Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
If they win 2 of 3 against Pittsburgh and sweep the Cardinals they very well could put the division on ice.
The Cubs swept the Pirates at the same time the Cardinals were swept. The Cubs host the Cardinals for a three-game series. If the Cardinals do not get their act together, the Cubs' lead in the National League Central Division will increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:21 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,559,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Cubs swept the Pirates at the same time the Cardinals were swept. The Cubs host the Cardinals for a three-game series. If the Cardinals do not get their act together, the Cubs' lead in the National League Central Division will increase.
And the Cubs just got swept by my Cards. Things are changing now. Look out, Cubs fans; St Louis is not going away!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
All of these "official/unofficial" team discussions, but very little about the lovable cubbies...what gives?
This thread was going on last year for the Cubs.
2015 Chicago Cubs Season

Don't worry, come playoff time the bandwagon will fill up.

I see the Cubs entire infield could land in the All-Star game. Mercy
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16...-all-star-vote

Last edited by everwinter; 06-28-2016 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: forgot to hit the quote button

Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,654 times
Cubs fans hoping the Cubs will follow the Cavs & break the curse.

Editor's Desk: Hoping Chicago Cubs can follow Cavs to break curse, maybe | Northwest Herald

Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
This thread was going on last year for the Cubs.
2015 Chicago Cubs Season

Don't worry, come playoff time the bandwagon will fill up.

I see the Cubs entire infield could land in the All-Star game. Mercy
Cubs' entire infield, Dexter Fowler still leading NL All-Star vote
When I want to talk baseball or really any sport I keep that to other sites. This site isn't that great for sports talk.

The All-Star Game should be the Cubs v. the MLB.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
When I want to talk baseball or really any sport I keep that to other sites. This site isn't that great for sports talk.

The All-Star Game should be the Cubs v. the MLB.
Or the Cubs vs the Mets.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:22 AM

431 posts, read 98,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Or the Cubs vs the Mets.
I heard NY Mets has already swept the Cubbies over last weekend. Poor, poor Cubbies. They repeated the NLCS by last season.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:56 PM

484 posts, read 468,372 times
1-3 vs the Reds and Braves this week is inexcusable. Period. You can feel the team pressing as you watch the game. Early in the season, they were playing free and easy and far closer to their potential and it showed. That overachieving is the only reason the division is not in question (yet) despite these horrible past three weeks.
If they lose 2 of 3 or get swept in Pittsburgh, both of which are entirely possible, look out. I was hoping after Monday's game i could start worrying more about the Nationals and Giants as we fight for the best record in the NL than the Cardinals and Pirates. Oh well.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmave View Post
1-3 vs the Reds and Braves this week is inexcusable. Period. You can feel the team pressing as you watch the game. Early in the season, they were playing free and easy and far closer to their potential and it showed. That overachieving is the only reason the division is not in question (yet) despite these horrible past three weeks.
If they lose 2 of 3 or get swept in Pittsburgh, both of which are entirely possible, look out. I was hoping after Monday's game i could start worrying more about the Nationals and Giants as we fight for the best record in the NL than the Cardinals and Pirates. Oh well.
I shouldn't be leaning on the panic button just yet. The Cubs and the Giants are two clubs at the opposite end of the luck spectrum recently. Chicago's + 148 runs still tops the majors by a lot. The Giants have outscored their opponents by just 46 runs. By Pythag expectations, the standings should be:
Cubs 59-26
Giants 51-36

The Cubs are seven games worse than their expected win total, the Giants are three wins better.

What accounts for the difference is San Francisco's uncommon good fortune in one run games, a 20-10 record. The Cubs are 10-14 in one run games. If there is such a thing as "ability" to win one run games, it has never been detected in baseball's numbers. Performance in these contests vary wildly from year to year. For example, last season the Cubs were a sparkling 34-21 in one run games, while SF was a poor 19-28. Unless you want to argue that last year's Cubs were chockablock with clutchiness and this year they have all turned into chokers, then luck is the predominant determining factor in one run game records.

Luck tends to even out the larger the database becomes.

Last edited by Grandstander; 07-08-2016 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 16 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Cubs fans hoping the Cubs will follow the Cavs & break the curse.

Editor's Desk: Hoping Chicago Cubs can follow Cavs to break curse, maybe | Northwest Herald
Provided, of course, the Indians don't win the World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball