Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:16 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
IMHO there needs to be an owners salary cap limit that they cannot go over not even 1 penny, that'll bring down those astronomical contract amounts and have more parity within all of baseball.

Harper to fetch $400-$500 million according to his agent -
At this rate a $1 billion contract and or even giving "x" percent ownership of a team just for a player to be part of such is not far off IMO.

Something has got to give as fans will stop attending games because of the then ultra-high ticket and concession prices.

Not even the Yankees are that stupid to give in IMO.
Unless they subtract then add from their current payroll.
Well, this gets into all sorts of economics and ethics/fairness debates. I'm just saying that as long as the Red Sox spend $240 or $250 mil, I'll be pissed if the Yankees spend only $190. They can easily afford to spend whatever the Red Sox do.

For the record, I've never found arguments that producer/owner cost drives prices. I believe mainly product demand does. For example, if there is enough demand to sell a pizza pie for $10 but not $12, you will charge $10 - whether it cost you $1 or $6 to produce. And I don't feel bad for the owners. They're not going to be poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM

I doubt any other team’s fans spend more money than Yankees fans. So it looks like the Steinbrenners are just going to pocket that extra money. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:47 PM

I think Paxton is a good gamble. There is downside but he's great when healthy. He's never had an ERA above 3.90!

Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 AM

834 posts, read 529,103 times
I hate to defend the Yankees but they should be allowed to enjoy the low salary years of their young stars while they can. Judge will no doubt be paid Stanton+ money starting in 2023. He only earned $600k last year.

As far as a salary cap goes, I don't think anyone in baseball wants it. MLB wants higher revenues every year, by hook or by crook. Getting rid of the DH would keep salaries in check but that's the last thing the AL owners want.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
I hate to defend the Yankees but they should be allowed to enjoy the low salary years of their young stars while they can. Judge will no doubt be paid Stanton+ money starting in 2023. He only earned $600k last year.

As far as a salary cap goes, I don't think anyone in baseball wants it. MLB wants higher revenues every year, by hook or by crook. Getting rid of the DH would keep salaries in check but that's the last thing the AL owners want.
If they can beat Houston and Boston without increasing the payroll, I'm fine with that. Most Yankee fans are not happy being third best though.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:17 AM

So in 2004, the Yankees paid their players $226 mil and the team took in $264 mil in revenue. In 2017, they paid the players $193 mil and took in $620 mil! Where exactly is the extra $400 mil going?!

Quote:
The 2004 team reinvested roughly 85 percent of its revenue into player salaries while the 2018 version, based on some crude calculations, reinvested less than 30 percent, less even than the Tampa Bay Rays.
The Yankees Can Afford to Sign Both Bryce Harper and Manny Machado - River Avenue Blues

Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
So in 2004, the Yankees paid their players $226 mil and the team took in $264 mil in revenue. In 2017, they paid the players $193 mil and took in $620 mil! Where exactly is the extra $400 mil going?!

The Yankees Can Afford to Sign Both Bryce Harper and Manny Machado - River Avenue Blues
I think Machado ends up signing with the Yankees. But I've been telling these dopey Yankee fans for over a year the Stanton trade eliminated whatever miniscule chance the Yankees had at signing Harper, and I never thought the Yankees were really that interested in him anyways. The longer Harper stays on the market, the more likely it is he goes back to Washington.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I think Machado ends up signing with the Yankees. But I've been telling these dopey Yankee fans for over a year the Stanton trade eliminated whatever miniscule chance the Yankees had at signing Harper, and I never thought the Yankees were really that interested in him anyways. The longer Harper stays on the market, the more likely it is he goes back to Washington.
The Yankees used to grab generational talents like Harper and Machado and figure out the details later. They're now investing a lower percentage of their revenue in payroll than any other team. And we're worried about Stanton only hitting 40 HRs? They are bringing in $400 mil more revenues than in 2004 but spending no more on payroll. And we're worried about Stanton's 22 mil per year? It just doesn't add up. Either the non-payroll operating expenses are several hundreds of millions more than for any other team (which doesn't sound plausible) or the Steinbrenners are just pocketing several hundreds of millions annually rather than investing in the team.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
So.....we can close the chapter on the Yankees signing Harper and Machado.

Harper's days in the Bronx were numbered back in November or December of 2017 when they traded for Giancarlo Stanton, and Machado's days in the Bronx were officially numbered today when the Yankees signed DJ LaMahieu a week or so after signing Troy Tulowitski. So, Yankee fans clamoring for Machado and or Harper, your off season has seen James Paxton (ok good pickup), Tulowitski and LaMahieu How do you feel about that??

By the way, now we can narrow down the Harper & Machado sweepstakes.
Machado to Philly, and as I've been saying now for the last 2 weeks (even though I don't want it to happen) Harper back to the Nats. Hopefully only for a 1 year deal or a 2 or 3 year deal with an opt out after this year. I knew the longer Harper stayed on the FA market, the more likely it was he was going to return to DC

Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I do expect Nats to keep Harper, as LA will likely not go past 5 years for him.

As for NYY, top of rotation starters are the big need, but I see no path for them to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball