Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM

484 posts, read 471,667 times

Advertisements

I love seeing the quirks in the MLB schedule every year. That, say, the Cubs and Cardinals' last game against each other in 2004 was in mid-July or that Team A plays Team B six times in its home park before going to Team B, etc., is just one of those things.
I don't have a problem with the way divisional scheduling is set up now. Divisional teams should play each other a lot because those teams are fighting for the same thing.
Personally, I wish teams played within their divisions a lot early in the season simply because those games are easy to make up if weather - especially here in the Midwest - forces postponements. Every so often, MLB does a smart job with its April scheduling. Other years, the Mets are visiting Minnesota in mid-April while Tampa Bay is visiting Cleveland. The schedule will never be perfect, but steps can be taken in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:08 PM

484 posts, read 471,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
My problem with interleague play is this: If the NL goes to the AL, the NL pitchers can't bat which ticks me off because I do not like the designated hitter rule. However, if the AL comes to the NL, the AL pitchers get to bat which I like.
I would love to see, at least on an experimental basis, one season where AL rules are followed in the NL parks and vice-versa.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:30 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,416,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
I would love to see, at least on an experimental basis, one season where AL rules are followed in the NL parks and vice-versa.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 PM

745 posts, read 483,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think the division biased schedule is a strength of baseball. It makes their divisions and playoff races real. To win your division, you really have to beat the teams in your division to legitimize your division title. Even the wild card race has elements of this league wide, giving some legitimacy to more games against teams in your own league.
Games against the opposite league are really there more as exhibitions for MLB to cash in on some extra TV ratings and gate attendance for "cross town/rivalry" and add a little value to the TV contract. Beyond those special series, there is not a lot of pent up paying customer demand for teams to really ditch their true division rivals to play all of the opposite league. MLB extra innings is there for anyone wanting to check out all 30 clubs. (Obviously I dislike interleague play, I would ditch it altogether before expanding it).
I'm with you, and you seem to understand the reason there are more games against division opponents. It is to create a rivalry for the division crown and create the interest in the race.

This concept is as old as baseball itself, and it is what keeps me (and I believe anyone who follows baseball) interested even in the west coast teams (or the teams of a division where your favorite team is not), to see how they are doing.

Cubs-Cards, Giants-Dodgers and Yankees-Red Sox are rivalries that deserve extra games each year.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:39 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,429,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
My problem with interleague play is this: If the NL goes to the AL, the NL pitchers can't bat which ticks me off because I do not like the designated hitter rule. However, if the AL comes to the NL, the AL pitchers get to bat which I like.
I honestly wish they'd scrap the DH, in the AL. And as of the 2020 season, MLB Comish Rob Manfred added it to the NL, which was totally unnecessary! Let's remember before the 1970s (I think) that the DH wasn't a thing at all in AL ballparks, and all pitchers(even AL ones) batted. To me I always have found it fun to see the pitchers bat, to see how coaches will use strategy on such at bats. But to each their own.

For the record I'm not a 100% purist, and I don't even mind interleague play. I'm okay with the current setup of most games being within your own division, though. That said, I wish the Astros could've stayed in the NL Central. And I'd be okay with a little more MLB expansion, though at this point the debate is which cities would get a new MLB team. I'm a little surprised MLB is considering a new Expos team, considering Montreal didn't have good attendance years ago. Maybe MLB attendance would improve there, if a new stadium was built to replace Olympic Stadium? I'd like to see that observation deck above Olympic Stadium remain, since it does allow for some REALLY great views of Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball