Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 04:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
At first I thought they traded Tauchman for Peter Lambert, but they got Phil Diehl for him. Diehl pitched only 2 innings for the Rockies and has an ERA of 18.00. Tauchman's been a gold mine for the Yankees. Rockies may have gotten fleeced on that one.

Lambert was actually drafted by the Rockies 4 years ago.
Yeah, and Diehl's not doing much in the minors either.

In Bridich's "defense", the Rockies did have a crowded outfield, but still.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Default Bryan Shaw is just the worst...

Gave up 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th last night (two were charged to Freeland), and the Rockies lost 8-7. The guy has been pure trash since they signed him, and they're stuck with him through next season.

On top of that, his 2021 option ($9 million) fully vests if he appears in 3 more games this year. They're really not THAT stupid are they? He shouldn't be within 150 feet of a pitcher's mound for the rest of the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Some good(ish) Rockies news. The language around Bryan Shaw's 2021 option vesting is apparently incorrect. It only vests if he gets 60 appearances next year. So they got that goin' for 'em...which is nice.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Well, the last few weeks have been as dormant for the club as this thread has been. But the Rockies DID beat the Cardinals last night, with Nolan Arenado socking a 482 ft. home run. All I can say is the Rockies are DAMN lucky to have him!

Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Well, the last few weeks have been as dormant for the club as this thread has been. But the Rockies DID beat the Cardinals last night, with Nolan Arenado socking a 482 ft. home run. All I can say is the Rockies are DAMN lucky to have him!
Yeah they are, but he can opt out in 2 more seasons so if they don't fix Bridich's Bullpen Blunders they may not have him for long.

Got an email from the Rockies yesterday. They're practically giving away tickets for Friday Night's Padres game. 2 tix AND a parking pass for $20. The parking pass is $16 IIRC. I'm not going heh.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Nothing definite on the web, the talk stations have been yakking non stop though. I hate to see Blackmon go, I've always liked him. Sounds like the Rockies just wants to unload salary.
Blackmon hits .388 in the thin air, but only .256 otherwise. His home/away split is likely the widest performance gap in MLB. One of his best tools is his speed, but he's losing that due to his age. Look at his stolen bases & caught stealing trend.

Lastly, while he's been healthy the last few years, but early on, he was always getting injured. He's had a fragile past which might be why they don't let him try to steal bases anymore. Or, has he just lost too much speed to even try to steal bases anymore?

Charlie Blackmon Stats, Splits - Colorado Rockies - ESPN

I don't think the Rockies will get much for him, so better to keep him, and let him play out his contract.

The Rockies need pitching. How many years of having one of the best offenses and one of the worst pitching staffs is it going to take for ownership to make changes? They could learn from the Rays. The Rays have one of the top 3 pitching staffs, lowest payroll in MLB, and will likely make the plyoffs. Pitching wins games.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
I'm sure the Rockies will fire their manager. They can have Kapler.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I'm sure the Rockies will fire their manager. They can have Kapler.
The Rockies need to fire their owner. Its been the same things for years...all hitting, no pitching.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Rockies need to fire their owner. Its been the same things for years...all hitting, no pitching.
It's a quandary really.

Some of the bigger name free agents that come here (Desmond, Murphy) can't hit as well here for some reason. The homegrown guys seem to figure it out just fine (but some struggle when they leave).

Who really can pitch here? We've learned over the last several years that shelling out big money for relievers is a wasted effort.

Were each of the playoff appearances flukes? Find the fluke formula maybe?

I don't think the Rockies have a Bud Black problem. The Monforts only care that people show up to spend money, and they're still showing up for the Rooftop and for away teams. I don't think Bridich knows what he's doing, but does anybody really?

If it were me running the team:
-Homegrow position players. Pay the ones who prove they can perform here (Arenado, Story, Blackmon, McMahon, etc). Take hauls of prospects in trades instead of established players, if the Yankees want somebody, make them trade away the farm.
-Homegrow all the pitching. It's a crapshoot whether they're going to succeed here or not anyway. Why chase big name free agents to only have their careers ruined/derailed by Coors Field?
-Cheap free agents only. Journeymen, Yonder Alonso/Mark Reynolds types. Give washed up pitchers another chance (i.e. Glendon Rusch in the late 2000's). Don't pay them big. If they work out, they work out. No more Desmonds. No more Davis's. Actually BUILD a team.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Some good news for the Rox. Nolan Arenado won his 7th straight gold glove. He's got one for every year he's been in the majors. Getting really hard for the haters to deny that he's on track to bypass Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson as the best defensive third-baseman of all-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball