Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 09:22 PM

660 posts, read 654,647 times

Advertisements

Twins LOL. Bases loaded no outs in the bottom of the 9th and could not score a single run. How did these Twins win 83 games last season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 PM

9,702 posts, read 7,371,414 times
I've had the same thing happen to me in New York too.

ESPN and even MLB network would have a Yankees/Mets game on, and I'd have the same game on on my local channels. In MLB Network's case, the feed is usually from YES or SNY which I have on my own cable provider anyways.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:59 PM

9,702 posts, read 7,371,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Runner View Post
Twins LOL. Bases loaded no outs in the bottom of the 9th and could not score a single run. How did these Twins win 83 games last season?

Because maybe they lucked out. Remember how awful the AL Central was last year?? The Royals basically had the division sewn up at the All Star Break, that's how putrid that division was. This year the White Sox aren't leading the league in bullpen era or errors anymore like they did last year, and the Indians have gotten great starting pitching which they didn't get last year. I think the Twins lucked out to 83 wins by the division being subpar, and now that's its back to normal, we've come to find out that the '15 Twins were a not so good team taking advantage of a crappy division, and playing me for a fool this year.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:12 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Runner View Post
The 2015 Twins offense exceeded what their total production should have been. While they finished 13th in the AL in OPS, they finished 8th in runs scored. Whether that was clutch hitting, or good luck, it isn't the sort of thing that is sustainable. The offense was weaker than it appeared. Their pitchers were 10th in ERA, but a red flag for their future was that they were dead last in strikeouts. They were also the easiest team to steal against, by a lot. They allowed the most stolen bases and caught the fewest runners, only 19%.

This season they are still the worst team in the AL in preventing stolen bases (improved to 20%), but they are dead last in scoring and dead last in preventing the opposition from scoring.

However, having said that they were not as good as they seemed in 2015, their collapse here in 2016 is far worse than what the red flags would have suggested. They are a bad team, you don't need advanced metrics to see that. They are losing because all the other teams have better players.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,613 times
As a Pirates fan it pains me somewhat to say this, but at some point a guy like Arquimedes Caminero has to be considered a lethal weapon that should not be allowed to play in MLB. He's Ryne Duran without the coke bottle glasses. Throws almost as hard as Chapman with no idea where the ball is going. Last night he hit two batters in the head. Unlike a Jake Arrieta, who, when he throws at your head, you pretty much know he's throwing at your head, Caminero just can't help it. He has no control. His BB rate is 6.75/9. When you add HBP to that, the rate increases to 8.3/9.

I'm dreading tonight's game as I can't see the DBacks not throwing at Pirates hitters with intent to maim. And Rubby de la Rosa isn't a soft tosser.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,447,036 times
Ryne Duren - Classic! I liked when he would step towards the plate, remove his glasses and squint in.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM

52,587 posts, read 47,751,190 times
So far for the Baltimore Orioles: 18 errors going into tonight, the fewest errors in the league.

Tonight against my Astros: Baltimore has 3 errors. And the game is just in the fourth inning.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,951,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
So far for the Baltimore Orioles: 18 errors going into tonight, the fewest errors in the league.

Tonight against my Astros: Baltimore has 3 errors. And the game is just in the fourth inning.
The most incredible part of that is that the O's have been playing Pedro Alvarez at 3b and he has yet to throw one into the stands.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Record for the most K's in a 3-game series broken easily by the Astros against the Orioles...52. The record was 47 set earlier this year.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:10 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,447,036 times
The Phillies are falling apart ... I still say .500 is the goal and would be a huge step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball