Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 08:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,852,304 times

Advertisements

I have some questions as to how MLB schedules NL-AL interleague scheduling:

• I know that intracity (intrametro) rivals play each other 6 times (2 home-&-home series) so that would take care of Cubs-Sox, Yanks-Mets, Giants-A's, Dodgers-Angels, and O's-Nats.

• does the same scheduling (6 games) apply to intrastate scheduling (Indians-Reds, Cards-Royals, Marlins-Rays)???

• how is scheduling arranged for teams without a natural rival in the other league? i'm thinking of Red Sox, Mariners, Rockies, D'backs, Brewers, Twins, Blue Jays, etc. I know they can create some so-called rivalries (Twins vs. Brewers comes to mind), but do these actually get set up?

• I also know that each team schedules another division in opposite league for 3 games each. How does this differ from when a team plays the division of its rival in the opposite league. for example, how are the Cubs scheduled in years when the AL Central is on their schedule compared to years when it is not? I know when it is not, the Cubs still play two 2 series vs. the Sox.

• so what exactly is the total number of interleague series scheduled? Does a team like the Cubs only schedule 4 rivals in the division in other league it plays because it has 2 series against the White Sox? Or does it schedule all of them plus those two series with the White Sox? So are the Cubs playing 7 interleague series (all five members of the other league scheduled plus the two with the Sox) or do the Cubs schedule 6 interleague series (4 of the 5 members of the opposite division plus the 2 series with the Sox)? I'm assuming 6 series for everybody since mathematically this is the only way to work it out…..right?

goofy questions, perhaps, and rather confusing….just wondering if anyone knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,086,704 times
Well, given the fact that both leagues now have 15 teams, there is an interleague game at all times, so the old interleague scheduling is thrown out the window. They do still do rival matchups, or created rivalry matchups, but a team from the NL is playing a team from the AL at all times, due to uneven amount of teams in each league.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,168,952 times
I could not tell you how it happened, but one result of the alteration in interleague scheduling has been to make it more difficult for cities with two teams to arrange their games so that when one team is home, the other is on the road.

At least that is how it has been working out for the two Bay Area teams. It used to be very rare, typically once a season or so, when the Giants and A's would both be playing at home at the same time. Since they started the new interleague schedule, the two teams now find themselves either both at home or both on the road at the same time 3 or 4 times a year.

It must be a nightmare making up the schedule each year. They have to consider the four cities with two teams, they have to worry about scheduling opposite football games in the late part of the season, and basketball/hockey at the beginning. The stadiums will sometimes get booked for special events and the schedule makers have to work around that. They have to try and arrange road trips so that teams from one coast may play several series on the opposite coast on the same road trip, they have to leave room for make up games...ding dang difficult, I wouldn't want to be the person in charge.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM

9,777 posts, read 7,499,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I have some questions as to how MLB schedules NL-AL interleague scheduling:

• I know that intracity (intrametro) rivals play each other 6 times (2 home-&-home series) so that would take care of Cubs-Sox, Yanks-Mets, Giants-A's, Dodgers-Angels, and O's-Nats.

• does the same scheduling (6 games) apply to intrastate scheduling (Indians-Reds, Cards-Royals, Marlins-Rays)???.
The natural rivalries which never change (as far as I can tell):
Orioles-Nats, Yankees-Mets, Rays-Marlins, Cubs-White Sox, Reds-Indians, Brewers-Twins, Cards-Royals, Pirates-Tigers, Dodgers-Angels, Giants-A's. Those 10 series will always happen twice a season. I thought the Mariners/Pads were apart of that list as well, but this year they only played the 2 game home-and-home series, not the 3 game home-and-home series like those other natural rivals played. The other 10 teams (Braves, Phillies, Red Sox, Jays, Rangers, Astros, Mariners, Padres, Rockies & D'Backs) will go into a pool which rotates. Some of them will be matched up for the 3 game home-and-home series: this year those matchups are: Red Sox-Phillies, Jays-Braves, Mariners-Rockies, Rangers-Padres & Astros-D'Backs.

Quote:
• does the same scheduling (6 games) apply to intrastate scheduling (Indians-Reds, Cards-Royals, Marlins-Rays)???

• how is scheduling arranged for teams without a natural rival in the other league? i'm thinking of Red Sox, Mariners, Rockies, D'backs, Brewers, Twins, Blue Jays, etc. I know they can create some so-called rivalries (Twins vs. Brewers comes to mind), but do these actually get set up?
See above for the last 2.

Quote:
I also know that each team schedules another division in opposite league for 3 games each. How does this differ from when a team plays the division of its rival in the opposite league. for example, how are the Cubs scheduled in years when the AL Central is on their schedule compared to years when it is not? I know when it is not, the Cubs still play two 2 series vs. the Sox.
In years where the Central doesn't play the Central, the Cubs would play 2 games @ the White Sox and 2 games home vs. the White Sox. Those would happen during the same week.

Quote:
so what exactly is the total number of interleague series scheduled? Does a team like the Cubs only schedule 4 rivals in the division in other league it plays because it has 2 series against the White Sox? Or does it schedule all of them plus those two series with the White Sox? So are the Cubs playing 7 interleague series (all five members of the other league scheduled plus the two with the Sox) or do the Cubs schedule 6 interleague series (4 of the 5 members of the opposite division plus the 2 series with the Sox)? I'm assuming 6 series for everybody since mathematically this is the only way to work it out…..right?
This year was a little different then the last 2 years, but the number of series and games were the same. This year: played 6 games against your "rival" (3 home, 3 away). Those "rivalries" were listed above. You played 4 games against another team in your AL counterpart's league (2 home 2 away NOT during the same week). For the Cubs this year that was the Tigers. You also played 4 games against another team in your AL counterpart's league; what's different here is that these were played during the same week (2 home, 2 away during the same week). For the Cubs this year that was the Indians. For the final 6 games you played 3 games on the road against a team from your AL counterpart's league (that was the Twins this year), and than 3 games at home against your AL counterpart's league (Royals in this case). In 2015 that was 8 series (including splitting the weekly series which MLB counted as 2 different series) and 20 games.
In 2013-14 and broke down as follows (and I'm using the Nats schedule here because it's the only one I remember, but every team had the same schedule anyways). You played 4 games against your "rival" (2 home, 2 away during the same week. Those are highlighted above). You played 4 games against a team from the other league (2 home, 2 away). In 2013 this was the Tigers (Central) and in 2014 was the Astros (west). You played 6 games at home against a team from the other league (3 games each). 2013 was the White Sox & Twins (Central), while 2014 they played the Rangers & Angels (west) at home. The final 6 games were against a team from the other league on the road (3 games each). 2013 had the Nats in KC to play the Royals, and in Cleveland to play the Twins (Central), while in 2014 they played @ the A's and @ the Mariners (West). This also broke down to 8 series and 20 games.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be the schedule maker. Not only for the interleague matchups, having 19 divisional games but then there's also this to take into account:
1) The Nationals are always at home on July 4, playing an 11:05 AM game; also the Red Sox are always at home Patriots day (2nd or 3rd Monday in April) for an 11:05 AM game.
2) It's not always the case, but they try to put the Jays in Toronto for Victoria day (3rd Monday in May), Canada Day (July 1), and the bank holiday (first Monday in August). I believe they hit on all 3 this year for the first time in a while
3) The team hosting the All Star game must have a road series in the final weekend heading into the All Star Break
4) No team can have a home series heading into the All Star Break, and the series coming out of the All Star Break; likewise no team can play a road series heading into the All Star break, and a road series heading out of the All star break.
5) Like number 2, this isn't always the case as well but for New York & Chicago they try to not have 2 teams both playing at home at the same time or 2 teams on the road at the same time, but obviously with all of the logistics in place you'll see the Cubs & White Sox or Mets & Yankees each have a couple times a season when both are playing at home or both on the road.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The natural rivalries which never change (as far as I can tell):
Orioles-Nats, Yankees-Mets, Rays-Marlins, Cubs-White Sox, Reds-Indians, Brewers-Twins, Cards-Royals, Pirates-Tigers, Dodgers-Angels, Giants-A's. Those 10 series will always happen twice a season. I thought the Mariners/Pads were apart of that list as well, but this year they only played the 2 game home-and-home series, not the 3 game home-and-home series like those other natural rivals played. The other 10 teams (Braves, Phillies, Red Sox, Jays, Rangers, Astros, Mariners, Padres, Rockies & D'Backs) will go into a pool which rotates. Some of them will be matched up for the 3 game home-and-home series: this year those matchups are: Red Sox-Phillies, Jays-Braves, Mariners-Rockies, Rangers-Padres & Astros-D'Backs.

See above for the last 2.

In years where the Central doesn't play the Central, the Cubs would play 2 games @ the White Sox and 2 games home vs. the White Sox. Those would happen during the same week.

This year was a little different then the last 2 years, but the number of series and games were the same. This year: played 6 games against your "rival" (3 home, 3 away). Those "rivalries" were listed above. You played 4 games against another team in your AL counterpart's league (2 home 2 away NOT during the same week). For the Cubs this year that was the Tigers. You also played 4 games against another team in your AL counterpart's league; what's different here is that these were played during the same week (2 home, 2 away during the same week). For the Cubs this year that was the Indians. For the final 6 games you played 3 games on the road against a team from your AL counterpart's league (that was the Twins this year), and than 3 games at home against your AL counterpart's league (Royals in this case). In 2015 that was 8 series (including splitting the weekly series which MLB counted as 2 different series) and 20 games.
In 2013-14 and broke down as follows (and I'm using the Nats schedule here because it's the only one I remember, but every team had the same schedule anyways). You played 4 games against your "rival" (2 home, 2 away during the same week. Those are highlighted above). You played 4 games against a team from the other league (2 home, 2 away). In 2013 this was the Tigers (Central) and in 2014 was the Astros (west). You played 6 games at home against a team from the other league (3 games each). 2013 was the White Sox & Twins (Central), while 2014 they played the Rangers & Angels (west) at home. The final 6 games were against a team from the other league on the road (3 games each). 2013 had the Nats in KC to play the Royals, and in Cleveland to play the Twins (Central), while in 2014 they played @ the A's and @ the Mariners (West). This also broke down to 8 series and 20 games.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be the schedule maker. Not only for the interleague matchups, having 19 divisional games but then there's also this to take into account:
1) The Nationals are always at home on July 4, playing an 11:05 AM game; also the Red Sox are always at home Patriots day (2nd or 3rd Monday in April) for an 11:05 AM game.
2) It's not always the case, but they try to put the Jays in Toronto for Victoria day (3rd Monday in May), Canada Day (July 1), and the bank holiday (first Monday in August). I believe they hit on all 3 this year for the first time in a while
3) The team hosting the All Star game must have a road series in the final weekend heading into the All Star Break
4) No team can have a home series heading into the All Star Break, and the series coming out of the All Star Break; likewise no team can play a road series heading into the All Star break, and a road series heading out of the All star break.
5) Like number 2, this isn't always the case as well but for New York & Chicago they try to not have 2 teams both playing at home at the same time or 2 teams on the road at the same time, but obviously with all of the logistics in place you'll see the Cubs & White Sox or Mets & Yankees each have a couple times a season when both are playing at home or both on the road.
thanks for such a thorough answer. i sort of suspected that the number of rivalry games differed depending on the divisions being matched.

so it looks like once every 3 years, you get the following match ups: NL/E vs. AL/E, NL/C vs. AL/C, & NL/W vs. AL/W…..thus you get 6 games (in home and home series) for Cubs-Sox, Yanks-Mets, Giants-A's, Dodgers-Angels, O's-Nats (and probably the majority of other rivalry series.

then the next two years revert back to that 2/2 back-to-back set up.

personally i preferred the old system where you had two 3 game series against your rival every year, but i guess that one was put to rest when the leagues went from 2 to 3 divisions.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
but obviously with all of the logistics in place you'll see the Cubs & White Sox or Mets & Yankees each have a couple times a season when both are playing at home or both on the road.
i could see some good coming out of this. if i were an out-of-town fan and I was going to NY, Chi, LA, or Bay, I might enjoy taking in 2 games on my trip, hitting both the NL and AL team.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,086,704 times
Quote:
personally i preferred the old system where you had two 3 game series against your rival every year, but i guess that one was put to rest when the leagues went from 2 to 3 divisions.
There was no interleague play when there were only 2 divisions. The change that you are speaking of came to fruition when the Astros switched from the NL to the AL, bringing the swing from 16-14 (NL-AL) to 15-15 and thus making interleague a scheduling necessity rather than a publicity thing.

Divisions switched from 2 to 3 in 1994 and interleague play started in 1997.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
There was no interleague play when there were only 2 divisions. The change that you are speaking of came to fruition when the Astros switched from the NL to the AL, bringing the swing from 16-14 (NL-AL) to 15-15 and thus making interleague a scheduling necessity rather than a publicity thing.

Divisions switched from 2 to 3 in 1994 and interleague play started in 1997.
of course you're right….i forgot that middle step of 3 divisions (5-5-4, 6-5-5)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball