Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So.....we can close the chapter on the Yankees signing Harper and Machado.

Harper's days in the Bronx were numbered back in November or December of 2017 when they traded for Giancarlo Stanton, and Machado's days in the Bronx were officially numbered today when the Yankees signed DJ LaMahieu a week or so after signing Troy Tulowitski. So, Yankee fans clamoring for Machado and or Harper, your off season has seen James Paxton (ok good pickup), Tulowitski and LaMahieu How do you feel about that??

By the way, now we can narrow down the Harper & Machado sweepstakes.
Machado to Philly, and as I've been saying now for the last 2 weeks (even though I don't want it to happen) Harper back to the Nats. Hopefully only for a 1 year deal or a 2 or 3 year deal with an opt out after this year. I knew the longer Harper stayed on the FA market, the more likely it was he was going to return to DC

Overpriced "good" players IMO.

Machado - no hustle.
Harper - no consistency.

= not worthy or worth the $ they seem to feel they're entitled to and any team owner that pays such is a fool IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So.....we can close the chapter on the Yankees signing Harper and Machado.

Harper's days in the Bronx were numbered back in November or December of 2017 when they traded for Giancarlo Stanton, and Machado's days in the Bronx were officially numbered today when the Yankees signed DJ LaMahieu a week or so after signing Troy Tulowitski. So, Yankee fans clamoring for Machado and or Harper, your off season has seen James Paxton (ok good pickup), Tulowitski and LaMahieu How do you feel about that??

By the way, now we can narrow down the Harper & Machado sweepstakes.
Machado to Philly, and as I've been saying now for the last 2 weeks (even though I don't want it to happen) Harper back to the Nats. Hopefully only for a 1 year deal or a 2 or 3 year deal with an opt out after this year. I knew the longer Harper stayed on the FA market, the more likely it was he was going to return to DC
Jeez, the team is making about $300 mil more in annual revenues than last decade but spending less. If they have the highest revenues and charge so much for seats, they shouldn't be passing on all the top FAs. Where is the money going? I wonder if they'll substantially lower ticket prices...

Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
On a sad note today, Yankees and Mets pitching great Mel Stottlemyer passed away at age 77 after a long battle with bone marrow cancer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Overpriced "good" players IMO.

Machado - no hustle.
Harper - no consistency.

= not worthy or worth the $ they seem to feel they're entitled to and any team owner that pays such is a fool IMO.
Are the Steinbrenners worth $600 mil a year? That's what the organization is taking in. And they're spending a lower percentage of revenues on players than any other team. As a fraction of team revenue, the salaries Harper and Machado are looking at are pocket change. Those players aren't perfect but they're darn good at a lot of things. They're legitimately called generational talents. I wouldn't mind passing on one of them or even both if we were adding other excellent FAs, but something is fishy when the team with the highest revenue passes on every leading free agent.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:55 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
On a sad note today, Yankees and Mets pitching great Mel Stottlemyer passed away at age 77 after a long battle with bone marrow cancer.
He came along with the Yankees when the club was starting to run on fumes. He was called up from the minors in the '64 season around the halfway point and went 9-3 with them. Who did he face in the '64 World Series? The St. Louis Cardinals and Bob Gibson, faced them 3 times, won one game. And he was just a rookie. For the next decade the Yankees weren't a factor in MLB and I blame CBS Broadcasting network for that. They owned the club, they knew about bucks but didn't know about developing the minor league system. The former owners Dan Topping and Del webb didn't exactly sink a lot of bucks in it either in the last two years that they owned the club, another reason for the Yankees and their swan dive to the bottom of the american League in 1966. But Stottlemyre pitched as good a game as he could as the next several years were pretty thin.

He was an excellent pitching coach with both the Yankees and the Mets. You talk to Ron Darling and Andy Pettite and Roger Clemens and Doc Gooden and to a man they would tell you that he was the best coach one could ask for, not only advice and mentoring on the field but off the field as well.

He finished with a 164-139 record with a 2.97 ERA. Those stats are impressive when you think how the Yankees descended to the bottom in 1966 and only had average years for the next few years after that. I have no doubt that he would have had Whitey Ford stats if all those great yankees had gotten old at the same time. And his years as the Yankees pitching coach? He was a big reason for the Yankees success in their World Series run 20 years ago.

He was and is still one of my favorite Yankees. RIP, sir.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

He was an excellent pitching coach with both the Yankees and the Mets. You talk to Ron Darling and Andy Pettite and Roger Clemens and Doc Gooden and to a man they would tell you that he was the best coach one could ask for, not only advice and mentoring on the field but off the field as well.
Clemens famously threw Piazza's broken bat at him and went on to become one of the poster boys for PEDs. Pettite got popped for PEDs when he flunked a test. Gooden traded his career for a cocaine habit.

I would say that Stottlemyer's off field mentoring wasn't his strongest virtue.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Clemens famously threw Piazza's broken bat at him and went on to become one of the poster boys for PEDs. Pettite got popped for PEDs when he flunked a test. Gooden traded his career for a cocaine habit.

Guilty as charged. I was well aware of their issues.

OK, here is a quote from today's USA Today article on his death--from David Cone--"He was more than a great pitcher and a fantastic pitching coach. He was a father figure and touched so many in a positive way."

From the MLB website-- (from Joe Torre)--"Mel was a role model to us all and the toughest man I have ever met."

From Cincinnati.com---(Johnny Bench)--"My first MLB all star at bat as off Mel Stottlemyre. He was a class act and served the Yankees well."

SB Nation--(Pinstripe Alley)--from Ken Singleton- "So sad to hear the passing of Mel Stottlemyre, a very decent and kind man to say the least."

Will find more quotes later.

He had been battling cancer since he was officially diagnosed in 1999, . I have a neighbor who is battling this same type cancer. It is brutal, absolutely brutal.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-14-2019 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Wow. You just named 3 pitchers who made bad life choices out of the hundreds he coached. We don’t know about the people he was able to help. And next time, if you are going to criticize someone, at least spell their name right. “Grandstander” - that’s a perfect name.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Wow. You just named 3 pitchers who made bad life choices out of the hundreds he coached. We don’t know about the people he was able to help. And next time, if you are going to criticize someone, at least spell their name right. “Grandstander” - that’s a perfect name.
You didn't read very carefully. I didn't name those three players, Double H cited them as examples of players that Stottlemyer mentored. Go back and look. Then complain to Double H if you are so inclined.

And thanks for the gratuitous insult.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Poor Twinkies, such a pathetic franchise. Setting records for ineptitude here lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball