Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 04:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think the personalities were better in the 80's and 90's.

-Someone like Cal Ripken was a legend. Remember his 2,130 game consecutive streak that broke Lou Gehrigs record? The steroid era really hurt baseball. McGwire, Sosa and others tarnished the game.

Kids use to look up to Ken Griffey Jr among others. I think yakees dominance in the 2000's hasn't helped. Many are tired of the yankee and red sox dominance.

I think there is also more competition from other sports that you didn't have in the 80's and 90's. For example, Ronda Rousey has gotten a lot of press coverage lately. 20 or 25 years ago, that would have gone to David Justice, Don Mattingly, Nolan Ryan?
Ronda Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:03 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Thankfully, baseball players aren't involved in the same idiocy as other sports. There is no MLB version of Johnny Manziel, or Ray Lewis, or Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson for example.
Babe Ruth was rumored to be a pretty wild guy. Good thing for him there was no social media at the time.

Baseball players may be just as wild. I know the New York media used to cover Jeter's exploits quite a bit during the 90s/early 00s. But he was really the only household name in the sport.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
As criteria you've looked at Google search data, Twitter followers and endorsement deals. It should be no surprise that athletes with a more global reach lead, by leaps and bounds, in all categories.
I would say basketball players are more popular than baseball players domestically as well as internationally. The gap has only gotten bigger in recent years.

Anybody remember this commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxTntgDZVo

Old 03-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Baseball's equivalent of Space Jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heoa-AI42bA

Old 03-27-2016, 01:12 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Baseball, in particular, has a much stronger sense of historical context than most "marketable" sports; I wonder how many of the basketball aficionados here would recall Elgin Baylor, Bob Pettit, or some of the other stars of the 8-team NBA which existed when I was a subteen -- yet Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron date from the same era.

It's a harmless variation due to a constantly-changing culture; nothing more.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-27-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Baseball, in particular, has a much stronger sense of historical context than most "marketable" sports; I wonder how many of the basketball aficionados here would recall Elgin Baylor, Bob Pettit, or some of the other stars of the 8-team NBA which existed when I was a subteen -- yet Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron date from the same era.

It's a harmless variation due to a constantly-changing culture; nothing more.
Uh, guys like Russell, Cousy, West and Chamberlain get brought up all the time in the basketball forum. I wouldn't say it's any weaker in basketball. The biggest difference is that MLB is an older league than the NBA. Nobody talks about NBA players from the 20s because there was no NBA then.

I'd say NFL is the same way. Johnny Unitas, Dick Butkus, Jim Brown, etc. There are a lot of hard core football fans out there who can name entire team rosters from the 40s and 50s. Football fans, on average, tend to be much more fanatical about these things, imo.

And of course, don't get me started on "futbol" with diehard Brazil or Manchester United fans.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Ronda Who?
Easily the most famous and talked about athlete in the US in the last couple of years.

The poster you quoted made an excellent point. There's many more stars, outside of baseball, getting attention than at any time in the history of pro sports in the US.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:12 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Easily the most famous and talked about athlete in the US in the last couple of years.

The poster you quoted made an excellent point. There's many more stars, outside of baseball, getting attention than at any time in the history of pro sports in the US.
Ok. I understand the point, but I had never heard of her before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball