Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should instant replay be used in baseball
No/should not be used in baseball 10 35.71%
Yes/it should be used in baseball 18 64.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:30 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times

Advertisements

I personally support instant replay in baseball because, like football, basketball, and hockey or any other sport that uses instant replay, if an umpire makes a bad call, he should have the ability to review it. Though sometimes umpires don't review correctly and keep the call the same.

Angel Hernandez for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npksWFX3Vnw

Even after reviewing the play, he still ruled a double and that won the game for the Cleveland Indians. Replay shows that the ball hit above the yellow line and that should have been the game tying home run.

For some other calls like: Jim Joyce-Armando Gallaragga, Jerry Meals blown calls against the Pirates and Red Sox, Don Dekinger's call in the 1985 World Series, the Jeffrey Maier incident in the Game 1 of the 1996 ALCS, and some others. If they would have had instant replay back then, those calls would have been overturned.

I don't understand why some baseball fans don't like it. Who cares? It's very helpful because it's used to help umpires get the call right. Instant replay in Major League Baseball was brought in full time two years ago. This is why I like instant replay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I think that it is a necessity in that the replays are made instantly available to the fans watching on TV. We are able to tell with much more precision whether someone was safe or out. In such circumstances, it seems foolish to have the call made by umpires who do not enjoy the replay advantage since they are less well informed than the fans at home.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM

82 posts, read 91,048 times
Yes, but I don't think the coach should get a minute to decide whether to challenge or not.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:37 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Yes, especially if it doesn't slow down play a great deal. If the review is prompt, then I can't think of a good argument against it.

Lots of bang-bang plays out there that a slow-mo camera would ensure that the right call is made.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:41 PM

759 posts, read 637,126 times
As long as replay isn't used in ball/strike calls... We don't need any "So what is a ball? So what is a strike?"

You know, like the NFL has their "So can anyone define a catch?" garbage.... the player has to have both hands in firm control of the ball as he brings it to his body being careful not to fart as he comes down to the ground because it might dislodge the ball .02 millimeters and therefore not be a catch.

The micromanagement of replays like what happens in the NFL is exactly what instant replay shouldn't be...

Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I'd prefer that instant replay/review be banned in all sports -- for the simple reason that it further politicizes sport. You'll undoubtedly see a bad call occasionally, but the concept of a constant potential for whining to an authority figure is what got all of sport (and the nation itself) in the mess it's in today,

Old 07-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'd prefer that instant replay/review be banned in all sports -- for the simple reason that it further politicizes sport. You'll undoubtedly see a bad call occasionally, but the concept of a constant potential for whining to an authority figure is what got all of sport (and the nation itself) in the mess it's in today,
There is nothing political about wanting to get the correct call. Nor is some manager saying "We challenge that call" any sort of definition of whining.

Ironically it is you who are the only one introducing politics to the thread with your comment about how you think the nation is a mess.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:23 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There is nothing political about wanting to get the correct call. Nor is some manager saying "We challenge that call" any sort of definition of whining.

Ironically it is you who are the only one introducing politics to the thread with your comment about how you think the nation is a mess.
I stand by my original point -- I've heard a number of other people (admittedly, most of them in middle age and above) who aren't impressed with the "legitimization of bickering" that has been introduced into sports culture.

"Politics" in the day-to-day use of the word has little to do with it, and I apologize for my poor choice of words in that context. But the point remains: The occasional "bad call' is a part of the game, and part of life, and too much sensitivity undermines one of life's necessary lessons.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The occasional "bad call' is a part of the game, and part of life, and too much sensitivity undermines one of life's necessary lessons.
It was part of the game until we had the means to improve the accuracy.

That things are "part of life" is hardly some reason for accepting them as perpetual. Polio was once a common part of life, we do not seem to be missing that.

Precisely what vital lesson do you think we should be abstracting from missed calls in sporting events? That since we get some things wrong, we should never look for ways to try and get them right?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:07 PM

759 posts, read 637,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It was part of the game until we had the means to improve the accuracy.
As I said in my previous post... it's the micromanagement of replays that has to go. Not really a problem (yet) in MLB... but it's a huge reason as to why NFL replay is a complete joke.

Can anyone clearly define what is a catch and what isn't a catch in the NFL? Didn't think so. But hey, we can at least slow the replay down to that point .00000003 seconds after the receiver caught the ball to see the ball move .00003 of an inch while in his grasp...

So... NO CATCH!

Hopefully MLB won't ruin replay like the NFL did...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball