Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:54 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

Tim Tebow warms up in wrong on-deck circle at Mets debut | SI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Story today out of Florida about some woman arrested for stalking him. FYI: I read somewhere that he struck out in his first at-bat and gave the Ump a dirty look.

Excerpts from the story: "a Colorado woman named Michelle Marie Thompson, who told authorities she was in a "romantic" and "matrimonial" relationship with the former Heisman Trophy winner....An officer asked the woman for her driver’s license and noticed a small sticker on the back that stated “I (heart symbol) Jesus/Tim Tebow.”

Can't make this stuff up. Ringling Bros may be going out of business, but there's always a circus somewhere in America....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Tebow offended tradition, but come to think of it, why shouldn't a batter select which on deck circle he wants to use? A left handed hitter is much better positioned to watch the pitcher work if he is in the firstbase side circle, and vice versa for right handed batters. It isn't as though the opposing team needs to use that on deck circle when they are in the field, so why not make them both available to the hitting team?

Old 03-05-2018, 08:13 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
It's unbelievable that the Mets are doubling down on this publicity stunt, to the point of having Tim Tebow on the spring training roster.

Normally, guys who have a .656 OPS at the Class-A level are not going to be working out with the big club the following spring, but normal does not apply here, apparently. What message does this send by the Mets organization to the guys in their system who have paid their dues, only to give up a roster spot and ABs to who amounts to a celebrity trying to play baseball?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:05 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
Easy, money. He puts butts in seats and brings in media coverage. That's a win for a fairly mediocre team. It's also doubtful that any quality player is losing APs because Tebow is there.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Easy, money. He puts butts in seats and brings in media coverage.
That's great if you're the Newark Bears or some other indie minor league outfit, but for a big league franchise in the largest market in America - it's pretty weak. Especially going into its second year now, and especially with the GM saying publicly with a straight face that it's because Tebow has some sort of future in major league baseball. That should get you fired from a general manager post in a respectable organization.

If I was a player in the Mets organization denied a shot because of a publicity stunt, I'd definitely think less of it, especially when fools on the Internet who can barely get a bat around on a ball at their local putt-putt batting cage can just say "well, there's probably nobody better anyway."

Old 03-06-2018, 08:57 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
That's great if you're the Newark Bears or some other indie minor league outfit, but for a big league franchise in the largest market in America - it's pretty weak. Especially going into its second year now, and especially with the GM saying publicly with a straight face that it's because Tebow has some sort of future in major league baseball. That should get you fired from a general manager post in a respectable organization.

If I was a player in the Mets organization denied a shot because of a publicity stunt, I'd definitely think less of it, especially when fools on the Internet who can barely get a bat around on a ball at their local putt-putt batting cage can just say "well, there's probably nobody better anyway."
Yankees called up Russell Wilson. It's all about generating Spring Training revenue.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:30 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,987 times
And as I said, no real prospect is losing APs or a spot for Tebow, or Wilson. Managers aren't that dumb, GMs maybe but not the real baseball guys. Now if it can be shown that someone lost a spot because of this, then yeah, I'd have a problem with it as well. Otherwise, it doesn't bother me. Spring training is fun and a way to get back into baseball for the summer.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 AM

If you have no prospects losing a shot because of stunts like these, it's basically a measure of failure for that organization and its farm system. And, thus, its GM.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

I'm just glad that he's not playing here (Las Vegas, home of the Mets' AAA farm club).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball