right. You don't win in 22 or 23 the next 5-10 years could be bad. I also think Machado OPT's out and honestly that might be a blessing long term.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:31 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Fernando Tatis, Jr has been suspended for 80 games for violating MLB’s PED policy. He will sit out the remainder of this season and the beginning of next after testing positive for Clostebol, a banned substance.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball