Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 07:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

I said I would be satisfied with a 2-2 performance in Los Angeles and I got it. The team showed some tenacity today, coming back off of that gutless performance Saturday. They've reached the break in much better shape than I would have expected and the playoffs are still very much in reach. I believe they open with a long home stand after the break, so that can be a chance to get back to .500 and better if they start hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 AM

Big disappointment last night. After a few days off and DLR going against the Cubs, I really expected better from the club last night. It's just one game, but they need to take control of this thing now and not let up.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
DeLaRosa pitched well enough to win, only gave up 1 run in 6 fine innings but the Rox only scored 1 run for him; the bullpen gave up 2 runs to let the Cubs take a 3-1 victory. On the bright side, Dexter had a HR and Tulo had two hits, i.e., they were 3 of the only 5 hits the Rox eked out. Fowler drew a walk but got picked off. If I read the box score correctly, Cuddyer grounded into 2 double plays.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM

Finally, the Rockies take a series, 2-1, versus the Cubs this weekend. The bats came alive on Saturday night when they scored 9 runs.

Today, the Rox had only 5 hits compared to Chicago's 10, but we still managed to win 4-3. I was biting my nails as Rex Brothers gave up a run in the 9th and then walked the next guy before finally shutting it down for the win and earning the save. Chatwood got the win and is now 6-3.

Perhaps the Rockies are turning a corner here and ripe for a winning streak, especially with lowly Miami coming in for 4 games, but Miami got shut out in three straight games in Milwaukee this weekend and will be chomping at the bit to clobber someone, anyone.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-21-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Perhaps the Rockies are turning a corner here and ripe for a winning streak, especially with lowly Miami coming in for 4 games, but Miami got shut out in three straight games in Milwaukee this weekend and will be chomping at the bit to clobber someone, anyone.
Despite the Marlins bringing in the worst record in the National League (and second worse in all of MLB), I am not sure what to expect for this 4 game set. The Marlins are a team that historically has given the Rockies fits, no matter who is suiting up. It'll give me a great deal of confidence to see the Rox take 3 of 4 in this set.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 PM

And there you have it, sports fans. The Rockies go 1-3 at home against the worst team in the NL. This is what I was worried about. Oh well, fretting isn't going to change the outcome. Time for the Brewers. Hopefully they can end this homestand on a good note. It's a murder's row on the ensuing road trip. This could be the beginning of the end for the Rockies' season. I hope not.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 PM

Losing 3 of 4 to lowly Miami, especially while playing at home in Coors Field, may be the last straw for the owners who might feel a need to do something and shake up the team, but not sure what that might be short of firing most of the bullpen.

Series at a glance. Marlins outscored the Rockies 13-8....and that's for FOUR games. Hell, the Rox often score 8 runs in one game. We're now 49-54 with the season 64% over; are 5 games behind the Dodgers in the NL West, and are 10 games behind in the Wild Card race.

Tonight's game was especially a kick in the gut with the Rox behind by only 1-0 in the top of the 9th when relief pitcher Lopez gave up FOUR runs. That really sucks. The Rockies gave it a mighty try in the bottom of the 9th when they scored 3 runs but Herrera hit into a DP with two runners on base to end the game.

Rockies bullpen is killing us, repeatedly.

I dunno, I just think that something is very wrong but no one is talking about it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-25-2013 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM

The ten game home stand is over, Rox went 5-5; just not good enough to help their race for the playoffs. Should've been 7-3 against these weaker teams when playing at home. Miami just happened to get hot here and win 3 of 4, then Miami went on to 2 of 3 from a powerful Pittsburgh in the Steel City. Oh well.

We did manage to take 2 of 3 from the Brewers but it was a struggle today though the Rockies looked like the team of old, coming from behind twice to finally win the game.

Ironic thing is that Belisle got the win, which Chacin should've gotten. Score was 4-3 when Belisle came in to pitch the top of the 8th, i.e., Chacin was poised to win if that score had held, but it didn't, as Belisle gave up a double and a HR to put the Rockies behind 5-4. In the bottom of the 8th the Rockies scored two runs to go ahead 6-5.

Brothers came in to pitch the 9th and managed to get 3 outs but not before there was added drama. With two outs, R. Weeks hits a tapper back to Brothers, who promptly turns to first and lobs a floater so high Helton had to do an NBA jump to snag the ball but not get his foot down before Weeks' hit the bag. Next batter popped out harmlessly but it seems that the bullpen is jinxed to always have drama going on.

Rox stand at 51-55 (.481) are 6.0 behind the Dodgers (who knew!) and 3.5 behind AZ. We're 8.0 games back in the Wild Card race.

Rafael Betancourt is back on the DL with appendicitis. McHugh who gave up six runs on Saturday night and was the loser was sent back down to the minors after one day in the bigs, and Jeff Francis was called up from the minors for bullpen duty.

The bats seem to be coming around with FOUR solo HRs today but the relief pitching is still a sore spot; if the bullpen improves we have a shot at it.

On to Atlanta tomorrow for 3 games.

Season is 2/3 over, time for the Rockies to get moving.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
On to Atlanta tomorrow for 3 games.
It's 4 games at Atlanta, 3 at Pittsburgh, then 3 at NY Mets. This is not going to be an easy road trip at all. It was disappointing to see the team go 5-5 in their home stand. Now they have 10 on the road. If they can go 5-5 on this road trip it would be a win. 6-4 is better.

Go Rockies!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM

Egads! Lost to Atlanta in 10 innings, 9-8. DeLaRosa gave up EIGHT runs, six of them in the 3rd inning.

Why would they leave a guy in after giving up 4 runs and still having runners on base. I know Arenado made a throwing error that allowed a run to score, but still, it was obvious that DLR didn't have his stuff tonight but Weiss left him in and he ended up allowing six runs. Weiss left him in for the 4th and 5th too and DLR gave up two more runs in the 5th. I know the Rockies can be a good hitting team, but it's damned hard to beat a team that you spot an 8 runs.

Still the Rockies almost did it. Todd Helton came to bat in the top of the 9th with bases loaded and two outs. He lined the first pitch up the middle, but the pitcher was able to reach up and stab it.

In the bottom of the 10th, Escalona came in to pitch and walked the first batter (sound of man screaming about walking the lead off batter in extra innings) which was immediately followed by a triple that won the game for Atlanta.

These are the games you wish you could have back for a do-over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball