Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 AM

636 posts, read 390,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Yes, he's typically above average when he pitches. That is exactly the problem with him, though. Since 2012, he has thrown 50 or more regular season innings only once - in 2015. You basically know that he's going to spend the vast majority of the season the DL. I just couldn't deal with that headache if I were a GM or a manager and I certainly wouldn't give him a guaranteed contract knowing he's likely to pitch fewer than 50 innings for me (not including playoffs).
50 innings has value.
Relievers who pitch about 50 innings have value.

The Cubs have him what,four million bucks? That's figurative pocket change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 01:10 AM

9,704 posts, read 7,376,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Players get paid for what they do when they pitch.
When he pitches, he's pretty good.

And he also only pitches what....10 games a year if he's lucky??

Old 02-03-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
And he also only pitches what....10 games a year if he's lucky??
Who cares?

A team needs 162 starts - at minimum. There are plenty to go around.

If you can cover 10 of them with Brett Anderson for $5 million instead of Eddie Butler, Aaron Brooks, Dallas Beeler and Pierce Johnson then you should probably do that.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,683,888 times
Sergio Romo signs with LA. Will take awhile to get used to seeing him in Dodger Blue.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Sergio Romo signs with LA. Will take awhile to get used to seeing him in Dodger Blue.
Hmm...
Hope he works out better than that other bearded Giants reliever did.

Not sure where he'll fit into the Dodgers' pen which already seemed, to me, overfull.
Jansen
Dayton
Baez
Avilan
Fields
Nuno/Liberatore
Hatcher

That's 7. The Dodgers did use 8 reliever a lot last year.
They might choose to go with 2 lefties instead of 3, but options. Nuno and Avilan are out of options - they are probably the 2 worst lefties with Dayton certainly being better and Liberatore's looked good.

They might choose Romo over Fields or Hatcher, but, same situation. Hatcher's been pretty bad since coming to LA, but he's out of options while Fields can be sent down.

Then, there's the question of the Dodgers' extra starters and possibly moving some of them to the pen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You can never have too much pitching

Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Hmm...
Hope he works out better than that other bearded Giants reliever did.

Not sure where he'll fit into the Dodgers' pen which already seemed, to me, overfull.
Jansen
Dayton
Baez
Avilan
Fields
Nuno/Liberatore
Hatcher

That's 7. The Dodgers did use 8 reliever a lot last year.
They might choose to go with 2 lefties instead of 3, but options. Nuno and Avilan are out of options - they are probably the 2 worst lefties with Dayton certainly being better and Liberatore's looked good.

They might choose Romo over Fields or Hatcher, but, same situation. Hatcher's been pretty bad since coming to LA, but he's out of options while Fields can be sent down.

Then, there's the question of the Dodgers' extra starters and possibly moving some of them to the pen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You can never have too much pitching
MLB Network and MLB. com are reporting that it's a done deal. Friedman is waiting for the medicals. John Heyman of FANRAG says it's not a done deal.

They'll use him as KJ's setup man in the 8th. You're right - they used a lot of different guys in that spot last year. I think Hatcher will be gone. The rest will get their chance to impress in ST. They have 11 relievers (+Wood - he's OK with coming out of the pen), and maybe 1 or 2 other starters, as you mentioned. Liberatore has 2 options, so he could be sent down, but I hope he makes the team.

Blanton is older than Romo and probably wanted a 2-year deal. I had no trouble getting used to other ex-Giants like Butler and Kent, so maybe I'll warm up to Romo after he has a few nice appearances. I really thought that the team was fine before this transaction, but I guess the FO thought otherwise, re having a dedicated setup guy.

The other bearded Giants reliever - Wilson -was great after the TJ surgery. It was the next year that was a disaster. That guy was intense, too.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The other bearded Giants reliever - Wilson -was great after the TJ surgery. It was the next year that was a disaster. That guy was intense, too.
Brian Wilson eyeing MLB return as a knuckleball pitcher
Trying to come back as a knuckleballer

Old 02-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Brian Wilson eyeing MLB return as a knuckleball pitcher
Trying to come back as a knuckleballer
More power to him.

He's healthy, not too old, has developed his knuckler, and the $$ won't be bad either, provided that he can land a job out of ST somewhere.

Doubt if the LAD would be interested, though. They already have 12 relievers battling for 6 spots, and 4-7 starters trying to fill the last opening. Since Urias will probably not come up until May, some of those guys will get an extra start or two to show off their stuff.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:55 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,932,271 times
Following the passing of Mike Ilitch there was been some rumors that the Ilitch family may end up selling the Detroit Tigers. All unsubstantiated thus far but Mike was a huge baseball fan while the family is known to be more interested in the Red Wings. If the ball club is sold, I hope it ends up in the hands of folks who care about Detroit as much as Mike Ilitch did.

RIP.

Tigers, Red Wings owner and pizza titan Mike Ilitch dead at 87

Old 02-11-2017, 05:27 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,999,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Following the passing of Mike Ilitch there was been some rumors that the Ilitch family may end up selling the Detroit Tigers. All unsubstantiated thus far but Mike was a huge baseball fan while the family is known to be more interested in the Red Wings. If the ball club is sold, I hope it ends up in the hands of folks who care about Detroit as much as Mike Ilitch did.

RIP.

Tigers, Red Wings owner and pizza titan Mike Ilitch dead at 87
Jeff Loria has the Marlins up for sale and expects to make a huge killing. He will be flush with $ so maybe he can buy the Tigers and turn them into a non competitive profit machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball