Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:38 AM

138 posts, read 116,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think the division biased schedule is a strength of baseball. It makes their divisions and playoff races real. To win your division, you really have to beat the teams in your division to legitimize your division title. Even the wild card race has elements of this league wide, giving some legitimacy to more games against teams in your own league.
This is what I think is most important. The weighted divisions best fit baseball's playoff format. I also would like to see interleague play removed, partly because I hate watching the DH but also because those games feel so unimportant when you have two teams that are competing toward different and unrelated objectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 AM

270 posts, read 327,301 times
I liked when there was that one (?) week of interleague play around the time of the All-Star Game. A few novelty games, then back to business. This constant interleague play of recent years makes for a lot of meaningless matchups and erodes the specialness of the World Series.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 AM

9,797 posts, read 7,528,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
I liked when there was that one (?) week of interleague play around the time of the All-Star Game. A few novelty games, then back to business. This constant interleague play of recent years makes for a lot of meaningless matchups and erodes the specialness of the World Series.

I agree. Unfortunately we are stuck with this for a while unless we get 2 expansion teams and go to the NFL's 4 divisions of 4 teams in each league. That way we have an equal number of teams in each league that's also an even number. You can also contract 2 teams and get to the 28 that way but I think expansion is slightly more likely to happen than contraction is. If we go back to the pre 2013 days when the Astros were in the NL, than the AL would have 14 teams (and 1 division of 4 teams) and the NL would have 16 teams (and 1 division of 6 teams). If you keep the 15 & 15 than you are either forced to have an interleague series every series OR have a team get a bye every series. Personally, they should've just left the Astros in the NL and left the whole thing as is, I didn't see a big problem with it.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,986 times
2 home & 2 away vs each interleague opponent.
3 home & 3 away vs each league opponent.
4 home & 4 away vs each division opponent.
Season is reduced by 10 games while each team travels to every market.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,939,325 times
Yeah, it's a good setup right now. Don't forget interleague play only began 20 years ago, but just a moment in the history of the sport. The schedule set up works well, keeping the divisional rivalries going, but offering opposing league teams. Nothing to fix here.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:01 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,039,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62917 View Post
2 home & 2 away vs each interleague opponent.
3 home & 3 away vs each league opponent.
4 home & 4 away vs each division opponent.
Season is reduced by 10 games while each team travels to every market.
Expenses go up and revenues go down. I imagine some would see that as a problem.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:34 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,985,834 times
162 games a year is about 40 too many.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,854,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im looking at the Braves schedule and they play the Mets, Phillies, Miami, and the Nationals 19 times a piece and dont even play the Yankees once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I would go crazy if they did that in basketball I had to see the 76ers, Wizards, and Knicks 8-10 times a year and never get to see any of the western conference teams.
Comparing MLB's schedule to that of the NBA is silly.

In baseball, the majority of the playoff teams are division winners, and in getting a bye and not having to risk everything in a one-game do-or-die round - and baseball is a game where in almost all seasons, even the best teams lose more than a third of their games - there is tremendous value.

Conversely, in the NBA winning your division is almost meaningless. NBA teams play their divisional opponents a mere four times. And they play the same number of games against the majority of the non-divisional teams in their conference. Sorry, but I can think of no other word than 'idiotic' to describe playing the same number of games against a bunch of non-divisional teams as you do against your divisional rivals. Winning a division doesn't even guarantee a team a seed above another team that doesn't win its division. The NBA should just scrap the divisions entirely and end the pretense.

If a league is going to divide its teams into divisions/conferences, the schedule needs to be weighted to concentrate games against those teams in the same division, and to a lesser extent in the same conference, and the postseason format needs to reflect the value of winning a division. It fosters rivalries and actually makes competitive and mathematical sense.

MLB has its issues, but unlike the NBA its scheduling is sound.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM

73,139 posts, read 62,851,157 times
Probably marketing. NYY vs Boston, LA vs SF,etc.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 PM

73,139 posts, read 62,851,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Expenses go up and revenues go down. I imagine some would see that as a problem.
Seattle Mariners have a big problem when it comes to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball